Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2013, 13:19   #106
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"...just that not yet a demand for them to do so locally ...."
Lol! you caught me being lazy - too lazy to go past a broad generalisation , but I stand by my basic point.

I see it kinda like British cars in the 1970's (and 80's!) - cheap and easy to fix, because they needed to be and folks would buy them rather than more expensive to fix japanese "rubbish" for that reason, despite the japanese cars needing less fixing so actually costing less overall - but eventually the penny dropped for both consumers and manufacturers.

I kinda regret not having long since visited China, on my to do list (it's a long list!) - from what I hear and read sounds a fascinating place and full of contradictions. IMO too early to tell how it will turn out..........
Old 14-04-2013, 13:26   #107

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

and...don't forget the Walmart connection! <We sell S@%^, for less!> Mauritz
Old 14-04-2013, 13:32   #108

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Can you back this fact up?
The fact that Rocna stated that mPA 800 steel was essential for their design but then used lower grade steel is about as well backed up as a fact can be. Numerous tests confirming this have been done, including destructive testing by me. The current story from the firm that picked up the brand once it became widely known that the Rocna premium product was hardly premium was that high grade steel in the shanks isn't necessary. Perhaps it isn't for the vast majority of boaters, but since better made products that perform equally well for the same or less cost are available, it remains a mystery why anyone would buy a Rocna, whoever is currently making it.
Old 14-04-2013, 15:02   #109
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes, what you mean to say is that it is about quality control.
nope ISO has nothing to do with quality "control".

dave
Old 14-04-2013, 15:07   #110
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
nope ISO has nothing to do with quality "control".

dave
Enlighten us then. When my company looked into it, they called it a Quality Management System; would those be the exact words you want to hear
Old 14-04-2013, 15:12   #111
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Enlighten us then. When my company looked into it, they called it a Quality Management System; would those be the exact words you want to hear
Im not being facetious, merely explaining how ISO 9000 is merely a documentation system primarily not a method of ensuring, or maintaining any particular "quality".

As to what term you apply to it, Ive seen many. IN our case, after a few years , we let it lapse, it was doing nothing for the business, it was a turn fo teh century thing really.

Dave
Old 14-04-2013, 15:21   #112

Boat: PETERSON 44

Why I chose a Cummins.
It had a similar foot print to the old Perkins 4-154
It is used all over the world.
It has a low rpm for hp.
It is naturally aspirated to obtain hp.
Well built by reputable company
No doubt Cummins is going to be around for a while/proven company.
What engine were you looking at that meets this criteria
Old 14-04-2013, 15:56   #113

Boat: Leopard 48 or 58????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
Mahindra has three assembly plants in the US. One assembly plant is at its North American headquarters in Houston, Texas, another in Red Bluff, California and the latest assembly and distribution center moved from Calhoun, Georgia to Chattanooga, Tennessee at the end of 2009.

GET THE PITCHFORKS!
I may need to clarify a bit, I am not slamming one company, I know many farmers who use Mahindras and swear by them, I think the tractor was a lemon to begin with, it happens to all makes and models. The truth is in what people are saying given time and demand the Chinese engines will probably be a good product, but the caveat is that for the interim they lack the QC of European, Japanese, and American Co.'s. I am just an old curmudgeon who believes that if a product has not been tried and proven I do not want it, especially on a boat. With that said ask this question ten years from now and if the engines have proven themselves I will probably be one of the folks on the band wagon singing their praise.
Old 14-04-2013, 16:10   #114
Nearly an old salt

We really need feedback from actual users, not idle speculation. These chinese engines are developed for pumping water in rice paddies and to all feedback I hear are robust if simple ( and loud) but I have no direct experience and hopefully we might hear from someone that actually has used them. I mean its not that we havent had problems with Volvo or Yanmar right !

I have no time for the general Chinese bashing based on cultural perceptions, what we need are first hand facts.

Dave
Old 14-04-2013, 16:20   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
We really need feedback from actual users, not idle speculation. These chinese engines are developed for pumping water in rice paddies and to all feedback I hear are robust if simple ( and loud) but I have no direct experience and hopefully we might hear from someone that actually has used them. I mean its not that we havent had problems with Volvo or Yanmar right !

I have no time for the general Chinese bashing based on cultural perceptions, what we need are first hand facts.

Dave
The majority of chinese dont use engines to irrgate there fields,most I have seen use foot powered paddle wheels or gravity,except on gov. co-ops and they(gov.) use Cats and the like form what I have seen...
Old 14-04-2013, 16:24   #116

Boat: Aries 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcatter View Post
I may need to clarify a bit, I am not slamming one company, I know many farmers who use Mahindras and swear by them, I think the tractor was a lemon to begin with, it happens to all makes and models. The truth is in what people are saying given time and demand the Chinese engines will probably be a good product, but the caveat is that for the interim they lack the QC of European, Japanese, and American Co.'s. I am just an old curmudgeon who believes that if a product has not been tried and proven I do not want it, especially on a boat. With that said ask this question ten years from now and if the engines have proven themselves I will probably be one of the folks on the band wagon singing their praise.
I think you're still missing the point. Mahindra has very deep American roots, going back to the 1940s, and their initial tractor offerings were designed by two American companies (M&M and International Harvester) in the 1960s. The stuff they sell in the US is made in the US, where they've been manufacturing for 15 years. The company itself is Indian.

I'm not sure what you were trying to get at by comparing them to Chinese boat engines, but it came across as ignorant xenophobia. Please accept my apologies if that was not the intent.

Of course every manufacturer produces the occasional lemon, but the entire point of QC programs are to make sure those end up in the company scrap heap instead of in the hands of consumers. In the case of your example, American quality control failed.
Old 14-04-2013, 17:11   #117

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

How about this one:
Nan Tong Diesel
Product name: 2135Ca Marine engine
Rated speed: 1500 r/min
Rated Power: 24 kW 33hp
Number of cylinders: 2
Bore * Stroke: 135 mm * 140 mm (~5" x 5")
Overload power: 26.9 kW
Minimum fuel consumption: 215 g/kW·h
Pass-location: Checked by CCS
Category: Marine Diesel Eng
Inlet: NA
Dimension: 860 mm × 770 mm × 1194 mm

These come with various suffixi ... indicating inspections. Company founded in 1953, and nationalized in 90s.

Wonder what's been running those Yangtze river boats all this time? Wonder who will start importing?
Old 14-04-2013, 18:33   #118
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Check out the one they call "the fishing boat motor" Instills confidence in me..
Old 14-04-2013, 19:02   #119

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

All that effort and they're too cheap to hire an English-speaking copy editor.

I'm available Chinese manufacturers.

Chop chop.
Old 14-04-2013, 19:03   #120
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
All that effort and they're too cheap to hire an English-speaking copy editor.

I'm available Chinese manufacturers.

Chop chop.
I know a guy who is professional translator. He translates Japanese English to American English

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel