Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2010, 11:21   #1

Cold Engine Starting Problems

i have a 2002 c&C with a 29hp md2030 volvo engine. I'm having problems getting it started when its cold. once started no problem. it ussually takes 5 min of cranking ( letting it rest periodically) to finnally get it going. white smoke is in the exhaust and it fires periodically.
any suggestions where to start. its almost like its flooded right off the get go. i'm afraid I'm gonna kill my battery one day when out on an excursion and have to be towed in!
any suggestions would be great

Old 24-07-2010, 12:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The MD2030 uses Glow Plugs for cold starting. Iíve heard that they are problematic (but then, it's a Volvo ).

See page 68 (pdf pg.64) & onwards, especially page 78 (pdf 72) of the Manual
http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/Vo...0-20-30-40.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 13:03   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I'd second the glow plugs. Check them first.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 14:05   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
No offense intended, and I am not overly familiar with Vovlo diesels, but how much time are you allowing the glowplugs to heat up the air in the chambers before you crank the engine over?
Old 24-07-2010, 14:46   #5

cold engine start

I've been holding the key over for about 1 minute. if that is adequate, are the glow plugs hard to replace. I'm moderately mechanically inclined
Old 24-07-2010, 15:14   #6

thanks that seems to be the general concensus alright!
Old 24-07-2010, 15:15   #7

thanks so much for the link! i printed it off and its going on the boat.
Old 24-07-2010, 16:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The MD2030 uses Glow Plugs for cold starting. Iíve heard that they are problematic (but then, it's a Volvo ).

Get someone to help you. Put a volt meter on the wire feeding the glow plugs, while they "engage" the glow plugs. See if you have good voltage first. If not, the relay is suspect. If so, the plugs them selves are suspect. If you have a DC amp meter capable of >20 amp measurement. You can read the amp draw of the plugs. They should draw about 30A, then taper down the longer they are on.
Old 24-07-2010, 18:03   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit
I have an MD2040...I concur with checking the glow plugs, as that was the cause of my cold starting problems. As Never Monday says, put a meter on the rail supplying power to the glow plugs. My problem was the relay that gives them power. Indication on the panel was that they were on, but no voltage to the plugs. You can also measure the resistance of the plugs to see that they are still good.

Good luck.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 20:13   #10

How cold are you talking? Maybe its because I'm in Florida, but pulling out my glow relay makes no noticeable difference the crank time of my MD2030C. That said, I have had a bad relay. I've also pulled my plugs and found all three of them bad. My control panel key switches are very finicky and if I'm not careful the keys return to the glow position after cranking. I assume this burned out my plugs.

The plugs are not easy to get out, at least not for me. If I remember correctly, the fuel injection pump has to come off.

Even if the plugs are bad, I suspect a compression problem. You should probably have the injectors rebuilt, too.

BTW, I'm surprised you can crank that long without flooding your engine.
Old 24-07-2010, 21:50   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Muck round, rebuild or replace...

I spent a while and more than a few boat buck$ trying to get my old Ford to go. All the above and new battery and cables. In the end it needed a good spray of Aerostart to go. Found the pushrods were bent when they took it apart.

In the end it turned out that a new engine was easier than trying to fix the old one, and not a lot more expensive.

Unless your engine is newish, does not have many hours and has good spare parts availability I'd be considering a repower.
Old 25-07-2010, 18:16   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
No Ether for a glow plug engine.......Never,,,,Nope----Unh-Uh
Old 25-07-2010, 18:20   #13

Boat: Boro
"No Ether for a glow plug engine.......Never,,,,Nope----Unh-Uh"

Why not. Works a treat.
Old 25-07-2010, 19:50   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Turn on your electric stove....now, would you spray ether on the glowing calrods?

Warning, do not even attempt to try this experiment....leave it to boatmythbusters[

It can also bend pushrods and connecting rods.
Old 25-07-2010, 20:59   #15

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Ether has a much lower flash point than diesel fuel, and if you have cycled your glow plugs, the ether can cause preignition, firing the cylinders at the wrong time--ie before the compression cycle is complete, or even during the intake cycle, in which case it can backfire through the intake line to the air filter and cause damage there if their is lingering ether present. You can use ether safely, but only if you have manually activated glow plugs, and the ether is sprayed into the intake hose from your air cleaner while someone is cranking the engine over (and obviously hasn't activated the glow plugs). You are actually better off using an air heater of some sort that will blow hot air directly into the air cleaner in very cold weather.

Tags
engine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: