Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2013, 10:38   #91

Boat: Aries 32
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcatter View Post
Maybe it was just his luck, or maybe just a bad engine, all I know is that he is borrowing my tractor and I am not borrowing his. I am not saying that all Chinese products are bad
Mahindra has three assembly plants in the US. One assembly plant is at its North American headquarters in Houston, Texas, another in Red Bluff, California and the latest assembly and distribution center moved from Calhoun, Georgia to Chattanooga, Tennessee at the end of 2009.

GET THE PITCHFORKS!

Old 14-04-2013, 10:43   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There's a common mis conception about ISO 9000. I took a manufacturing plant through that certification. It doesn't mandate any particular quality. Its just means you have to document and record what " quality" you decide. You can have an ISO 9000 certified manufacturing producing absolute crap, once you decide that's what you have decided to produce.

Dave

Been wondering how long before someone pointed this out. ISO doesn't guarantee quality, it documents procedure, consistency, etc. You can be ISO9000 certified and make total junk, but you make the same grade of junk every time and can prove it by the paperwork.

Old 14-04-2013, 10:44   #93
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Been wondering how long before someone pointed this out. ISO doesn't guarantee quality, it documents procedure, consistency, etc. You can be ISO9000 certified and make total junk, but you make the same grade of junk every time and can prove it by the paperwork.

Yes, what you mean to say is that it is about quality control.
Old 14-04-2013, 10:55   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
An old surveyor from Det Norske Veritas told me this anecdote. Once upon a time he was called upon to perform a survey of cargo delivery process used by some junk ship company operating in Papua New Guniea, for the purposes of ISO 9001 certification. 9001 is a service company sibling of 9000 (which is for manufacturing). According to the surveyor, his client needed ISO certification to do government work.

The process he observed went as follows:

1. The junk arrives at an island, in front of two and a half huts on the beach, drops anchor and honks.

2. Consignee (receiver of cargo) arrives by swimming from shore.

3. Consignee produces the bill of lading by pulling a sealed plastic bag out of his swimming trunks.

4. The necessary paperwork is done, and the cargo is delivered by throwing a crate overboard.

5. Consignee departs from the vessel the same way he arrived, pulling the cargo in his wake.

6. The junk lifts anchor and sails into the sunset.

7. Since the surveyor can observe traceability, accountability and all the other prerequisite ilities, he finds the whole affair to be entirely ISO 9001-compliant.
I like this story,I have seen similar...
Old 14-04-2013, 11:15   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

This is so true..... but ISO services are money making corporations right? Maybe they should offload to China!

Was there ever any answers about Chinese Diesels in this thread???? Was the old Pisces diesel chinese?
There are probably quite a few watching this thread that have Chinese boats! Thats probably a good example, I doubt there has ever been a US made boat with the interior work to compare with Ta Shing.... it's all about what you ask for...

Old 14-04-2013, 12:18   #96

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The Rocna anchors had a lower strength steel because Rocna told them to use that steel instead of the originally specified stronger steel. How people can insist on repeating that false info is beyond comprehension.
Can you back this fact up?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Old 14-04-2013, 12:19   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Can you back this fact up?
Doesnt need to ... you just said it was a fact!

Old 14-04-2013, 12:59   #98

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

21Hp Inboard Marine Diesel Engine - Product Group1 - Product Catalog - YANGDONG CO.,LTD.

Old 14-04-2013, 13:03   #99
Armchair Bucketeer

For every bit of Chinese made tat sold into the US market there is usually an American Vendor involved.

"Americans sell cr#p" perhaps doesn't sound so easy - even if it is part of the problem, the other part being "Americans buy cr#p"....the Chinese (or anyone else) making the cr#p simply responding to market forces.....and likely also taking advantage of numpty western businesses who arrive with a cheque and a head full of wishful thinking - IMO would be kinda rude not to take advantage by delivering what they request, even if including lots of what they did not because it makes Mr Chinaman more money. Pay peanuts and get monkeys is not a problem unless the monkeys are smarter than you........

The market always gets what it demands (aka what it pays for). just that it's not always what it really wants, nor is a good thing.

In regard to Chinese boat engines, wayyy too early for me to buy one - but give it a decade or 2 and I am sure I will be happy to. and that not because I think the Chinese can't make good stuff (they can), just that not yet a demand for them to do so locally - as likely with cheap labour fixing stuff still the cheapest route than building in reliability (Chinese same as Americans - will buy on price!, albeit likely with the Chinese more about neccessity as it's either a Chinese engine that needs constant fixing or a buffalo!).
Old 14-04-2013, 13:14   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"...just that not yet a demand for them to do so locally ...." The Chinese middle class is getting huge, they are buying stuff like it's going out of style... Just saw it on TV the other night.
You'd be very surprised at the state of affairs in China, cities are very modern, modern high rise apartments, They are buying cars and stuff like crazy. Always hard to try a new "unknown to you" product for sure. But I would imagine they think the same as we do, and want a reliable diesel engine in their delivery trucks.... Is this the engine? hard to say. Was the Iveco delivery truck sold in the US chinese powered? I'm not sure but those things just on forever.... great engines...
My gues is the next world crisis will be food. With their economy growing so fast and the Chinese having a lot of spending money, whose going to supply all the beef, grain, veggies etc?

Old 14-04-2013, 13:17   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
... it's either a Chinese engine that needs constant fixing or a buffalo!).
Think I read somewheres that the Chinese only fix the female buffaloes.
Old 14-04-2013, 13:20   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"...just that not yet a demand for them to do so locally ...." The Chinese middle class is getting huge, they are buying stuff like it's going out of style... Just saw it on TV the other night.
You'd be very surprised at the state of affairs in China, cities are very modern, modern high rise apartments, They are buying cars and stuff like crazy. Always hard to try a new "unknown to you" product for sure. But I would imagine they think the same as we do, and want a reliable diesel engine in their delivery trucks.... Is this the engine? hard to say. Was the Iveco delivery truck sold in the US chinese powered? I'm not sure but those things just on forever.... great engines...
I belive Iveco used Mitsubishi engines,maybe others..Lots of those Chinese citys are sitting empty,as well as highways , airports,train tracks etc ...
Old 14-04-2013, 13:24   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep, they have so much money they built entire cities "on the come". Then the recession hit (them too) and they are sitting empty.

Old 14-04-2013, 13:31   #104

Wikipedia, my bible of info, indicates Iveco just began exporting Chinese built big trucks last Dec. Apparently they used Fiat engines in times past. Saw a suggestion that Ford is now involved.
Old 14-04-2013, 14:05   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Wikipedia, my bible of info, indicates Iveco just began exporting Chinese built big trucks last Dec. Apparently they used Fiat engines in times past. Saw a suggestion that Ford is now involved.
so maybe the Iveco was a Fiat engine bought through Chrysler, owned by Mercedes, through a division of Ford exporting and probably made in Thailand....

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: