Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 07:02   #1

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor
Chinese boat engines

Hey guys what do you think of the chinese marine engines listed on ebay like Hangkai? i heard these are medicore but a lot of them are 2 stroke and very light. i need one for my inflatable dingy and i was wondering if it was safe to buy? thanks mine will be between 2 and 10 HP with a weight between 20 and 70 lbs, boat as yet undecided.
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 07:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Chinese boat engines

Others have bought them, they often break, and when they do parts are nearly impossible to get.
Least that is what I have read here.
Seems it’s agreed that your better buying a good older used Japanese motor.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 07:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Hey guys what do you think of the chinese marine engines listed on ebay like Hangkai? i heard these are medicore but a lot of them are 2 stroke and very light. i need one for my inflatable dingy and i was wondering if it was safe to buy? thanks mine will be between 2 and 10 HP with a weight between 20 and 70 lbs, boat as yet undecided.
I have a small Chinese inverter generator (as a refurb, at like 70% off, so I gave it a shot); it's so far stood up to a few years of intermittent use, but I don't think it would hang in like a Honda gen under heavier use.

Our boat has a 5 HP 2-stroke Suzuki outboard (1983). Once I learned its quirks, it's been a brick - easy to start, dependable, little maintenance required. And I know that parts are pretty easy to get.

My conclusion - get a popular Japanese outboard. If cost is an issue, try to find a used one.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 07:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Others have bought them, they often break, and when they do parts are nearly impossible to get.
Least that is what I have read here.
Seems it’s agreed that your better buying a good older used Japanese motor.
The hangkai comes with a 1 year warranty so im assuming if it brreaks they send me a new one? i am not sure
Old 23-06-2018, 07:31   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

How about spare parts?

It's probably better to spend a bit more and buy locally.

I have a 5 hp 4 stroke Mercury I bought new in 2011. It works great!

Mine is pull start with internal and external fuel tank capabilities. I changed the plug and fuel filter last year for the first time
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 07:56   #6

Just buy a used engine off Craigs List. Some small engines sit in Grampa's garage forever for lake fishing and with little use.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 09:20   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chinese boat engines

Quote:
The hangkai comes with a 1 year warranty so im assuming if it brreaks they send me a new one? i am not sure

Sometimes having a warranty and having it honored are two different things.
I’m not saying that they won’t, just saying that I don’t usually think a warranty is worth much, but then again I have bad luck with rebate coupons too, I don’t even bother anymore.

Me, I’d take an old used Yamaha, Merc, Zuki with no warranty anyday over a new Chinese outboard.
Now likely that will one day change, just like people used to think Korean cars were low quality, but I don’t think it’s happened yet.
Old 23-06-2018, 09:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’d look to see if I could buy a water pump impeller and a carburetor easily and maybe a new pull starter, maybe a coil. Those are often replaced parts and should be readily available, if they are not easy to get, then maybe walk?
Old 23-06-2018, 10:08   #9

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

The simple truth is that there is no way you will know how good the motor you buy will be. The definition of quality control is CONSISTENTLY making the product to the manufacturing specs. No or lousy quality control means the product varies all over the place and that is what most Chinese manufacture is. You may get a good one, you may get crap, and you can't tell by looking at the outside and IT DOESN'T MATTER IF SOMEONE ELSE HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH THEIRS. And you think you'll be able to get spare parts down the road? Walk into the dealers and order half a dozen parts. See what happens.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 07:22   #10

With our new tariffs (trade war) getting parts from China may become a big problem. It will affect Japanese manufacturers also but they are firmly entrenched and will survive whatever happens. The Chinese are trying to break into the market, so are in a weaker position. Just something to consider. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 07:28   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just buy a used engine off Craigs List. Some small engines sit in Grampa's garage forever for lake fishing and with little use.

This.

A 90’s Yamaha 2 stroke if you can find one. Light, powerful, reliable, easy to get parts for, easy to trouble shoot and fix.
Old 24-06-2018, 07:36   #12

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
The simple truth is that there is no way you will know how good the motor you buy will be. The definition of quality control is CONSISTENTLY making the product to the manufacturing specs. No or lousy quality control means the product varies all over the place and that is what most Chinese manufacture is. You may get a good one, you may get crap, and you can't tell by looking at the outside and IT DOESN'T MATTER IF SOMEONE ELSE HAD GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH THEIRS. And you think you'll be able to get spare parts down the road? Walk into the dealers and order half a dozen parts. See what happens.
This.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:23   #13

Hey guys more than likely ill go with the hangkai 3.6 hp for a few different reasons. the boat i own the hydro force marine pro only weighs 30 to 40 lbs on its own and only is supposed to accept a 1.5 HP engine but the hangkai only weighs 20 lbs so this seems like a good fit for my boat. It seems like a bigger engine would weigh down the back of the boat more than it should. The boat is 11 feet long but very lightweight. Secondly it only costs $250 thats about the max on my budget i wish i could find a japanese model for cheaper but even the used ones are 350 to 650.

Of course you guys could prove me wrong but we will see how it goes.
Old 24-06-2018, 15:03   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Hey guys more than likely ill go with the hangkai 3.6 hp for a few different reasons. the boat i own the hydro force marine pro only weighs 30 to 40 lbs on its own and only is supposed to accept a 1.5 HP engine but the hangkai only weighs 20 lbs so this seems like a good fit for my boat. It seems like a bigger engine would weigh down the back of the boat more than it should. The boat is 11 feet long but very lightweight. Secondly it only costs $250 thats about the max on my budget i wish i could find a japanese model for cheaper but even the used ones are 350 to 650.

Of course you guys could prove me wrong but we will see how it goes.

Not only the engines weight but it's thrust needs to be taken into account. The attachment points may not stand up to use of a larger engine.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 16:47   #15

Some observations about Chinese Manufacture.
They will make anything you want for whatever price you want to pay.

What can they engineer out to meet that price?

If it has a 12 month warranty, then it has to last 12 months and 1 day. How many people are going to argue with the Vendor of a product that fails just outside of warranty. A lot seem to work on the principle of being able to make it too hard. This may be that the Vendor doesn't make much profit $ from the sale and has no money left to honour warranty.
Ding Duck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, engine