Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 17:29   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Cleaning Out Diesel Tank

I have two 18 gallon tempo tanks. I have had clogged filters twice due to rough weather. I want to get in and clean out my forward tank. Removing the tank from the boat is probably more difficult than cleaning it in place. Do you have any advice? I can either go through the inspection plate or go through the fill hole. I plan to use a mirror to see in there and somehow flush them out with diesel fuel. Do you know of any other tools, pumps or brushes that would help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4264250650.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	46190

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-803485768.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	46191

Thanks again,
austin
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 17:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Cleaning Out Diesel Tank

Doesn't look like it will be an easy job but definitely go in through the inspection ports. Some members have found that a piece of plastic like an old credit card works well and paper towels and simple green.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 17:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
Doesn't look like it will be an easy job but definitely go in through the inspection ports. Some members have found that a piece of plastic like an old credit card works well and paper towels and simple green.
That sounds like a good way to start, thanks. Do I need to worry about simple green in the tank? I was thinking I would just use diesel fuel to wash/clean/flush.

And yes, I'm not expecting it to be easy with all the plumbing in that tight space.
Old 08-09-2012, 19:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Make sure you get it all wiped out with paper towels.
Old 08-09-2012, 19:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
Make sure you get it all wiped out with paper towels.
That's what I'm worried about, since accessibility is going to be tough. I'll see what it feels/looks like when I open it up. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:05   #6

Boat: Soverel, sloop, 37ft

Suck all the bottom muck out with a hand pump first. I got over 1/2 gallon of mud in my 30 gallon tank after it had been sitting dockside for a few years. You're lucky to have such a large inspection port. I'd go with paper towels if you can get your hand inside the tank. Mirrors, absolutely.
terrylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:19   #7

Hi Austin, looking at youre story, you have a bacterial problem in your diesel fuel tank. Slime which blocks the filtesr is easy to kill and prevent with a biocide called Acticide CMG. I have had same experience and since the use, never popped up again.
We here in EU have special biodiesel, which causes the bacterial problem with any tiny condenswater formation. the saling boats are not used daily and bacteria have enough time to explode in number( exponential growth)
You do not need to clean whole tank.
Just tryu to suck out most bottom slimy material , add then the Acticide biocide and refill tank. In this way you save a lot of work and youre sure all bugs are killed
Goodluck with youre buggs killing

Seafrank
Seafrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:21   #8

Using a biocide will give an easy way to sterilise the whole tank without any additional work. the biocide does the work
Seafrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59   #9

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafrank View Post
Using a biocide will give an easy way to sterilise the whole tank without any additional work. the biocide does the work
Biocides are great preventative medicine, but will not do much to clean up existing deposits. Unlikely you will get as much gunk as Terrylad, but expect a good amount of near solid gunk from the very bottom of tanks. You are lucky if you have access ports and small tanks, should be fairly easy to clean. Rags and elbow grease all you should need.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:03   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The biocide just kills the organisms which then fall to the bottom of the tank waiting to get stirred up again in rough water to plug your filters. If you start off with a clean tank and clean fuel then a biocide will keep your tank reasonably clean until next inspection/cleaning in a couple of years.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:04   #11

Ok, so the plan is to clean out the tank(s) the best I can with simple green, then use biocide to get rid of anything I might have missed. Thank you all for the input.

austin
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18   #12

Just me but I'd scratch the simple green. Paper towel it; the crud comes off easy enough with a swipe and some elbow grease.

It's a messy job so make sure you have a LOT of ventilation. Big fan blowing air towards you if you can. I wore organic respirators (3m) and had good luck.

Takes maybe half a day, then maybe the other half to get the inspection ports back on. You'll feel great when it's done.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
Just me but I'd scratch the simple green. Paper towel it; the crud comes off easy enough with a swipe and some elbow grease.

It's a messy job so make sure you have a LOT of ventilation. Big fan blowing air towards you if you can. I wore organic respirators (3m) and had good luck.

Takes maybe half a day, then maybe the other half to get the inspection ports back on. You'll feel great when it's done.
Sounds like a good idea to me, thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
That's what I'm worried about, since accessibility is going to be tough. I'll see what it feels/looks like when I open it up. Thanks again.
You'll want a length of 1 x 1 lumber with a small circle of plywood screwed into the end. Over this, you want to lash a couple of sponges. ON the 1 x 1, you want to tape off a pocket LED light.

The rest you can figure out! Remember to wear a good facemask and to run a floor fan and keep hatches open....the fumes from this job can give you headaches.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy

You'll want a length of 1 x 1 lumber with a small circle of plywood screwed into the end. Over this, you want to lash a couple of sponges. ON the 1 x 1, you want to tape off a pocket LED light.

The rest you can figure out! Remember to wear a good facemask and to run a floor fan and keep hatches open....the fumes from this job can give you headaches.
I'm having a hard time picturing the result of the 1x1 device but what it sounds like is a mini sponge/brush with a light to see where I'm scrubbing. Yeah? Don't they make little scrubbers like that? (minus the light of course) thanks for the thoughts, I think I have a light that will work.