Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 22:43   #16

Re: Coolant System Flush

I just discovered the IR temp gun looking at another site last night. It sounds perfect for my needs. So where should I measure it - near the thermostat or maybe the exhaust hose? And what temps should I see? I'd love to be able to test my thermostat with it and assume when it opens I should see a rapid heat drop.

Anyway, its a 2GM20F. Does Home Depot sell a good IR gun?

And thanks for the great comments and thoughts. Eric
Eric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 06:41   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

To the best of my knowledge to measure the temperature of the exhaust gases as they enter the rubber exhaust hose point the IR meter at the top part of the hose within about 6 inches of the attachment point where the hose is clamped to the engine exhaust exhaust water injector. This is the most vulnerable area of the hose to being "cooked." Any reading near or over 200°F (the hose's stated max temp rating) is a problem that needs attention.

Finding out why the temp is so high is important as you may have a clogged or corroded injection nozzle which is bound to happen eventually as they are normally made of iron. Likewise as discussed earlier, a damaged or broken R.W. pump impeller, etc. can restrict water flow.

If everything is "normal" - that is, no restrictions or other problems, it is possible to switch out the portion of the exhaust hose closest to the engine and replace it with "blue silicone" type exhaust hose which has a max rating of 350°F. However, the cost of silicon hose is significantly more than the usual black rubber exhaust hose.

As to the engine cooling system thermostat - getting readings as the engine heats up to its normal operating temperature should reveal what is happening. Generally, but not always, the thermostat is located inside a globe shaped or elbow shaped casting above the engine's fresh water pump. Point the IR meter at the casting should reveal the temperature that the coolant flowing inside. You would expect a steady climb in the temperature and then a stabilization somewhere around 190°F for a diesel engine. That is going to depend upon whether the coolant passing through the thermostat housing is coming out of the engine block galleries or somewhere else.

As to where to purchase a digital IR thermometer - I seriously doubt Home Depot would have them. It is more of an automotive or "shop" tool. So places like Harbor Freight or just an internet search would be the most productive. They are probably even available on Ebay.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:49   #18

Thank you for that very helpful and informative reply!
Eric22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant