Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2017, 06:40   #16

Re: Changing oil, no access to sump?

Hello, All, I have the tall manual extractor, about 100 bucks, from WM, came with the boat. It is easy to use and gets all the oil out, on a Yanmar 3gm30F, and quickly. The small one would be fine, about 60 dollars. I don't spill any oil using it, an odd thing for me. I'd have to highly recommend either one of them. After I change the oil and run engine for 10 minutes, the oil on the stick is clear new oil, so I am confident I'm getting all the oil out. My 2 cents.. Kevin
VirginiaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 08:24   #17

Boat: Gulf 32

I use this Jabsco pump (seems very similar to the on West Marine sells) down the dipstick hole:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8F562

Yes it's expensive for a pump on top of a paint bucket, but my thinking (which has worked out so far) is I want to make this as easy as possible so I really do change my oil as frequently as I should.

Also works just fine for my transmission which also has no drain.

I would prefer something that drained from the bottom so I could really get all the crap out but that's just not how most marine engines are set up.

Try hard to keep track of just how much oil you have pumped out... I have thought I was done, then when filling with fresh oil found I was "full" sooner than I should have been and that I'd left some old dirty oil in the engine.

If you get the above pump, two things to know:
1) Don't use their cheesy plastic hose clamp to clamp the small hose to the big hose... there are reports of the small hose blowing off when you go to pump oil out of the bucket into a container, sounds messy.
2) Figure out some way to make the far end of the small hose rigid. The brake line recommendation above sounds good, I just zip tied a small dowel to it... if you don't make the small hose rigid it's much harder to force it all the way down to the bottom of the pan to get ALL the oil out (the hose tends to curl).

-- Bass
Old 14-11-2017, 08:36   #18

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I had my Yanmar 2GM20 out of my boat for a major overhaul couple of years back and before I replaced it, I drilled out the blanked off drain plug area on the oil pan and fitted a flexible hose coupled to a pemanently fitted manual pump out pump (plunger type) in brass, now when I do an oil change, I only need to fit a length of hose to the outlet spigot and start pumping. minimal mess and very easy. The pump cost about £22 as I recall. The only additional thing I subsequently added was a small stopcock in the hose from the sump to the pump, as certainly on the Yanmar, the sump seems to get pressurised and it would slowly push oil out up and out of the pump spigot!
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 09:05   #19

Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus : Mityvac
Gwfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 09:27   #20

Boat: Pacemaker MY 40ft

I have been using this mity vac for 5 years. Trouble fee, no electricity needed, I recommend it.
https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-...501cf47c2bbc54
Cliff Meima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 09:44   #21

Boat: ODAY 28

The vacuum pump type works quite well , can be found at most marine supply
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 10:51   #22

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Yes, an interesting subject this, I've often thought about connecting a permanent drain tube in place of the "plug", with a shut-off cock at the end of the tube, thus allowing one to drain the oil into a container in an accessible area of the bilge. I can see no reason not to do this, but I've never gotten around to doing it myself. One would need to make sure the shut-off cock would not/could not open itself, either by accident or otherwise. Has anyone else ever considered doing this or maybe even done this?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 14:22   #23

Boat: Southcoast 36

On a similar theme, the oil filter on our Yanmar 3HM is a pain to get off. Have two types of filter clamp and neither work well. Just can't seem to get clamp to a good position to get a good grip and some movement at the same. Any good filter clamps out there?

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 15:10   #24

On one of our boats (its an small lobster-fishing boat) there is an Oil drain pump built in to the engine (marine converted vw-diesel). You just put an empty container at the end of a hose and flip a switch and the oil is pumped out. This is great and I can’t really understand why not more manufacturers have this feature available.
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 16:37   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
On a similar theme, the oil filter on our Yanmar 3HM is a pain to get off. Have two types of filter clamp and neither work well. Just can't seem to get clamp to a good position to get a good grip and some movement at the same. Any good filter clamps out there?

Winf
Go to a good auto parts store and find one that fits your filter better. There are some that are operated with a ratchet and extension.

I will guess that you are screwing the filter on too tight in the first place. There are usually instructions on the box or the filter but it's typically two thirds or three quarters of a turn past where the rubber gasket touches the mounting.

I can usually get my filter off with my bare hands. Not easily, but I can do it.
Old 14-11-2017, 17:12   #26

Boat: Valiant 40

As mentioned these things are great. They come in a few different capacities; buy one that will suck out all the oil in one go.

I keep mine on the boat, since I'm always traveling. One pain is the extraction tubes. They are not very flexible (they have a thin metal rod in them to help with flow) and they drip oil for awhile after use so I have to stow them in a big plastic bag. Grrrr.

They are sold by a few different outfits, but it's the same product. Well built and sturdy. You can probably get it cheaper somewhere than the West Marine branded one.

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 17:22   #27

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenvector View Post
Google: Oil Extractor. There are various sizes and prices. Mine is a west marine and works great for things other than vacuuming out oil.
+1... Just like the one in the post above... I hand pump to create a vacuum, then sit back and drink a beer while it slowly sucks up the oil... I also used mine to suck up the oily water in my bilge from before I bought it... BTW Dawn dish detergent was great for cleaning out the bilge
Old 14-11-2017, 17:31   #28
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Go to a good auto parts store and find one that fits your filter better. There are some that are operated with a ratchet and extension.

I will guess that you are screwing the filter on too tight in the first place. There are usually instructions on the box or the filter but it's typically two thirds or three quarters of a turn past where the rubber gasket touches the mounting.

I can usually get my filter off with my bare hands. Not easily, but I can do it.
An oil filter should never be put on tighter than hand-tight. It's just a rubber O-ring seal. Making it tighter will not make it seal better, in fact it might make it seal worse as it can be deformed so much that it could split or leak anyhow. It should come off with just your hand too, unless it is really hard to get at and grip. A screwdriver at the base of the filter to "tap it" in the right direction to turn it slightly will get it off if the last zipperhead put it on too tight. Put a thin film of new oil on the O-ring before installation and it'll come off without a tool easier and seal better.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 18:13   #29

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

I've had my mighty vac for 9 years and have done lots of oil extractions plus friends boats as well in those years. Very satisfied.
Also recommend a gallon zip lock bag around your oil filter to keep the mess at bay.
Old 14-11-2017, 18:55   #30

Boat: O'Day 34

I use a 12vdc pony impeller pump from Harbor Freight. It costs about $36 and works great. It has garden hose fittings for the inlet and outlet. I purchased a dishwasher adapter which was garden hose to 3/8" hose for the inlet and connected it to a piece of 3/16" copper tubing that will fit down the dipstick hole. The pump came with 3' of garden hose which works great for pumping the oil into a container.
Do yourself a favor and buy a couple of female garden hose blank off fittings to cover the pump inlet and outlets when not in use. The garden hose connects to itself to prevent leaks.
This rig empties the oil in well under 1 minute.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil