Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2018, 07:46   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: The boat: Cowes (Winter), Above 60N (Summer); me: somewhere in the air!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Can I Turbo a Stock Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Pilatus is a wonderful airplane, Iíd rather have one than a King Air myself, and if I had that kind of money, itís the airplane Iíd want as it has great short field capability.
The Diamond Diesels are horrible airplanes in my opinion, slow and no useful load and two engines to fail, Iíd much rather have a Cessna 210 myself, their only use to is get a twin engine rating, something I never did, cause I knew Iíd likely never own a twin.

Best thing to do in my opinion is to set aside a couple of months to get your private in a C-152 or a C-172. Now the trick is to take is seriously and work at it to get it done, you have to fly three or more times a week.
Most people never finish, they fly every now and again and mostly rehash what they have forgotten to get back to a basic level but donít progress, and eventually give up.
I had a rich Uncle pay for my ticket and of course it was my job to learn.
Most Civilians donít take it seriously, it to them is recreation and not work, so they never finish. You need to consider it like a College course, go in knowing that itís work, and sometimes itís not always fun, it is rewarding though, just training if itís good, may not always be entertaining.

Most of my Civilian flying so did myself was a little bush plane, a Maule.
This was it years ago camping at Sun-N-FunAttachment 162431
Thanks for this. I've been reading about since I was a child and have a pretty good idea about what it takes to get a license. I know would enjoy it enormously. What stops me is that I know that the large amount of time it would take to do it properly, would come straight out of my time for sailing. I just haven't been willing to do that. By the time I'm too feeble to sail, I'll be too feeble to fly, unfortunately.

Old 17-01-2018, 08:12   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Can I Turbo a Stock Diesel?

Guy who wrote this book is a very good friend of mine and mentor.
Many years ago he had pancreatic cancer, and survived. He got his Doctorate at the German university that the Horton brothers taught at or maybe attended Iím not sure.
Anyway Ralph has had a hip replacement and is in his 80ís and I used to help him get into the airplane, but he can still fly, and fly very well. He still has several aircraft of his own and with his Doctorate and his Flt test DER pretty much what Ralph says, the FAA buys.
If you can walk and have a clear mind, you can fly. It takes a lot less physical ability than sailing does. I will probably return to aviation when Iím to old to cruise. I still have my A&P but will let my IA lapse as I wonít be able to keep up with the yearly recurring education / experience, but will keep my Commercial licenses, they are good unless surrendered or revoked.
Also I think this year the flt physical requirement for a Private Pilot was relaxed a lot, but donít know enough to comment, it used to be a big hassle, more than it should have been.
https://www.abebooks.com/book-search...lph-kimberlin/

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 08:19   #63

Boat: Liberty 458

Sure. But what is the issue you have?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 08:29   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: The boat: Cowes (Winter), Above 60N (Summer); me: somewhere in the air!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Guy who wrote this book is a very good friend of mine and mentor.
Many years ago he had pancreatic cancer, and survived. He got his Doctorate at the German university that the Horton brothers taught at or maybe attended Iím not sure.
Anyway Ralph has had a hip replacement and is in his 80ís and I used to help him get into the airplane, but he can still fly, and fly very well. He still has several aircraft of his own and with his Doctorate and his Flt test DER pretty much what Ralph says, the FAA buys.
If you can walk and have a clear mind, you can fly. It takes a lot less physical ability than sailing does. I will probably return to aviation when Iím to old to cruise. I still have my A&P but will let my IA lapse as I wonít be able to keep up with the yearly recurring education / experience, but will keep my Commercial licenses, they are good unless surrendered or revoked.
Also I think this year the flt physical requirement for a Private Pilot was relaxed a lot, but donít know enough to comment, it used to be a big hassle, more than it should have been.
https://www.abebooks.com/book-search...lph-kimberlin/
Thank you! That's inspiring. I sure don't want to think about being "too old to cruise"; my Dad only quit sailing when he was 87 and I've got a few decades to go before that age. But God knows what life will bring. Maybe some day I might even retire, although I don't really plan on doing that.
Old 17-01-2018, 08:33   #65

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2557129]This airplane, my design, an Experimental design at the time and had a Walter M701 turbine in it he GE so I would push the N1 speed to max continuous which was 101.5% and leave it there.

I'm surprised to hear you designed the Turbine Thrush. Leland Snow and Fred Ayres would wonder too.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 11:00   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can I Turbo a Stock Diesel?

No, I didnít design the Turbine Thrush, it was designed in California by an STC house, Serv-Aero I think. Leyland and Fred had nothing to do with it. But I did the H-80, or led the team that did, nothing is really a one man design.
Some comparison numbers gross weight of the T-34, 6000 lbs, gross weight of the H-80 10,500 lbs, VNE of the 34,160, VNE of the 80,186.
Flap speed of the H-80 is VNE for the -34. Many parts are the same, but useful load, speeds and maneuvering limits are hugely expanded as well as CG limits, and the H-80 is about 200 lbs lighter, and 200 lbs is huge. The H-80 as a single cockpit comes in slightly under 5,000 lbs, but has a gross weight of 10,500 lbs, which means it has a useful load more than its empty weight. Useful load of around 5500 lbs, the -34 had a legal useful load of less than 1,000 lbs, although of course it was always flown at the max weight it could get off the ground with, which is much higher.

The H-80 is of course the continual evolution of the Thrush, but itís so much of a clean sheet design that it has its own type certificate as opposed to a change to an existing type certificate which is usually what is done and what we did to build the 550, which I wonít take credit for, the 550 is actually an S2R-T34HG or an S2R-T65 HG depending on engine, we even modified the type certificate so that the S2R-T65 could have either a Honeywell -10 engine or a Pratt -60, but cannot have the -65 for which itís named.

Leyland didnít design the Thrush, North American Rockwell did, but Leyland did design the S2D. North American Rockwell at the time was designing the Apollo space Capsule and had designed the X-15 and of course the P-51 and others, Rockwell had tremendous Engineering assets.
Any S2R is a Rockwell design. Iím trying to remember the name of the the Engineer that was more the actual Father of the Thrush than anyone, he was in a wheelchair when I met him. He was an Engineer, Structural DER and Flight test DER, a virtual one man band. Bothers me I canít remember his name a he was a heck of a guy, but Iím terrible with names. It will come to me eventually.
Fred didnít design anything, Fred is a businessman, he bought the STC to put a turbine on the Thrush and eventually got it Certified after he bought the factory, until then he built Radials, pushed them across the airport and applied the STC. Not to take anything away from Fred, he was a good pilot I have heard and started flying Ag before I was born in a cub in Alabama I think, he was a smart business guy, maybe too smart.
Fred is a Fred, an interesting little guy, he is still around and sells insurence.
Old 17-01-2018, 12:22   #67

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2557537]No, I didnít design the Turbine Thrush, it was designed in California by an STC house, Serv-Aero I think. Leyland and Fred had nothing to do with it. But I did the H-80, or led the team that did, nothing is really a one man design.
Leyland didnít design the Thrush, North American Rockwell did, but Leyland did design the S2.

Sorry for the thread drift folks; Leland ran the ag plane division at Rockwel, so he would be surprised of your taking credit for the turbine Thrush. If he was still alive that is. Fred may have sold more Thrush's than anyone so he too might wonder who you are.
Ecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 13:44   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Leyland passed a year or two ago, went like I would like to, had a heart attack while out running I think, but he went suddenly and was in good health and had a bright mind and then he was gone. He had lost his Son in law to an accident in an 802 and I think that weighed heavily on him. No he didnít run the Albany plant, in fact he was asked to leave to put it nicely. He left, went back to Tx, started Air Tractor and did very, very well and Iím sure didnít miss Albany Ga at all. Rockwell continued to ďplayĒ with little airplanes like the 112, 114 etc. didnít do very well at it and sold the plant and the Type Certificates for the Thrush line to Fred, and Fred bought the STC for the turbine conversion, began manufacturing the first factory built turbine Ag plane and did very well himself, then got in over his head with the FedEx contract for the Loadmaster and lost the plant.
Trivia but Thrush holds the Type Certificates for the original Snowís as Leyland had sold everything to Rockwell and it passed to Fred.

Tags
diesel