Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 19:20   #1

Boat: 2005 Riviera 47
Send a message via Skype™ to aussie riv 47
Cummins QSM11 shutdown

Hello All,
I wonder if any of you guys may be able to assist me with an intermittent shutdown problem on my Cummins 670hp QSM11 installed in a 2005 Riviera 47 with 600 hours. The problem is on the outbound journey from the marina all is fine but on the return leg after being at rest for 3 or 4 hours the starboard engine will just shutdown anywhere between 5 to 10 mins after being started. This normally occurs at idle . No warning codes are present. The engine will start again without issue.
Just had Cummins Service put the computer on it and no faults are in the ECM Memory. The local Cummins guys have not given me any indication of what may be causing this?
Has anyone in this forum had a similar issue.
Thanks in advance for a response.
aussie riv 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 09:52   #2

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher
Re: Cummins QSM11 shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie riv 47 View Post
Hello All,
I wonder if any of you guys may be able to assist me with an intermittent shutdown problem on my Cummins 670hp QSM11 installed in a 2005 Riviera 47 with 600 hours. The problem is on the outbound journey from the marina all is fine but on the return leg after being at rest for 3 or 4 hours the starboard engine will just shutdown anywhere between 5 to 10 mins after being started. This normally occurs at idle . No warning codes are present. The engine will start again without issue.
Just had Cummins Service put the computer on it and no faults are in the ECM Memory. The local Cummins guys have not given me any indication of what may be causing this?
Has anyone in this forum had a similar issue.
Thanks in advance for a response.
Swap the shutdown solenoids between engines and see if the problem manifests itself on the port engine. If so, you have your culprit.....
Old 17-05-2014, 00:55   #3

Thanks Pau,
I will give it a shot . I work month on month off and unfortunately have just started back at work. I will give it a go. Just for info the the Cummins tech mentioned a similar prob and it was the dc to dc converter which is a very expensive piece of equipment. I like your option first and it seems like something I can do that doesn't require a computer hook up. Thanks so much for your response. I will let you know the outcome.
Old 12-02-2015, 22:35   #4

Hi to those who read, wondered and commented on my dilemma . Well the problem has been solved by 2 things.
Firstly I have installed a yacht controller and during installation of jumping the connections on the ec-200 electronic thrust levers a chafed area was discovered on one of the wires.
Secondly the left engine supplies the 24volt power but the right engine is the master.
The left engine alternator was not coming online and remained around 21 to 22 volts. The fan belt was slipping so between both the chafing and belts tightened I have had 20 cruises without the problem of random shutdown recurring.
Happy cruising to all.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum