Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2011, 18:19   #1

Boat: Young Sun 43
Send a message via Yahoo to plottie Send a message via Skype™ to plottie
Capilano Hydraulic Helm - Ball-and-Spring Pressure Release System

Hi there
We have an old Capilano hydraulic helm, model 1021 which we can't find info for online anywhere. It has been pressure tested / serviced but they were not familiar with it and didn't touch the pressure releases - the two screws and lever in the centre of pic attached. We undid the screws and they hold down a spring onto a ball bearing which is a bit gunky.. Does anyone know about / got one like ours without the new 'inbuilt pressure release'? How is best to clean out the ball and gunk?

Our steering is still drifting, the teleflex steering cylinder has been refurbished and bench tested, the copper pipes joints have been resealed, after we used a cottonbud to remove some gunk it seemed to improve slightly - any ideas gratefully received !

Cheers
Heather & Neil
Old 22-07-2011, 18:25   #2

Picture now attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2061548493.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	29845  
Old 22-07-2011, 18:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Capilano hydraulic helm - ball & spring pressure release system

I think Teleflex bought out Capilano so maybe if you emailed them they would be able to help you.

info@teleflex.bc.ca
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 19:32   #4

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

I don't know the Capitalino manual hydraulic pump. I have a Wagner pump and what you describe appears to be the check valve. It has a small steel ball and spring at each end and installs some friction and feel to the wheel, holding a bit of pressure for the current helm setting. The balls or their seats can become corroded and even a bit will allow fluid to bypass the ball held off it's seat by such crude.

I've had a this problem, and before finding a bit larger ball for one end, steering would drift 5 degrees in 10 seconds without correction. You'll need a brave (ok, even tho' I don't have a pump blow up and can't get parts) hydraulic man to clean, scour, and match balls for the check valve I think, but that is just my current understanding of my own problem. My problem, after putting a 11mm ball in a 10mm seat, is that there is no more drift but a bit of wheel bind and resistance still. Good luck.
Old 22-07-2011, 19:37   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I'm not sure this will help you or not.

Flushing Hydraulic Systems
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 03:42   #6

Wow, thanks for your thoughts. I can now go back to Teleflex with more specifics, our original request was perhaps vague to them as they wouldn't provide details of an internal plan...
Speakeasy - we hear you! Exactly the same scenario and reassuring at the same time, thank you. How did you get the ball out to upsize? Ours are topside and a capsize seems extreme...
Old 23-07-2011, 08:29   #7

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: Capilano Hydraulic Helm - Ball-and-Spring Pressure Release System

My check valve runs horizontally on the pump. I took the pump out of the pedestal and to a hydraulic shop in Guaymas, as the marina guys wereno help. I watched him pull it using a pair of ring pliers

to pull out the locking ring on either side, then IIRC tapped out or pulled out a small piston that held the spring and ball. Couldn't find a 10mm ball anywhere unless I order 2000 of them from Hermasillo so I scrounged around various mechanics shop till I came up with one for a stop gap.

However, if your steering is wandering consistently, I suspect you have a blown seal in one end of your steering ram, I did and it wasn't apparent to me when I inspected it. The wagner factory rep nailed that when I first emailed him. That was the main cause of my drift, but wasn't what caused the stiff helm. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Jon
Old 23-07-2011, 09:02   #8

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Capilano Hydraulic Helm - Ball-and-Spring Pressure Release System

I've been going through the other end of my Teleflex/Capilano system this week. In reading the manual the main thing that they emphasized was cleanliness & cleanliness. They described a situation exactly like yours and attributed it to a dirty check valve. I called Teleflex in BC, Canada and they were what you would hope any company's customer service department would be. They gave me part numbers and told me where to get them (any West Marine) and they asked me to PLEASE call them back if I had ANY problems getting or installing the parts.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Capilano Hydraulic Helm - Ball-and-Spring Pressure Release System

This is the exact same system I have on my boat.. did you manage to get the parts okay.. how hard was it to sort out.
Have decided to do the work myself now the hand is working again..
Do not trust the to young guys who sent me off with a 'Claimed Okay' helm that failed 5 miles out.. had it lasted a day I'd have been in deep **** halfway between Sardinia and the Ballearics..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Capilano Hydraulic Helm - Ball-and-Spring Pressure Release System

PS; Email sent to UK agents in the UK.. will see what comes back.. however as I'm headed to Miami in the near future and parts are available there will do my shopping in West Marine if the info comes back in time.
YAAAY

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote