Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 12:54   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Coolant Expansion Tank: Where to Buy ?

I am installing a hot water heater and the heater has to be located above the engine. I am going to replace the exisitng coolant cap with a non venting cap and plan to install a remote header tank above the water heater with a 7lb cap. I have tried some searching online but have not been able to source a tank. I would prefer a metal tank with 1/2" or 5/8" NPT openings.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 13:49   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
I am installing a hot water heater and the heater has to be located above the engine. I am going to replace the exisitng coolant cap with a non venting cap and plan to install a remote header tank above the water heater with a 7lb cap. I have tried some searching online but have not been able to source a tank. I would prefer a metal tank with 1/2" or 5/8" NPT openings.
* A very small air compressor tank (Grainger). Down to 2 gallon, but several hundred $$. Too big, anyway. I doubt you'll find any thing that small that isn't custom.

* Build something from pipe fittings.

* Go to an autoparts store and ask. Why re-invent? Hose barb is fine and plastic is fine. I don't understand why you want metal.
Old 12-01-2011, 13:54   #3

Had one on my last boat that was aluminum made for westerbeke. Figured it would be available someplace. I guess plastic would be fine as long as it could handle being pressurized. Usually these plastic tanks are stricly overflow and not for a pressurized system with a cap. I did find this one

Westerbeke 24177 Sailboat Engine Parts and Boat Parts-Torresen Marine

But for that price I have a metal fab guy who will build me a gorgeous anodized one.
Old 12-01-2011, 14:41   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Hey try a car wrecker or recycler many cars have the type of tank you are looking for. Volkswagen Golf has a small plastic tank which is pressurised. Should be cost effective way to do it. Cheers
Rob
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 15:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hey try a car wrecker or recycler many cars have the type of tank you are looking for. Volkswagen Golf has a small plastic tank which is pressurised. Should be cost effective way to do it. Cheers
Rob
those tanks have a high failure rate. I'd spend the money on an aluminum tank.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 16:59   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I was looking for one a while back, and found a number of aluminum tanks like this one.

Moroso Coolant Expansion Tank - Lightning Motorsports - Made with Bits of Real Lightning, so you know it's good ! AEM-ARP-Competition-Skunk2-Walbro-more
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 07:19   #7

Thanks that looks like it would work well. Im guessing they have standard female NPT fittings? Price seems fair enough too.

Ok looked a little closer and the tank has female NPT fittings however one is 3/8 the other 1/2. Im a little concerned that 3/8 would be restricting flow and could lead to engine over heating. This is on a perkins 4-154 and the coolant line is more like 5/8 ID IIRC and comes from the engine to the hotwater heater then to the expansion tank then to the heat exchanger. Need to look at this circuit again...
Old 13-01-2011, 08:24   #8

Okay here I go again answering my own posts... I went back to and old thread on installing the water heater on the 4-154.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...4-a-41840.html

I see that only a portion of the coolant flow passes through this circuit and not the entire cooling system. With that in mind I think I am more comfortable with the 3/8 restriction. Alhough I may just ask my metal fab buddy to replace the 3/8 port with a 1/2" port.
Old 13-01-2011, 10:15   #9

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Volkswagen, - fail?,

I dont think so.

Shame on you. The Bosch didnt lose the war cos of machine failure.

Ive got a header tank from the scrap yard. A billion cars cant be wrong.
Old 14-01-2011, 05:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Coolant header tanks are readily available for only $200 with the mounting brackets. I have attached 2 photos of the ones that we keep in stock and I know that these are available at many different suppliers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolant tank.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	22799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1015_7_1.JPG
Views:	1535
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	22800  

NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 08:42   #11

Thanks I ended up ordering an aluminum one. Now I need to find a replacement cap for the heat exchanger since the header tank will be where I want the cooling system to vent from. Trouble is the cap is for a 2" filler neck and most radiator caps are for 1 1/2" filler necks. Im waiting to hear back from a dealer for the heat exchanger (Bowman) to see I can either get a non venting cap or one with a high pressure rating so I can use one with a low pressure rating on the header tank.
Old 14-01-2011, 09:05   #12
Marine Service Provider

Take your old pressure cap to a Napa store. They should have no problem providing the correct size. The large caps were common on the older Lehman marinisations and are common here as truck pressure caps.
Stanley
Old 14-01-2011, 09:45   #13

Tried that this morning. Thinking I need to try a radiator shop maybe? Maybe I can search online for truck radiator caps for 2" filler necks? Tried searching yesterday online to no avail.
Old 14-01-2011, 10:51   #14
Marine Service Provider

I believe the correct Napa number is 703-1418 for the 7lb version and 703-1422 for the 10 lb version. Your cost should be about $10 or a bit less. If you have trouble getting one, I can get from our local Napa store here.
Old 14-01-2011, 11:04   #15

And this is for a cap that will fit a 2" filler neck? Not a standard car size cap for a 1 1/2" Diameter neck?