Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 01:59   #1

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER
Cost to rebuild volvo D2-55

Need to have a volvo D2-55 diesel rebuilt on a boat in Olympic Marine Greece. Any ideas on costs and who to do the job.

Cheers
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 06:45   #2

Re: Cost to rebuild volvo D2-55

Sorry again, it is a Volvo D2-55hp. The Admiral advised that it was wrong and that it was actually a DH-55hp, for the first time in years she has admitted she was wrong.
revenge is so sweet.

Cheers
Old 18-06-2017, 07:34   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We had a pair of d2-55 refurbished fully in Sweden around 2012. The job came at 2k per engine. Included removal, replacement of all worn block/cylinder parts, tuning, refitting.

None of the big parts were touched (the injectors were adjusted and cleaned but none replaced. The hp pump got checked and refit. One valve was replaced, another was ground, one piston and all rings too.

I cannot say how Sweden translates to Greece but I assume Greece will be more pricey.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We had a pair of d2-55 refurbished fully in Sweden around 2012. The job came at 2k per engine. Included removal, replacement of all worn block/cylinder parts, tuning, refitting.

None of the big parts were touched (the injectors were adjusted and cleaned but none replaced. The hp pump got checked and refit. One valve was replaced, another was ground, one piston and all rings too.

I cannot say how Sweden translates to Greece but I assume Greece will be more pricey.

Cheers,
b.

Are you talking US dollars
Old 18-06-2017, 10:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye46 View Post
Are you talking US dollars
Universal freedom units. Right now usd (1.1) is nearly as much not worth as eur. The pound is not too far at 1.15 to American dollar, I think.

We paid SEK as Sweden does not use EUR. Then the rate was 9.0 now it is 11.

I expressed the figure in EUR as we are EU based. Greece is EUR based too. Their main problem actually.

Cheers,
b.
Old 18-06-2017, 12:48   #6

Quote:
Need to have a volvo D2-55 diesel rebuilt on a boat in Olympic Marine Greece. Any ideas on costs and who to do the job.

Cheers

Sorry that's a Volvo DH-55 diesel
Cheers
Old 18-06-2017, 12:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Universal freedom units. Right now usd (1.1) is nearly as much not worth as eur. The pound is not too far at 1.15 to American dollar, I think.

We paid SEK as Sweden does not use EUR. Then the rate was 9.0 now it is 11.

I expressed the figure in EUR as we are EU based. Greece is EUR based too. Their main problem actually.

Cheers,
b.

Thanks for that, I am Australian living in Australia and my boat is in Greece. I recently have had a Greek engineer AKA mechanic advise that one of the two engines in my boat has low compression on cylinder 4. To him this somehow means the motor requires a full rebuild.
Cheers
Old 19-06-2017, 06:47   #8

Quote:
Thanks for that, I am Australian living in Australia and my boat is in Greece. I recently have had a Greek engineer AKA mechanic advise that one of the two engines in my boat has low compression on cylinder 4. To him this somehow means the motor requires a full rebuild.
Cheers
There are those simple tools that you place into the injector socket and you can see what compression there is. This is a simple test that will last maybe 2 hours for all the cylinders. It is done dry and then wet (oil added into the cylinders).

Next, I believe, a good mechanic will find if the pressure loss is due to rings/sleeve wear or damage, valves leaking or not adjusted or any other reason (gasket?). At this point the issue is tackled. In many cases, in situ, without removing the engine.

Compression loss at one cylinder only = rebuilding some components in this area only, not all engine.

Consider finding a good mechanic that speaks your native language and flying him to the boat. Ryanair tickets start from 20 USD single within Europe. Many diesel mechanics from colder climates may actually enjoy a short 'working vacations' in Greece.

Well, my point of view. We live in Canary Islands and I would trust none of local mechanics. Maybe Greece is more mechanically competent (which I doubt is the case). Not that there are no good mechanics here or there, just hard to tell them apart from the incompetent crowd. At least for a visitor.

Good luck fixing up the thing!

Cheers,
b.
Old 19-06-2017, 21:54   #9

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

DH-55? Sure it is not a D2-55?
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 22:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
DH-55? Sure it is not a D2-55?

You are correct it is a D2-55
Old 19-06-2017, 23:44   #11

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Thousands of these around the Med. Someone must have had a recent overhaul. They do wear out?
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 22:24   #12

I have had some dealings with Joe Rowles an English speaking surveyor in Turkey, he should know of a good honest mechanic. Although that does sound like a paradox, it's like being happily married, you cannot be both.
Cheers

Tags
rebuild, volvo