Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 07:09   #76

Re: Can you get Pressure in Oil Tank?

Thanks, pbiJim. I will continue to monitor the oil. I am going to find out if they have rechecked the compression in that cylinder post-fix so at least I can be fairly certain that the injector pump is the cause of the making oil if that is still happening. If there was no compression due to valve open, I am not sure how fuel could get by seals on piston unless the cylinder just filled with fuel and that opening at the valve was just so small that it would not let all the fuel out. Seems like that would damage the piston though so that is probably not it either...

Does anyone think there is a chance that the engine is no longer making oil (I.e. any way this valve issue could cause diesel in oil sump). It's winter so I was not planning on taking the boat out until spring but I don't want to spend another couple months in the spring doing engine work again either. It seems like every time we have fixed something, something else has popped up. I continue to be worried until I hear a feasible scenario that explains all the symptoms I had.

If there is any positive here, at least this is making me understand more how a diesel engine works.
cheslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:34   #77

Re: Can you get pressure in oil tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheslr View Post
Cheechako, why do you ask about water in the cylinder? Does this cause Alvie's to be stuck open?
Only because after some thought, my mechanic and I thought that maybe I had gotten water in the low cylinder.... just enough to bend the push rod when the engine was started.
That engine was "making oil" due to the same cylinder having an injector that was squirting not spraying. Amazing how fast the diesel adds up from that. I probably made 1.5 quarts in the crankcase in a 6-8 hour motoring. That boat had sat for some time also. We made a custom exhaust elbow/riser when we fixed the injector. The compression was way down in that cylinder... we figured the continual diesel washing had glazed the cylinder. But once corrected the compression came fully back after a couple hours motoring.

What Gjordan and PBiJim said makes perfect sense... boat not used, valve stuck in one position... etc..

"Does anyone think there is a chance that the engine is no longer making oil (I.e. any way this valve issue could cause diesel in oil sump)."
I think your odds are pretty good that the engine is fine now... based on the above I wrote...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44   #78

Re: Can you get Pressure in Oil Tank?

We had a squirting injector in that cylinder as well from what I was told, so sounds like it is all feasible. Sounds like time will tell. Thanks for the peace of mind!
cheslr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil