Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2013, 13:13   #166
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
No the Chinese do not own the US.

Old 15-04-2013, 13:15   #167
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

nick read up on Fiat currencies.

dave
Old 15-04-2013, 13:16   #168
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
nick read up on Fiat currencies.

dave
Why, is there something new about it? How about checking which countries still have full gold reserve backing for their notes?!
Old 15-04-2013, 13:19   #169
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
Nationalism,patriotism and so on are all expression that someone or some place is just better than other. And yes , China isn't the most tolerant of places , but I refuse to be dragged down to that level. Only way to lead them forward is by example.
Is that part of the white mans burden? .

Maybe the Chinese are pretty happy with their worldview (including of us in the West ) and don't want to be conned into the idea of sharing what they make as a group with others who have just got off the aeroplane / boat simply because it is sold as "fair" (whereas the reality is that the con is about making sure the peasants remain part of the peasantry - peasants with wealth? "Good lord!, who would hold the sh#tty end of the stick?" ).
Old 15-04-2013, 13:26   #170
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Why, is there something new about it? How about checking which countries still have full gold reserve backing for their notes?!
irrelevant

based on the world gold councils 2012 , portugal has 89%, fat lot of good thats doing it. ( the US has 76%)

dave
Old 15-04-2013, 13:27   #171
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The Chinese (and Japanese too) own the USA. They have so much money into the US that asking it back would bankrupt it. They basically don't know what to do with their money. They build cities that are empty just to spend money. All that money comes out of the pockets of US buyers of their goods, no matter how loud they deny to buy Chinese goods here on CF
They own us?!!Would bankrupt us?!! Last time I checked the US gov was the largest holder of real estate in the world and Queen Elizabeth was the next...I guess when at war and you are strong(USA) "make yourself seem weak" to the other side and when weak "make yourself look strong"(china) It seems to be working if you think China could bankrupt America, the strongest and richest country in the history of the world...
Old 15-04-2013, 13:33   #172
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
They own us?!!Would bankrupt us?!! Last time I checked the US gov was the largest holder of real estate in the world and Queen Elizabeth was the next...I guess when at war and you are strong(USA) "make yourself seem weak" to the other side and when weak "make yourself look strong"(china) It seems to be working if you think China could bankrupt America, the strongest and richest country in the history of the world...
The great thing about Americans is they beleive their own propaganda, while remaining supremely ignorant of others history

The greatest and richest country( empire) the world has ever known was teh British Empire, its was 4 to 5 times richer then the equivalent peak US value, and encompasses 1/4 of the known world

Fat lot of good it did, the US would do well to ponder its fall.

Even today , in its reduced state

"The economy of the European Union generates a GDP of over €12.894 trillion (US$16.566 trillion in 2012)[1] according to Eurostat, making it the largest economy in the world."

The Chinese have an enormous domestic population, it is and will be a super power of significant size, it too will fall.

Dave

Dave
Old 15-04-2013, 13:43   #173
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
The great thing about Americans is they beleive their own propaganda, while remaining supremely ignorant of others history

The greatest and richest country( empire) the world has ever known was teh British Empire, its was 4 to 5 times richer then the equivalent peak US value, and encompasses 1/4 of the known world

Fat lot of good it did, the US would do well to ponder its fall.

Even today , in its reduced state

"The economy of the European Union generates a GDP of over €12.894 trillion (US$16.566 trillion in 2012)[1] according to Eurostat, making it the largest economy in the world."

The Chinese have an enormous domestic population, it is and will be a super power of significant size, it too will fall.

Dave

Dave
propaganda seems to work on you guys also...1/4 of someone elses world,least we did "pay" for Alaska...
Old 15-04-2013, 13:44   #174

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Wow!! I guess Im a raceist now ? All I said is the Chinee stuff Ive been asked to work on or look at down the bayou were shabby poorly made junk !!! Now thats true! Thin blocks, poorly machined parts inside, and no matter how cheap they are, they are still junk !! Now the fact that they make many GOOD things has nothing to do with the junk Ive looked at down here ! So if that makes me a raceist so be it !! My old daddy told me if it looks like junk and runs like junk, then ya can be pretty sure it is junk !! I would pay 4 times as much for a jap engine any day LOL (theres some more raceism for ya) Im positive that they can make a good engine, it just that they haven't shown up down here as yet !! say what ya want but, thats the way it is !! Junks junk, no matter where it comes from !!
Old 15-04-2013, 13:48   #175
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
propaganda seems to work on you guys also...1/4 of someone elses world,least we did "pay" for Alaska...
Im merely interested in trying to put a point across against the "USA USA USA" type hyperbole. The facts are as stated.

The key to survival as a superpower isnt hubris, its paranioa,

so if you , the US and its population were looking at China saying , whoops , we a bit scared here, better crack the whip at home and get moving" , Id say the US is safe, but hubris is the last emotion before the fall, the Empire suffered the same fate

All good successful men are paranoid, The US needs to be too.

Actually it probably in general is quite paramoid, thats quite good in my book.

Ive no interest in jingoism , Im just trying and failing to get some info on these engines.

BTW the Empire paid out a lot of glass beads in its day too.

dave
Old 15-04-2013, 13:49   #176

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
As far as chinese manufacturing goes, there are three distinct types. Well-run private businesses, old-school state-owned plants and "garage factories". The former is the only kind you should want to deal with. Funny thing is, they are virtually 100% certain to have a partnership deal with a western brand. Why? Because it's a good workaround for the poor brand perception of Chinese manufacturing, and also solves the problem of distribution/service network.

Foton-Cummins is a good example.

A no-name Chinese diesel with no marketing materials anywhere in sight is a telltale sign of the second kind of Chinese manufacturing (old-school). I'd steer clear of it, if I were you, unless you are in China. Reason: in China, there will be no shortage of very cheap spare parts and people willing and able to fix it, so your total cost of ownership is going to make sense - if you can live with some extra downtime. Outside of China, you'll be murdered by spares availability and maintenance costs.
Quite so. The other issue is that even well run factories have product rejects, and these are sometimes sold to third parties within China who re-brand them and sell them internationally. One product you do not want is one that is rejected as unfit for the Chinese market under a recognizable brand within that country. But perhaps the JIANGYAN XINGYANG MACHINE-BUILDING CO.,LTD. organization is a well run private company who just doesn't happen to have their own website.

I think our Norwegian history buff should buy one, put it in his boat and give us a full report.
Old 15-04-2013, 13:54   #177
Nearly an old salt

Many good Chinese companies have poor marketing and branding , often becuase the manufacturer in china rarely is the sales agent.

I buy invertors and dc dc convertors from a little chinese company with poor branding , product is however badged under several names by sales agents. Its a good reliable product and reasonable to boot.

There is lots of crap, plently of reasonable stuff and a fair bit of excellant stuff, just like the west in fact!!

DAve
Old 15-04-2013, 14:00   #178
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Jap sounds offensive and is ,but I and everyone else used to call a janitor at the school I attended "Sunshine" and I found out right fast one day when I was older that I was using a very, very racist term when 3 big ole fellows told me that I was going to applogize to Charles for calling him "Sunshine" all those years..
Say what? I have never heard that one and I grew up in the segregated, pre-civil rights south. I thought I had heard every rude, bigoted term ever used.

My mother even used to wake me up every morning saying good morning sunshine.

I have heard a similar word used in a derogatory manner but never sunshine. I'm wondering if those 3 big ole fellows were misdirected.
Old 15-04-2013, 14:03   #179
Nearly an old salt

Jap is offensive, in my defense I was relating a term and a phrase from the 80s. Now that we are all enlightened in these times we use the correct terms

Dave
Old 15-04-2013, 14:21   #180

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
I buy invertors and dc dc convertors from a little chinese company with poor branding , product is however badged under several names by sales agents. Its a good reliable product and reasonable to boot.
The last time I looked inside an invertor, it didn't look anywhere near as complicated to build as a diesel engine.

> I think our Norwegian history buff should buy one

Sure, as long as he understands the odds of being happy with the purchase quite a bit less than 100%.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel