Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2008, 19:07   #1

converting MD 17C to freshwater cooling

ok, so i've got an MD 17C that was just installed, fresh off the crate, two years ago. there is no hour meter yet but the oil isn't even black yet. i would like to convert it to freshwater cooling but i am finding VERY little info on the web. anybody have experience, tips, ideas, resources, wisdom or advice they'd like to pass along?
i know these things are closely related to dinosaurs but this one is as new as a motor this old can possibly be and i'd like to keep it in the best shape possible. i'm sure some will say "don't bother" but just humor me.
-del
delmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 19:24   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Check Sen-Dure (Sen-Dure - manufacturer of heat exchangers and oil coolers). They have a fresh water cooler for your engine in their catalog.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 04:55   #3

I have a factory converted unit. I think you can buy the kit from a Volvo dealer such as MacDonnel Marine, or French Creek if memory serves correctly. The heat exchanger mounts on the top above the fresh water pump. It's nothing more complicated than fiddling with those copper pipes, and hoses. Make sure to get spare rubber gaskets for the pipes. You'll need them and a leak is a bummer.

If don't have a hot water heater you can use one in the engine cooling circuit to make hot water too.

Here's a PDF of the system:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine Cooling_v12.pdf (84.3 KB, 352 views)
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 06:50   #4

Boat: S2, 11M, 36 ft, Dolphin Leap
I just received a rebuild MD17C from French Creek Marina and have my old engine available to part out or for someone to buy and rebuild (Main bearing was starting to click and I am taking the boat to the Bahamas in a couple of weeks, so ....). I have the hot water tank kit installed, but not the fresh water kit. If you cannot find a kit, I would definitely contact French Creek Marina. Good Luck!

If anyone has gone offshore at Morehead City to the Bahamas, I would like to hear from you.
kk703hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 06:51   #5

ziggy-
thanks for that. i'll check it out.

defjef-
thanks a LOT for the diagram. one of the biggest things keeping me from getting started so far has been trying to envision how all the pieces would fit together. i forgot to mention that i can't use the factory kit because of space limitations. i MIGHT be able to arrange the pump in front but there is no way i can put the heat exchanger on top of the manifold.

so, is it better to run a water heater in the fresh water circuit or the raw water side? or, does it matter and why? i recall a neighbor had overheating problems on a much more modern volvo engine because there was air trapped in the water heater that prevented cirulation but i don't recall which circuit it was in.
Old 15-12-2008, 15:28   #6

The fresh water kit does not extend above the valve covers, not further to port than the starter motor. I have lots of photos of my engine. Send me your email addy and I can send you the pics so you can see how it fits on. The pump is inline with the flywheel pulley so it doesn't extend in front either.

The diagram I attached below is schematic and does not represent the scale or in some cases the placement of the components.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 16:36   #7

defjef-
i don't know how to edit my original post but i should have mentioned that i am almost certain the volvo configuration won't work in my application without remodeling some cabinetry i would really like to avoid. i can, however, mount a heat exchanger remotely quite easily. your diagram really helps me with figuring out the location of hoses and parts. thanks for sharing that with me.
-del

Tags
cooling