Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 14:17   #1

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Changing Lower Seals on Volvo Saildrive 110s

I am in the process of changing the lower seals behind the bearing housing. (2 one that holds oil in the other keeps water out) I have struggled with this process to a point that I am completely stuck. To pull the bearing housing out you need a sleeve or nut as Volvo calls it that slips over the shaft and connects to a slide hammer. This sleeve is obsolete and in 6 hours of calls today no one has this piece. Several offered to do the work for me if I shipped it to them but I prefer to do my own work when possible.

That said does anyone know of an acceptable substitute for part 884611? I don't want to mangle the shaft. If I had some idea I'd have a machine shop make one. It just seems silly to be stumped by a $30 part.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:50   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Volvo Saildrive 110s changing lower seals

I pushed my bearing out using a suitably sized wooden plug that was just laying around in my bilge and a big hammer. Worked perfectly.

Managed to do this while the boat was beached in Darwin in between tides. I don't recommend doing it between tides as it was a bit stressful watching the water come back up the beach while I still had a large hole in the bottom of my saildrive!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 15:04   #3

Thanks but I'm not sure that is achievable on this particular unit. It seems to be nested in the leg and the manual suggests using a slide hammer to get it out with this now non existant sleeve screwed into the back side where the anode sits.

It's been tough to see seams on what goes where but I don't think I can access it any way but from the shaft side.

On the tide...that is an oh sh*$ if ever was one! I'm hauled for the winter so I have time but this part is just making me crazy.

SC
Old 03-11-2011, 15:16   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Ah. OK. The one I was removing was the outer one contained in the anode mounting plate.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 15:28   #5

This drive in particular has 3 o-ring seals and the two main ones behind the bearing housing. The upper ones are next on the list but this one is really being a pill. I just need some info on that silly sleeve.

SC

Tags
saildrive, seals, volvo