Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2015, 19:05   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43
Re: Copper pipe for raw water?

Hi Djarraluda, what do the serrated tails look like? I've just done some googling and can't see any. You see copper pipe with a ridge pressed into it, how about that? Or flaring the end or soldering an olive on the end? (like I know what I'm taking about haha)

Old 09-06-2015, 19:44   #17

Warby12, I've just noticed you are on East Coast Australia. You could contact General Marine Services NZ. They are near Westhaven Marina Auckland New Zealand. (I have no connection except being a happy customer) They are very helpful and knowledgable and have all the fittings imaginable. They supply casual and trade. You'll find them on Google. You may have a more convenient local supplier though. By the way I have just spent a very pleasant warm sunny 11 days on Aus. East Coast at Miami Beach away from our cool wet NZ winter. That's Aus. not USA!

Old 09-06-2015, 20:42   #18

Boat: Farr 1020

By serrated, I was just referring to the typical ridged arrangements seen on what the trade would call "hose tails". I like the idea of soldering the olive onto plain pipe, that would work well.
When considering the pipe sizes, remember that some pipes are quoted "ID" (internal diameter) and some "OD"(outside diameter). Some of our colonial cousins may refer to "NB" (nominal bore), but a typical Australian plumbing supplies place would probably understand the issues anyway. Be aware of this issue because it can come as a shock to find the internal bore considerably less than expected. Copper is typically quoted as OD, so because the 28mm size is the same for 3 different wall thicknesses, the ID changes.

Roger
Old 09-06-2015, 20:58   #19

Hi Graham , thanks for the tip!
Hi Roger, how about a double flare in the end. then I wouldn't have to worry about soldering and dissimilar metals?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake_lines2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	103507  
Old 09-06-2015, 21:13   #20

Boat: Farr 1020

My only concern with the flare is the possibility of sharp edges that could cut the hose. Other than that, sounds like a good idea.
Roger
Old 09-06-2015, 21:38   #21

Cheers!!

Thanks all
Old 09-06-2015, 23:39   #22

Hmmm 22 and 28mm copper pipe = $400 (6 metre length minimum) so I learned that today and I also found something you can't buy on ebay.

Might be cheaper to have something made after all!
I actually need it for the fresh and raw circuits. Maybe I should do the fresh in steel and rig something with bronze tails for the raw side...
Old 04-08-2015, 18:23   #23

Hi there, just to finish this off, ended up using copper pipe and rubber elbows. Finding the odd sizes was a hassle out here and although I could have probably worked it out here in Oz, I ended up asking Lancing Marine in the UK, very helpful Welcome to Lancing Marine. They have lots of marinisng kits
Old 04-08-2015, 19:07   #24

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
HI, I've done a fair bit of searching on this but I can't find anything definitive Is it ok to use copper pipe on the raw water circuit of my engine cooling?

I have a Perkins 4108 which I'm switching from the old heat exchanger system to the newer Bowman h/x setup and so I'm having to devise my own piping

What's best practice? Copper is easy to bend
Copper is a natural biocide so commonly used for potable water.

It does suffer from brittle fracture so not an ideal option for engine cooling.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-08-2015, 19:11   #25

Boat: Liberty 458

Lots of bad advice in this thread.

Brass in raw water cooling will suffer dezincification.

Copper suffers from brittle fracture and erosion pitting at certain flow rates so not suitable for engine cooling. It's a natural biocide so well suited for potable water. That's why you see it used in household plumbing.

Cupro Nickel is the right copper based material to use with sea water. Don't confuse the two.

Why not use bronze fittings, good quality well supported hose and all stainless hose clamps. Simple, reliable and available from any chandlery.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-08-2015, 23:41   #26

Nothing wrong with correct marine quality flexible hosing and modern high quality plastic fittings. They are designed for the job, to fit together and be trouble free. Copper will probably be different sizing. Copper is more likely to eventually fatigue and think of all that polishing you will need to do. Maybe on a vintage showboat it would be in keeping with times gone by.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:00   #27
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Our heat exchanger on the main engine (common marine engine Cummins 5.9l) is copper and a few elbows associated with it are copper with a (very shallow) flare like the one in the middle pic of post #19. We have used a bit of bronze pipe and fittings in a few other places associated with this raw water cooling circuit but since there were a couple aged hoses on the coolant side we needed to replace and the Cummins rep in the port wasn't too helpful, we just went to the local autoparts place and started sorting through, with a helpful clerk, the radiator hoses until we found some with the size and bend needed for our situation. We cut off the excess bits of hose we didn't need and actually have been pretty pleased with the use of these car part radiator hoses.

The bronze or copper both benefit from a coat of nice paint before they are installed on the boat. You'll be able to see leaks if you paint them. We paint all engine parts before install (like the exterior bronze case of the raw water pump) as it helps us identify problems/leaks.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: