Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2013, 04:57   #241
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico
Boat: Beneteau 456
Posts: 429
Images: 8
A friend just received his brand new Fleming 65 trawler. Made in china. The quality is simply superior. Amazing finish with beautiful polished stainless steel everywhere.
__________________

__________________
avazquez is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 05:36   #242
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by avazquez View Post
A friend just received his brand new Fleming 65 trawler. Made in china. The quality is simply superior. Amazing finish with beautiful polished stainless steel everywhere.
Of-course. This thread just has some troubled souls that feel that they are losing and bashing the soon to be winner, China, makes them feel better. May be they lost their job in Detroit to the Japanese and think they can stop the Chinese this time this way. The arguments are the same so in their logic the result will be better this time. Makes sense to them.

Even if everything from Chinese factories is utter junk; the west still buy it happily. The Panama Canal is being trippled in capacity so that their ships with goods can get there in tripple numbers. They build some extra trans-continent railroads to help. With buying all that they produce, you are defeated already, no matter how loud you bash them on an Internet forum. Afterwards they walk away from their Chinese built computers, pick up their Chinese built phones to call for some Chow Mein to be delivered to their Chinese built front doors.
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 07:37   #243
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Here in North Carolina, one can ride a gas 49cc scooter with no license or insurance at a max of 35mph. You can rent one on the beach but these are real transportation for hundreds if not thousands in the area. You can lose your auto driver's license and still get around with a scooter. Is this a great country or what?

I've seen a couple of Italian machines but most are Chinese with goofy names like "Vitality". They seem to be VERY durable. Carry two up. I've heard zero comments about poor quality and there are several riders in my small sphere of influence.

I have a YSM 12 Yanmar fitted where no engine was designed to go. When and if it dies, I intend to remove the bridge deck and make it easily removeable/waterproof, etc to provide unobstructed access. With the access, I might gamble on a new Chinese diesel.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 08:57   #244
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
GrowleyMonster, just an additional note here. I did have an option for the Queenslander. A friend is about to go cruising Asia and plans to settle permanently in Singapore when he gets there. Since this is a major trip he's replacing his aging but still working Peugeot-based 52hp Vetus engine before leaving and offered me the Vetus gratis.

It needs a new exhaust elbow, price from official channels was ... $800. I did pretty good with those SDEC engines. Here's a photo of what I bought:
Nice offer! $800 all-in, plus labor and a crane, to end up with a running 52hp diesel of known brand and dependability? Can't beat that. Will that be overpowering? Diesels like to run typically 60 to 90% power. They live longer and operate more efficiently. Of course if you hardly ever run it, I suppose it is no big deal. But then the two chinese engines could make one install in the other boat and a complete spare engine. It sorta makes sense, since you say you would be unlikely to ever put 1000 hours on the engine anyhow. Anyway, it's not much of a gamble, as long as you have a dependable outboard for maneuvering in harbor in the event your installed diesel ceases to function at a bad time, and you stay well off the lee shores and reefs. So I am gonna stop casting doom and gloom on your plans and just wait to see the outcome, with great interest. It just might work out for your application.

Oh, and all rubber or plastic seals, hoses, wires, gaskets, impellors, etc you might want to be quick about sourcing spares. Chinese plastic and rubber is often of atrocious quality, I notice. Even more so than steel or iron, which is sometimes actually pretty good, as in the case of the Gold Dollar straight razors, for instance. I would keep an eye on anything likely to crack or disintegrate. Age and exposure to petroleum distilliates or solvents or heat can play hell with cheap plastic bits. Just something to watch out for, not necessarily a dealbreaker.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 09:06   #245
Registered User
 
GrowleyMonster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27
Posts: 1,298
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Here in North Carolina, one can ride a gas 49cc scooter with no license or insurance at a max of 35mph. You can rent one on the beach but these are real transportation for hundreds if not thousands in the area. You can lose your auto driver's license and still get around with a scooter. Is this a great country or what?

I've seen a couple of Italian machines but most are Chinese with goofy names like "Vitality". They seem to be VERY durable. Carry two up. I've heard zero comments about poor quality and there are several riders in my small sphere of influence.

I have a YSM 12 Yanmar fitted where no engine was designed to go. When and if it dies, I intend to remove the bridge deck and make it easily removeable/waterproof, etc to provide unobstructed access. With the access, I might gamble on a new Chinese diesel.
If no engine was designed to go there, then maybe you don't really NEED an engine, but just like to have one? In that case, a very cheap, short projected useful life, Chinese diesel might be a cost effective option. But I am thinking that rebuilding the Yanmar might be a better option, if rebuildable. I would expect the rebuilt Yanmar to be more dependable and also make the boat more attractive to buyers in the event that you decide to sell.
__________________
GrowleyMonster
1976 Cal 2-27, MR WIGGLES
Now with clean, dependable electric propulsion!
GrowleyMonster is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 09:39   #246
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

I still think the KEY word is CHEAP. Ya buy cheap ya get cheap. No way around that ! If ya want the best it's gonna cost more !! Simple! I don't think anyone with a bit of inteligence would think that the Chinese can't make GOOD diesel engines. But the word Good and Cheap do not really go together! Ya pays your money and take your chances ! The cheap I have seen down here, are just that cheap and bad ! I would love to see the better ones! so far all Ive seen is the cheap ones and they are JUNK ! Just my 2 cents
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 16:11   #247
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Here in North Carolina, one can ride a gas 49cc scooter with no license or insurance at a max of 35mph. ...I've seen a couple of Italian machines but most are Chinese with goofy names like "Vitality". They seem to be VERY durable. Carry two up. I've heard zero comments about poor quality and there are several riders in my small sphere of influence.
'Vitality' is a scooter model made by Kymco, which is based in Taiwan.... which may be worthy of its own thread. With all the hoopla about mainland China, we've maybe forgotten that the 'free' Chinese have toiling away in Taiwan for over 60 years. Kymco has been a bicycle and motorcycle OEM and brand for about 50 years.

I'm reminded that one of my favourite small discount tool shops features wrenches, sockets, etc mainly from Taiwan, and the stuff has been pretty good.

If someone could point me to a marine diesel engine from a Taiwanese manufacturer with as long a track record as Kymco, I would be more open to trying that... personally speaking.

AAAND... Fleming Yachts are made in Taiwan, not mainland China.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 17:19   #248
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

In this 2 vids show how Daedong engines are made , 2 vid show a bit of the company history, seems to me Hyundai and Mitshubisi blocks are used in the construction?? Hand made as you see.....




__________________
neilpride is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 17:29   #249
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 75
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Ok...a little off tracj here...but...
Given how the Chinese are busy exterminating the world's wildlife...ala. ivory, finning, medical body parts...one would hope that sometime soon, we all will vote with our $$ and NOT buy crap from them. Kinda hard when nobody else makes crap anymore...but you get my drift. The recent shipment of eleven TONS of anteater bodies is just the tip of the iceberg....Shocking.
Chinese ship runs into protected reef in Philippines ? while transporting 11 tons of illegal anteater meat - World News
__________________
Brogan007 is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 17:37   #250
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan007 View Post
Ok...a little off tracj here...but...
Given how the Chinese are busy exterminating the world's wildlife...ala. ivory, finning, medical body parts...one would hope that sometime soon, we all will vote with our $$ and NOT buy crap from them. Kinda hard when nobody else makes crap anymore...but you get my drift. The recent shipment of eleven TONS of anteater bodies is just the tip of the iceberg....Shocking.
Chinese ship runs into protected reef in Philippines ? while transporting 11 tons of illegal anteater meat - World News
Way off track. We are discussing Chinese made diesel motors here.

Yeah The Japanese don't kill whales, Australians kangaroos and Africans elephants. This is not the place.
__________________
downunder is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 17:37   #251
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

I ran into some ad copy for a small Chinese diesel: size emphasis mine

Specifications
1.newly-design,compact structure modle
2.steable power and big torque
3.ISO9001:2008
4.for attaching universal machinery
QR168F is newly design model,which has many improvements on performance. This model engine is consumes
0#(Summer),-10#(Winter)diesel oil.
The improved technology as following:
1.the fuel pump is attached on the engine block,but for old model engine,the fuel pump was attached on the gear cover;
2.thicken the engine block part and crank.

I'd guess the word is getting out.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline  
Old 17-04-2013, 19:18   #252
Registered User
 
haiqu's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere on Australia's east coast.
Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'
Posts: 465
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Nice offer! $800 all-in, plus labor and a crane, to end up with a running 52hp diesel of known brand and dependability? Can't beat that. Will that be overpowering? Diesels like to run typically 60 to 90% power. They live longer and operate more efficiently. Of course if you hardly ever run it, I suppose it is no big deal. But then the two chinese engines could make one install in the other boat and a complete spare engine. It sorta makes sense, since you say you would be unlikely to ever put 1000 hours on the engine anyhow. Anyway, it's not much of a gamble, as long as you have a dependable outboard for maneuvering in harbor in the event your installed diesel ceases to function at a bad time, and you stay well off the lee shores and reefs. So I am gonna stop casting doom and gloom on your plans and just wait to see the outcome, with great interest. It just might work out for your application.
I advised him to put it on eBay, the top end is ringing a bit and he's not replacing it without reason. I think it would be more of a liability than the SDEC engines, frankly.

If the Chinese diesels last 1000 hours I'll be rapt. According to the Sumlog the Perkins managed 2562 hours before exploding, although it may not have been new when installed.

Quote:
Oh, and all rubber or plastic seals, hoses, wires, gaskets, impellors, etc you might want to be quick about sourcing spares. Chinese plastic and rubber is often of atrocious quality, I notice. Even more so than steel or iron, which is sometimes actually pretty good, as in the case of the Gold Dollar straight razors, for instance. I would keep an eye on anything likely to crack or disintegrate. Age and exposure to petroleum distilliates or solvents or heat can play hell with cheap plastic bits. Just something to watch out for, not necessarily a dealbreaker.
Yep. See my message to travisD on the previous page.
__________________
http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline  
Old 18-04-2013, 08:20   #253
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
'Vitality' is a scooter model made by Kymco, which is based in Taiwan.... which may be worthy of its own thread. With all the hoopla about mainland China, we've maybe forgotten that the 'free' Chinese have toiling away in Taiwan for over 60 years. Kymco has been a bicycle and motorcycle OEM and brand for about 50 years.

I'm reminded that one of my favourite small discount tool shops features wrenches, sockets, etc mainly from Taiwan, and the stuff has been pretty good.

If someone could point me to a marine diesel engine from a Taiwanese manufacturer with as long a track record as Kymco, I would be more open to trying that... personally speaking.

AAAND... Fleming Yachts are made in Taiwan, not mainland China.
I think Tiawan,being the home of Kumintang,is not the same as main land china,they have free enterprise and such ,the same can be said of Hong Kong and Macua to a point ,if not for Hong Kong and its recent history main land would still be riding bikes and eating lard cakes on Tinaman squire...IMO...
__________________
tropicalescape is offline  
Old 18-04-2013, 08:21   #254
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I ran into some ad copy for a small Chinese diesel: size emphasis mine

Specifications
1.newly-design,compact structure modle
2.steable power and big torque
3.ISO9001:2008
4.for attaching universal machinery
QR168F is newly design model,which has many improvements on performance. This model engine is consumes
0#(Summer),-10#(Winter)diesel oil.
The improved technology as following:
1.the fuel pump is attached on the engine block,but for old model engine,the fuel pump was attached on the gear cover;
2.thicken the engine block part and crank.

I'd guess the word is getting out.
61/2lbs of metal per HP makes a more dependable engine..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline  
Old 18-04-2013, 08:33   #255
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
61/2lbs of metal per HP makes a more dependable engine..
Good design and manufacturing makes a dependable engine , weight just pays for bigger fork trucks
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Opinion on Chinese Engines TD226B-4C3 col blumson Engines and Propulsion Systems 72 26-02-2013 15:37
One Starting Battery For Two Engines ? nnyerges Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 26 24-01-2012 08:15
(2) Perkins Diesel Engines for Sale SarahKathleen21 Commercial Posts 1 19-11-2011 20:20
Do Not Use Biocide Journeyman Engines and Propulsion Systems 37 24-07-2011 19:47
Common Rail Direct-Injection Diesel Engines inamk Engines and Propulsion Systems 29 22-07-2011 18:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.