Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-06-2010, 07:20   #16

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Wow, I really enjoyed your "Trolling for Sharks" video. I see you have some fresh bait coming up as well.
There was a shark that ate a guy here about 6 months back... but it appears the guy had already drowned and likely got ripped up on a reef first....

Not much wind last weekend so we were motoring on half a motor at just 2.5 knots.. (I hate motoring..defeats the idea of a sail boat) but when we get sailing 5-12 knots the kids body board of the back.

PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 07:27   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

So my question to others who suggest they need their engines rebuilt is why do they think they need a 'rebuild'? And what is a 'rebuild' anyway?

Other words I've heard are "Zero hour the engine". Whats that? Before selling changing the hour meter?

Mark - Good question and I am sure in the boating world subject to debate but you have to have a benchmark. In the aviation world the generally accepted terms are.

Overhaul - The manufacturer's manual has "Overhaul limits" for everything from bearing journals to camshafts to pistons and cylinders which are larger than the factory new tolerances. Restoring the clearances to these limits is an overhaul

Rebuild - The manufacturers manuals also contain new limits for everything. Restoring everything to the factory new limits by a 3rd party shop is a Rebuild.

Zero Time or Factory New - If the manufacturer or manufacturer certified shop restores the engine to Factory New limits it can be considered zero time.

It always pays to define what you are talking about when you talk to the shop. I would view an overhaul and rebuild on my boat engine as two dramatically different things.

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 07:31   #18

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Overhaul better defines what we are doing to my engine... Aside from these parts which normally have worn down by this age, the engine is in very good shape. Both engines are originals, and have exactly the same need of work.

PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote

engine, overhaul

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: