Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 16:43   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Chinese outboards...

OK, at the extreme risk of starting a political thread...

Anyone have ANY experience with the "Make in China" knockoffs of the Yamaha 4-strokes? Parsun, Neptune, Sail, etc.

With that being said, I think I've pretty much decided on a Japanese model, but still, want to know if anyone has any comments ABOUT THE ENGINES.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:07   #2
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
OK, at the extreme risk of starting a political thread...

Anyone have ANY experience with the "Make in China" knockoffs of the Yamaha 4-strokes? Parsun, Neptune, Sail, etc.

With that being said, I think I've pretty much decided on a Japanese model, but still, want to know if anyone has any comments ABOUT THE ENGINES.
My 2005 *genuine* Yamaha engine is built like crap. I can't imagine the knockoff of these already crappy outboard would be good.

BTW: In 2005 anyway, the Yamaha was made in France.

I keep finding myself wishing I had older things. The newer things I have (outboard, Yanmar engines) aren't built as well. It's the little things surrounding them where they fail, not the engine itself. It's the hardware holding things together. My guess is the Chinese ones would be the same, or worse... could be like my Chinese Yanmar genset. I "saved" $2000 over the Yanmar model buying it. Worked for I think 100 hours before it threw a rod... and with no service, it was just garbage.

Sorry... wish I had more to contribute than these experiences. I haven't bought a Chinese outboard.

I doubt I ever will - and that has nothing to do with politics. I just can't afford to buy that kind of stuff
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 17:10   #3

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
I had a small 5hp Parsun outboard. I even visited their factory, which is not very far from where I live. The Parsun is acceptable when it comes to quality. Still I wouldn't buy one again, and rather pay a bit more and buy a real Yamaha.
Old 07-05-2008, 17:20   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
2002 genuine 15 hp Yamaha, made in Japan. Runs like a top, change the plugs every other year. Can't believe they made Yamahas in France, maybe you got one for the Canadian market with a bi-lingual instruction book, Sully.
Old 07-05-2008, 17:25   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
2002 genuine 15 hp Yamaha, made in Japan. Runs like a top, change the plugs every other year. Can't believe they made Yamahas in France, maybe you got one for the Canadian market with a bi-lingual instruction book, Sully.
He he he... I wish. They should probably stick to cheese, wine and ESA spacecraft, all of which they do well.

Mine says, "Made in France" right on it. Odd, isn't it?

Mine also runs like a top, but boy does every little thing fall off. They forgot to use lockwashers or at least nylocks on much of it. The throttle cable falls off, the thing that allows you to pull the starting rope when in neutral comes loose, the gas line falls off from time to time and it's very hard to fix that gas line issue.

All in all, junk. Wish I had a nice Johnson.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 18:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Another question to ask is how easy would be to get parts for Chinese engines. There is also the question of reliability. I would rather see an established track record before purchasing one.

At work we have Yamaha's, Suzuki's and a Johnson. They all seem to work fine. We send them in once a year for professional maintenance, so that might make a difference.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 18:35   #7
jzk

We have a new Yamaha 15hp 2cycle and couldn't be happier.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 18:43   #8
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
This would be it..?
Looks like a Honda. Outboard Motor Sereis (2.5HP-40HP) Manufacturer exporting direct from China

At any rate, most of the stuff we buy are made in China anyway:
I bought a rubber dink last year, Mercury and all. (Same brand as the Mercury outboards)

The small print says Made In China..But with a 10 year warranty I am not too concerned...

Old 07-05-2008, 18:50   #9

6.5 knots on a 3 HP motor with a fat guy and his beer onboard is pretty good performance...Dink is highly recommended even if made in China.
That being said..I just spotted rust on the oar-lock metal pieces. Not only is it supposed to be Stainless Steel, but the dink has only been used for 3 days...Not 3 years..I may have to have an adult talk with Mercure Marine, I don't spend good dough on junk, and I am sure they will fix the problem.
Old 07-05-2008, 19:50   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Be sure to bring a magnet to prove your case.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 19:58   #11

Quote:
Be sure to bring a magnet to prove your case.

Already done 2 of those on this board: The heavy dink: Got $300.00 back from the dealer.
Also did a posting on a VHF antenna that corroded. Sent the factory a link to this board with my postings and picture, got a new antenna in the mail shorty thereafter.

Internet is good.
Old 07-05-2008, 21:07   #12

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
My 2005 *genuine* Yamaha engine is built like crap. I can't imagine the knockoff of these already crappy outboard would be good.

BTW: In 2005 anyway, the Yamaha was made in France.

I keep finding myself wishing I had older things. The newer things I have (outboard, Yanmar engines) aren't built as well. It's the little things surrounding them where they fail, not the engine itself. It's the hardware holding things together. My guess is the Chinese ones would be the same, or worse... could be like my Chinese Yanmar genset. I "saved" $2000 over the Yanmar model buying it. Worked for I think 100 hours before it threw a rod... and with no service, it was just garbage.

Sorry... wish I had more to contribute than these experiences. I haven't bought a Chinese outboard.

I doubt I ever will - and that has nothing to do with politics. I just can't afford to buy that kind of stuff

My expiriance with chinese made engines has not been very good ethier although i can't contribute much i can say that the last time i used a boat with yamaha egines the slight offshore breeze was more relable than the engines and i ended up telling my buddy who owned the boat to replace the engines or i wouldn't upgrade his stuff anymore! hahaha
Old 07-05-2008, 21:14   #13

I did buy a 4hp Chinese outboard on ebay, it lasted 2 weeks. a complete load of crap
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 21:57   #14

China cannot make anything of quality materials, their engineers get orders to build a replica of something and to make it with the absolute cheapest materials, its a country that are masters of cheap unreliable copies.

When I need cheap disposable hardware, fasteners, or anything coming from China its for something I would never depend upon, not for safety, and not for endurance, I swear they make this stuff with the long range vision of toppling other countries with their crap.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 22:40   #15

I do not agree with you silverado.

China makes a lot of very good quality products much cheaper than other countries.
Which is why their economy is growing so fast.

The problem with China is there are many different quality standards. Steel for example can be purchased in many different grades. Here in Australia it is generally all good quality but expensive but is is $2,000 a ton here.(and we produce most of it) However i purchased very good quality steel in China for $1,000 a ton. And it probably came from Australia.

I have manufactured products in China and you can source good quality or poor quality, but you have to be carefull what you specify for your requirements.
I have been caught a couple of time, the outboard was total junk. Other items have been half the price but turned out to be very good products.

Generally I found Chinese companies try and "do the right thing" but don't always know the right western standards.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote