Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 09:58   #1

Coolant leak from water pump Perkins M30/Volvo Penta MD2030

I have a small coolant leak coming from the water pump, not the water pump">raw water pump, on my Perkins M30 (same as Volvo MD2030). Looking at the schematic it looks like a gasket replacement might fix this and I am hoping to try this myself. Any thoughts from more experienced mechanics would be appreciated. Here is where the leak appears, right behind and under the belt that drives the pump.

Thanks,

Peter Yates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterPump3.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	99905  
yeterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55   #2

Re: Coolant leak from water pump Perkins M30/Volvo Penta MD2030

The gasket is item 5, if the leak is from there it might be worth just changing the gasket.

However, it is more likely that the leak is from the shaft, where it comes out, inside item 9. If it's leaking there, the bearings are probably shot as the leaking water washes out the grease.

In that eventuality, you'd be much better off buying a new water pump, and gasket. I'd have to be really short on cash to consider repairing and re-installing an old water pump. They are a wear item.

Either way, clean up the gasket faces carefully, and smear both sealing surfaces evenly with Permatex #2 form-a-gasket sealant. NOT #1. You want the non-setting stuff.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07   #3

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The gasket is item 5, if the leak is from there it might be worth just changing the gasket.

However, it is more likely that the leak is from the shaft, where it comes out, inside item 9. If it's leaking there, the bearings are probably shot as the leaking water washes out the grease.

In that eventuality, you'd be much better off buying a new water pump, and gasket. I'd have to be really short on cash to consider repairing and re-installing an old water pump. They are a wear item.

Either way, clean up the gasket faces carefully, and smear both sealing surfaces evenly with Permatex #2 form-a-gasket sealant. NOT #1. You want the non-setting stuff.

It's a classic sign of a failed water pump. The most likely spot for water to leak out is at the shaft seal which can look like a leak from a gasket. In any event, you will have to remove the pump. Indeed, repairing it is not likely a long term solution to the problem. Just replace it - it is considered a wear item. If you are out in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't even disturb the water pump. Maintain the coolant level - with water for the short term, if necessary. Once you get back to civilization you can replace the pump. The leaking is not an indication that the coolant isn't being pumped - it's just the shaft seal, as MarkSF says.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:19   #4

There are two gaskets in this pump arrangement, item 3 and item 5. There is the chance that one of these gaskets is leaking, but more likely it is the seal, as mentioned by MarkSF and Crazy old boat guy. On the Volvo Penta version of the engine, the 2030, there is a weep hole on the lower side of the pump casting, just behind the edge of the belt pulley. When the seal starts to fail you will see the trickle of coolant from that location, and that sounds like your leak.

The pump is not serviceable and will have to be replaced.
DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:48   #5

It's an apt word, "weep" hole.

I always thought, "if you put in the weep hole cause you knew it was gonna leak, why not build it so it won't?"

Again, not an emergency but I wouldn't go out on a long passage until I get it taken care of.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:52   #6

The weep hole is to allow water that's leaked past the seal to drip away, rather than be forced through the bearing, which would wash out the grease. So it does have a beneficial effect.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The weep hole is to allow water that's leaked past the seal to drip away, rather than be forced through the bearing, which would wash out the grease. So it does have a beneficial effect.
Right.

Consider it a VERY good warning sign.

Or would you rather have the pump just seize up and die unexpectedly?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:08   #8

My attempt at humor didn't get thru, I guess. No matter. The OP will get it taken care of with the clear info provided here. This is one of the simpler fixes out there. Plenty of gentle warning that there is a problem. Rather simple and easy part to get to. Hopefully the part doesn't cost too much (Volvo - oops).
Old 04-04-2015, 08:04   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

Cutting corners on a boat is a fools game. Replace it. Do it rigjt

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:49   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Your engine is a Shibaura 103-10-sold by Perkins(M30),VP 2030,& various tractor,etc mfgrs.
Rebuilt or new circulator pumps are readily available-shop around.

Engine Derivations
Old 10-04-2015, 08:59   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a new water pump, it's getting delivered today, and I took out all the bolts on the old one but I'm not sure how to get it off. I can't just pull it off, I've tried that. Do I knock in a putty knife at various points where it meets the engine and pry it off or is there a different strategy?

I appreciate all the help.

Peter
Old 10-04-2015, 17:46   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeterp View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a new water pump, it's getting delivered today, and I took out all the bolts on the old one but I'm not sure how to get it off. I can't just pull it off, I've tried that. Do I knock in a putty knife at various points where it meets the engine and pry it off or is there a different strategy?

I appreciate all the help.

Peter
Using a blade around the gasket area is a last resort.Too much chance of damaging the gasket surface on the block.
Are you absolutely sure you got all the bolts? Looks like there could be up to 9 going by the holes in pic of gasket.
Gasket Goo of some kind was used & sometimes it sticks too well.
Try tapping carefully on the pump itself.You are going to replace it,so better to damage it than the block.
Good luck./ Len
Old 10-04-2015, 18:42   #13

There are five bolts and one stud that hold the pump on. The nut on the stud is on the bottom of the pump (#8 in the drawing) and it's easily missed because it is behind the large water hose nipple.

If you have all of these fasteners loosened and the pump is still hanging on, a little light wedging between the pump body and the steel plate (#4) won't damage anything. Where you want to be is on gasket #5, in front of steel plate #4.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 20:20   #14

I definitely got all the bolts and the nut off. The head of the bolt that holds the alternator on broke off but that shouldn't stop the pump from coming off. Hopefully I'll be able to get that out when the pump is off. The pump has been in place for thirty years and it doesn't want to come off. Thanks for your suggestion. The bolt head that came off is in the middle of the photo.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolthead.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	100222  
Old 12-04-2015, 09:36   #15

It turns out there was one bolt going in from the back that I hadn't noticed, got that off and the the pump came off. The new pump would have cost $460 from The Volvo Penta dealer but was $220 from the Perkins dealer, same pump at less than half the price.

Peter

Tags
coolant, md2030, penta, perkins, volvo, water