Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 17:36   #1

Boat: 1970 Morgan M38
Considering Repowering from 3QM30f: 3GM vs 3YM

Hey Cruisers,

I'd get into the process of whats happened with the 3QM, but I was hoping to focus more on learning from your experience with these Yanmars (the 3QM, 3GM, and 3YM) instead of again troubleshooting the problems with my old motor. I love that QM but, but I also think its just time to move on and I need to do my homework.

What are the main differences between each series of motors? Is there a "WikiYanmar" online somewhere? I'm already downloading the manuals, but I'm looking for experience and direct comparisons.

Thanks, and happy cruising!
Old 03-02-2015, 20:39   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Considering Repowering from 3QM30f: 3GM vs 3YM

As far as I know, 3GM and 3YM are basically the same motor. 3GM is the original version, no longer sold new. The new 3YM is 3GM modified to meet strict emission standards, with bigger intake and exhaust ports.

These are good engines.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousH View Post
Hey Cruisers,

I'd get into the process of whats happened with the 3QM, but I was hoping to focus more on learning from your experience with these Yanmars (the 3QM, 3GM, and 3YM) instead of again troubleshooting the problems with my old motor. I love that QM but, but I also think its just time to move on and I need to do my homework.

What are the main differences between each series of motors? Is there a "WikiYanmar" online somewhere? I'm already downloading the manuals, but I'm looking for experience and direct comparisons.

Thanks, and happy cruising!
The 3GM30 was replaced by the 3YM and these are completely different engines. Neither one will do what the 3QM did as they don't have the torque of the 3QM. To get a similar amount of torque as the 3QM30 with a modern engine I suggest that you look at 40HP.

Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:11   #4

Boat: Nassau 34

If your removing and getting rid of your 3qm, I could use a couple parts as spares.

they are great running engines, mine has 8000 hours and still starts right up and runs great.
thanks
Old 05-02-2015, 08:11   #5

Boat: Carter Concubine 33ft (10m)

I'm interested in this topic as I also couldn't find a timeline or history of small Yanmar marine diesels. I was trying to look at prices for re-powering from my 3GM as a benchmark against repair costs. Although it has caused me a lot of problems this winter I am still going to stick with my 3GM for the meantime. Its a simple engine, a joy to work on, advice is plentiful and parts are not the cheapest but relatively easy to come by. I'm sure the YM series is much the same.
dtlx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 19:46   #6

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

As a new owner of a 3qm I would be curious to know more about what happened to yours? Thanks...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3qm, 3ym30, diesel, repower, yanmar