Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 12:46   #1

Crusader engine stalls when put in gear

I put the boat in forward and it stalls Crusader model 270 . Have a hard time starting really have to give it gas . Changed points plugs rotar wires fuel filters . I get gas to the carb but nothing going to carb . Disconected solenoid took off gas line and cranked it up ang got fuel. fuel pump ok. What are the chances the carb is shot , hoping not a engine .. Any thoughts ??? Thanks
furtoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 13:55   #2

Re: Crusader engine stalls when put in gear

I just had the same problem on my Westerbeke 42. It would run fine at the dock in idle, but when I put it in gear with a load on it would stall. I replaced the fuel pump and it ran perfect.

Russell
Russt1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 10:28   #3

Re: Crusader engine stalls when put in gear

Does it stall when going into reverse? Do you have a "shift interupter"? Many threads about this at BoatUS.
What carb? Do you "prime" your engine before starting (if it has an accelerator pump)? Check that the choke is free/closed.
If the stalling is caused by fuel starvation, feed the carb fuel from an elevated fuel source. This removes the boats fuel delivery system but not the float valve. Check the carb's inlet filter (screen).
What solinoid did you disconnect?
Carbs fail from being dirty and defective float/valve, and can be rebuilt.
garyohv is offline   Reply With Quote