Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2019, 07:51   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Confused by lack of air filter on Yanmar 4JH5X1

According to the manual I’m meant to remove and clean the filter element in the intake silencer every 250 hours. I was a bit overdue but I finally took it off and find no filter element at all. It’s really just a big empty air trap (with some oily residue that I cleaned). Am I missing the filter element or is it possible someone meant for it to run without one? Seems to be similar confusion among others online. Anyone know what element I need and where it fits in the silencer? Thanks, Jack Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5049.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	196621
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 00:52   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Confused by lack of air filter on Yanmar 4JH5X1

I had a Yanmar years ago which had foam in the intake filter. Went to remove it one day to give it a clean and found that the engine had eaten it. Did not seem to harm anything.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 16:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
According to the manual I’m meant to remove and clean the filter element in the intake silencer every 250 hours. I was a bit overdue but I finally took it off and find no filter element at all. It’s really just a big empty air trap (with some oily residue that I cleaned). Am I missing the filter element or is it possible someone meant for it to run without one? Seems to be similar confusion among others online. Anyone know what element I need and where it fits in the silencer? Thanks, Jack Attachment 196621
first off I have to say I don't know that particular model engine but in our Yanmar ( YSM8 ) it's just a silencer & doesn't clean the air.
I replaced ours with a generic oiled foam air filter because I prefer to filter the air going in an engine even on a boat. The belt dust, fish scales & carpet fibres I've seen on the outside of the filter tells me it's not a total waste of time. Not to mention stopping the possiblity of getting a rag sucked down there.
I was a little surprised how small the hose is for that size engine.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 08:33   #4

Still can’t get a clear answer on this. It seems like many people install and run the engine without a filter but yanmar themselves recommend it. It would be easy to put a generic filter over the intake hose, but since Yanmar makes a filter element I might as well use that, right? But for the life of me I can’t figure out how this cone shaped foam filter element (pictured below) will fit into the plastic silencer (pictured earlier). Anybody do this? Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5394.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	198372
Old 21-08-2019, 08:47   #5

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Our old Yanmar SB 12 had no air filter at all, just an air intake pipe open to the engine compartment. 1977 vintage.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 12:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Confused by lack of air filter on Yanmar 4JH5X1

Most boat engines don’t run filters, some have a FOD screen, but not a filter.
Gasoline engines will have a flame arrestor that sort of looks like a filter but the theory is of course boats don’t drive down dirt roads etc.
However I want a filter as there is dust on boats and in particular there is belt dust usually in an engine room, so I just put on a k&N filter and drilled a hole in the rubber end of the cone and put in delrin fitting in and connected the blow by hose to that.

Very often when there are “boxes” like you have on the intake it’s to cut down on intake “honk”, often called resonator boxes, there can be a surprising amount of noise coming from the intake, so try running yours without the box and listen to see if there is an objectionable noise before you go the K&N route.

It’s entirety likely that yours did indeed have a foam insert, that deteriorated and the engine “ate” it. This isn’t uncommon and I’ve never heard of it damaging an engine, but I won’t let mine eat foam as a matter of course.
Of maybe the PO just threw it out or it fell apart when he tried to clean it in gasoline etc?
Maybe call Mack Boring or similar with the engine model number and serial number and they may can advise as if there is a foam filter that goes in the box.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 15:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Still can’t get a clear answer on this. It seems like many people install and run the engine without a filter but yanmar themselves recommend it. It would be easy to put a generic filter over the intake hose, but since Yanmar makes a filter element I might as well use that, right? But for the life of me I can’t figure out how this cone shaped foam filter element (pictured below) will fit into the plastic silencer (pictured earlier). Anybody do this? Thanks Attachment 198372
I'd take A64's advice. I suspect it's just a silencer. I noticed no difference between the oiled foam filter noise level & the Yanmar silencer but ours is a noisy single.
Perhaps the have given you a yanmar filter thats not meant to fit in your silencer?
There won't be anything different about a yanmar filter ( they dont make them) except the price. I'd go K&N but your call.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 11:19   #8

Hoping to revive an old thread here but I'm looking for a suitable air filter as per this discussion. I called K&N to find one that would fit my 1.5" air intake hose and they said that it has to be a flame arrestor rather than an air filter as per USCG guidelines, and they don't make one that small. Does anyone know where I might find a suitable product?

There is a lot of dust and the occasional dog hair floating around my engine compartment and putting a filter on seems like wise preventative medicine. Thanks.
Old 26-05-2020, 11:23   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Hoping to revive an old thread here but I'm looking for a suitable air filter as per this discussion. I called K&N to find one that would fit my 1.5" air intake hose and they said that it has to be a flame arrestor rather than an air filter as per USCG guidelines, and they don't make one that small. Does anyone know where I might find a suitable product?

There is a lot of dust and the occasional dog hair floating around my engine compartment and putting a filter on seems like wise preventative medicine. Thanks.
I really don't think you need to be too fussy, they are pretty simple devices, just google your specifications and choose one of a reasonably large size that will fit.
Old 26-05-2020, 11:34   #10

That was my thinking but after a bit of googling I read a number of stories of Coast Guard citations for unapproved air filters, and presumably voided insurance in the event of a fire. I'm sure it's more of an issue with speed boats and I can't see how the large open hole is arresting any flames right now, but it would be nice to keep things legal.
Old 26-05-2020, 11:38   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
That was my thinking but after a bit of googling I read a number of stories of Coast Guard citations for unapproved air filters, and presumably voided insurance in the event of a fire. I'm sure it's more of an issue with speed boats and I can't see how the large open hole is arresting any flames right now, but it would be nice to keep things legal.
Yea, though I guess if people are selling USCG approved filters they will probably advertise it as such.
Old 26-05-2020, 11:41   #12

Boat: Lancer 36

If you go with the flat foam option make sure it has a wire mesh to keep the foam from getting sucked into the engine; also replace it before the foam breaks down or it will get ingested. If you are handy you can probably make something functional for next to nothing.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 12:31   #13

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

I went this style on a 21hp genset

https://www.ebay.com.au/b/Unbranded-...?rt=nc&_sop=15
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 12:51   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:

Thankfully not being subject to USCG regulations I just fitted a K&N, £30 job done.

I kind of get the need for a flame arrestor on a large petrol V8, but a small diesel

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K&N.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	215856  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 12:51   #15

Filters etc are needed when road driving through dust, bugs etc. Many boats dont have any element. But they do have baffled silencers, it's very surprising how much valve noise comes through an open intake on diesels.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar