Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 12:39   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Car engine in sailboat?

I think the OP's long gone, now, but I just wanted to say that we lived with a gasoline Universal Atomic Four in Jim's Yankee 30.

Problems to solve with a marinization include the "blower", the spark proof fan to evacuate any fume accumulation from the boat prior to starting the engine. The ignition system and electrical systems issues have been addressed above.

I agree that the OP's engine does not sound ideally suited to his plan. Might be better to put it in a hot rod and have some fun with it. Or sell it for that purpose.

Ultimately, I think one is better off with diesel for a motor-sailer.

Ann
Old 04-03-2015, 13:27   #47

There are thousands upon thousands of boats out there with gasoline engines. It is silly to ignore that fact. Agreed that a standard car engine is not marinized and the cost effectiveness of properly marinizing a used engine would be prohibitive. But to say there is no such thing as gas engines or automobile engines in boats is simply ridiculous.

Mercruiser starts with the same GM block as GM does.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 13:39   #48

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

The garden shed could have used the front wheel drive motor & 4 speed trans. That way it could have climbed over the waves faster than 2 knots ? That my friends, sounds like a plan to me .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 13:39   #49

Boat: challenger 32 '
Please don't try to prove anyone wrong.get a nice marine engine way less HEADACHES.
Dollydagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 13:53   #50

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Mods please move this to the joke forum I think it was posted here by accident.......

Now to answer the question on the slimmest of chances that it is actually a real question.

No!

Even if you could get it mounted and working which will need lots of custom fabrication. Like previously mentioned the starter does not have spark preventers and the ignition system wont like salt water. Most importantly the engine isnt designed to withstand the torque needed at the rpms needed to propel a boat without grenading. Even chevy 350s which are almost identical to mercruiser 5.7L wont work because they arent built to take that kind of beating. Same overall design, made by the same company, but definitely not boat worthy.
It is a Chevy truck engine with a four bolt the main. Fine for a go fast boat. I am in no way endorsing his idea.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 14:50   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Besides the problem with gasoline vapors being potentially deadly, car engines are not designed to be run at 70%, 80%, 90% of maximum load continuously. Marine engines are designed for this continuous high load....which is typical use for a marine engine.
Other than the diesel inboards and gasoline outboards you may be familiar with, thousands of boats are on the water with marinized automotive engines, typically GM blocks that have been modified by Volvo or Mercruiser to become "marine engines". Think Sea Ray, Bayliner, Maxim and dozens of other brands.

Safe if the instructions are followed and pretty reliable at near full throttle.
Old 04-03-2015, 14:52   #52

Boat: Daydream 28
Thumbs up Re: Car engine in sailboat?

I am A little angry at the nae sayers. You can put Petrol engines in boats.
Half a century ago there was no choice! 'Hartley Boats' has a manual for marine conversions.
The nae sayers are right in that gasoline vapours are explosive, so, you need to ventilate the whole boat very well. A morris minor engine would struggle to handle your proposed boat but the engine you have in mind will do it easily. The starter motor, ignition leads etc., must be protected as much as possible. CRC or WD 40 should be sprayed regularly. Finally, Hundreds of motor sailors had petrol engines and only a small percentage exploded. Usually because of accumulated petrol fumes.
Twilight 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 14:53   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
The garden shed could have used the front wheel drive motor & 4 speed trans. That way it could have climbed over the waves faster than 2 knots ? That my friends, sounds like a plan to me .
Could have left the half shafts in and added paddle wheels...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 14:59   #54

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight 2 View Post
I am A little angry at the nae sayers. You can put Petrol engines in boats.
Half a century ago there was no choice! 'Hartley Boats' has a manual for marine conversions.
The nae sayers are right in that gasoline vapours are explosive, so, you need to ventilate the whole boat very well. A morris minor engine would struggle to handle your proposed boat but the engine you have in mind will do it easily. The starter motor, ignition leads etc., must be protected as much as possible. CRC or WD 40 should be sprayed regularly. Finally, Hundreds of motor sailors had petrol engines and only a small percentage exploded. Usually because of accumulated petrol fumes.
If this is your only post and your already angry I'd suggest you need to read less on CF.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 15:07   #55

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

The OP has abandoned the idea. Enough said. Lets not beat a dead horse.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 15:08   #56

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Many an old Ford 300 6 cylinder engine was ripped out of a rusted hulk to push a duck boat in south Louisiana.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 04-03-2015, 15:12   #57

I suspect there are a lot of AS people who follow CF, because whenever an OP posts a quite specific post, there are quite a number that seem to ignore the OP's post and go off on adding context that was never there in the first place.

"A text without a context is a pretext."

Everyone who is referring to professionally marinised vessels with gasoline engines have moved far away from the OP's question. It takes a very informed person, to convert a common auto gasoline engine and safely put it in a sail boat, in a confined place and if the OP is that skillful, then he wouldn't be asking on here.

Thankfully he gave up on the idea on the first page of this thread.

I personally would not have even a professionally marinised petrol engine. There is a reason authorities in Australia discourage petrol engines in enclosed spaces which have been clearly identified as fire hazards. In addition, the cost of fuel alone should be enough to discourage their use, if the dangers don't.
Old 04-03-2015, 15:23   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

A guy who gets a free abandoned hull and bodges a car engine into it, makes sails out of old tarps and goes cruising for $12 is an inspiration.

When he blows himself up, sinks and is lost at sea he becomes a warning...

Either way he is useful to the community.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 15:24   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
A guy who gets a free abandoned hull and bodges a car engine into it, makes sails out of old tarps and goes cruising for $12 is an inspiration.

When he blows himself up, sinks and is lost at sea he becomes a warning...

Either way he is useful to the community.
I like that.
Old 04-03-2015, 15:26   #60

weinie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, sail, sailboat