Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2013, 19:18   #121

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Hmmm... Not much info on the engines here.. lots of heresay though.

The only product wich I have intimate knowledge on moving to the far east is Marzocchi MX/Downhill forks. They moved east before the 2008 season.
Their 2007 bike (Italian made) forks are the strongest one ever made , 2008's are rubbish, 2009 mediocre, while their 2010 models are quite good.

The Engines:

TDME and M-Power marine are the same engines. I'm considering one for my cheap sailboat , so I've looked at their smaller engines

8hp: TDME500: This is based on Kubota(copy?) Z482. Same as Nanni 2.10/2.14 and Beta 10/14. Nanni and Beta engines has 14hp/3600rpm while the TDME has 8hp at 3000rpm.

10hp: TDME550: A bit of a mystery.. I think it's either a Z482 wich is bored from 67 to 72mm or a Z602 with a Z482 crankshaft.

14hp: TDME2M78: Another mystery.. I'm not shure but it looks like a Kubota D1105 with one cylinder cut off. Anybody who knows if Kubota ever made one?

21hp: TDME3M78: Kubota D1105. (Nanni 3.30 and Beta 28/30) Nanni/Beta has 30hp at 3600rpm, while the chinese has 21hp at 3000rpm

.manitu
Old 14-04-2013, 19:37   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
All that effort and they're too cheap to hire an English-speaking copy editor.

I'm available Chinese manufacturers.

Chop chop.
thats funny..
Old 14-04-2013, 19:52   #123

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcatter View Post
I know that this is a bit different than marine engines but I think the idea is the same. 4 years ago my brother bought a Mahindra tractor that is built in china, within 2 years of light use it was in the scrap yard. I own a 10 year old Kubota and have had no problems. The Mahindra motor was junk, when he changed the oil, (which he did often) it was gray and silver and felt like sand. The motor suffered a catastrophic failure at 200 hours of use. All I know is that he had this tractor for a short time and I am still using my old Kubota. For diesel engines it is American/Canadian, Japanese, or European for me. I owned a trucking company, and have a lot of experience with Diesel motors, Volvo, is my Favorite( reliable, clean and easy to maintain), next is Cummins. remember the old adage " you get what you pay for."
It was my understanding Mahindra tractors were Indian based and made in India.

However a google search says they also have factory in China and assembly plants in USA.

Mahindra Tractors | Who we Are | Mahindra Global Tractors
Old 14-04-2013, 20:17   #124
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Old 14-04-2013, 20:48   #125
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Thats funny too...
Old 14-04-2013, 21:28   #126

You have to excuse me if I got this wrong..

Where is the thread for discussing the TDME/M-Power engines? This one is obviously for half-racist, ill-informed, trying to-be-funny hearsay mambojambo.

I do believe there is a place for such too (exept the racial slur about "chinese mindset") , but there must be an off-topic section for that?

Anyway , just point me to the correct thread/forum , and I'll be gone from this one.

.manitu
Old 14-04-2013, 22:31   #127

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post

Where is the thread for discussing the TDME/M-Power engines? This one is obviously for half-racist, ill-informed, trying to-be-funny hearsay mambojambo.

I do believe there is a place for such too (exept the racial slur about "chinese mindset") , but there must be an off-topic section for that?

Anyway , just point me to the correct thread/forum , and I'll be gone from this one.

.manitu
I think mosts peoples opinion is based on the Chinese items we buy day to day. Not any form of racism that is as blatant as you're suggesting. But please feel free to be gone anyways. You don't need anyone's encouraging.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 15-04-2013, 03:04   #128

Sorry, my last post came out a bit rude, but any atempt to discuss these chinese engines seems to end in a off-topic hammering at the chinese..

And saying that the chinese can't make nothing but junk because of their mindset is... racism.

.manitu
Old 15-04-2013, 03:10   #129
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I worked in teh US auto industry in the 80s, just as the Japs were killing GM et al. The view in the US industry at the time was the "japs produce junk" , yet it was clear that they were getting better and better and US stuff was descending into the quality mire. Hubris. It took the virtual decimation of the industry to turn things around, We're in exactly the same place with the Chinese today.

Dave
Old 15-04-2013, 03:29   #130
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I think mosts peoples opinion is based on the Chinese items we buy day to day. Not any form of racism that is as blatant as you're suggesting. But please feel free to be gone anyways. You don't need anyone's encouraging.
I've seen a few racist comments. Someone called it nationalist which is just a euphemism for race based bigotry. Telling people to go away because they call somebody out about it is pathetic. The xenophobic morons who have slammed everything Chinese on here need a lesson in cultural diversity.
Old 15-04-2013, 04:32   #131
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post

.manitu
Mumbo & Jumbo - the parents of a very (in)famous child .

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1330/1330-h/1330-h.htm
Old 15-04-2013, 04:33   #132

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Well, it was insensitive of me to mention the poor English translations in the Chinese ad copy. I'm sick about it now.

I also mentioned that Nan Tong Diesel (or was it Danged Dong Diesel?) was nationalized. I was referring to the process where a GOVERNMENT takes over a private company that has gotten too big for its britches, (裤子马裤). Racist? Or astute observation of jingoism?* I mentioned this as an example of Nan Tong/Danged Dong probably making a good reliable engine if the Govt wanted to take it over its mfg processes. Dunno but suspect that ISO9001, is in play here, along with CE, UL, and NG (NatGeo).

Another astute observation: I'd try a Chinese diesel since I really like that blue paint job (go figure!) but it's so much danged dong work to replace the engine if it's junk. If, however, it was shown that Nan Tong was the engine in trillions of fishing boats and river craft, ... well, hey.

*(I don't know what jingoism actually means but I'm going to see the movie when it comes out.) There's a black guy in the lead. Is it OK to say that on here?
Old 15-04-2013, 04:34   #133
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
I've seen a few racist comments. Someone called it nationalist which is just a euphemism for race based bigotry. Telling people to go away because they call somebody out about it is pathetic. The xenophobic morons who have slammed everything Chinese on here need a lesson in cultural diversity.
I have to agree with that; History repeats itself and many don't even notice it: finding something or someone to blame and ridicule is easier it seams..

Old 15-04-2013, 04:56   #134
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Well, it was insensitive of me to mention the poor English translations in the Chinese ad copy. I'm sick about it now.

I also mentioned that Nan Tong Diesel (or was it Danged Dong Diesel?) was nationalized. I was referring to the process where a GOVERNMENT takes over a private company that has gotten too big for its britches, (裤子马裤). Racist? Or astute observation of jingoism?* I mentioned this as an example of Nan Tong/Danged Dong probably making a good reliable engine if the Govt wanted to take it over its mfg processes. Dunno but suspect that ISO9001, is in play here, along with CE, UL, and NG (NatGeo).

Another astute observation: I'd try a Chinese diesel since I really like that blue paint job (go figure!) but it's so much danged dong work to replace the engine if it's junk. If, however, it was shown that Nan Tong was the engine in trillions of fishing boats and river craft, ... well, hey.

*(I don't know what jingoism actually means but I'm going to see the movie when it comes out.) There's a black guy in the lead. Is it OK to say that on here?
I was referring to a post by another user (group9) but if you feel it necessary to defend your posts, be my guest. This whole thread is demonstrative that even cruising sailors don't get out enough. I always thought we were a more enlightened bunch, but maybe it's just the Bluewater sailors who actually visit another country that learn cultural tolerance.
I also know a wee bit about marine and industrial engines and their various advantages/disadvantages as per brand. Just in the midst of top tuning a pair of N14 Cummins (circa 1992) made in China. Horrible bloody things, give me a Dong Fen any day.
Old 15-04-2013, 05:14   #135

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

I knew no one was after me but I've been wanting to use jingoism in a sentence, proving I am smarter than a fifth grader.

Otherwise, it's raining. I'm retarred. I don't have to get out in the rain. I really would go with a proven Chinese diesel. It would fit right in with most of my other tools.

You are treading on hot coals, however, when you mention BLUEWATER
'round here.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel