Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 19:48   #1

Boat: Cal 35 MkII
Cal 35 Raw Water Intake Valve

Anyone familiar with the raw water seacock on a 1983 Cal 35. The thru-hull goes to a valve and then there is a Y just before to barbed fitting for the hose that feeds the water pump">Raw Water pump. The Y looks to be adjustable and/or have a moveable valve body but has no knob or handle. Is this a strainer? There is no in line strainer on this raw water feed. Thanks if you have seen it before. Maybe flow regulator? or some kind of insertion filter that slide into the Y and enters the pipe before the hose connection? It doe not appear to have ever been adjusted or opened up for maintenance.

Thanks for any help you may have.
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 21:47   #2

Re: Cal 35 Raw Water Intake Valve

I am only guessing at this, but if you have a Y valve (or what appears to be a valve) on the intake that appears to go to nowhere, it may have been an earlier attempt at using the engine as a bilge pump in an emergency situation. A diesel at cruise RPM puts out a reasonable amount of water through the exhaust, and if you have a major leak into your boat it is possible(with the correct plumbing) to turn off your through hull, and open a second valve, and help pump your bilge. Again, this is a guess, if that is the plumbing that you have. There have been several threads on CF about this. Maybe this is a help? _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 01:26   #3

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Hey Westy, it is nice to hear from someone else who owns a 83 cal 35. There are surprisingly few of us. I don't have this intake config on my boat so it must have been custom from a previous owner of your boat. Can you post a pic?
Old 14-09-2013, 14:17   #4

Westy, you might think very hard about putting a raw water filter on your intake. I have been in waters where I had to clean the eel grass out if my filter every 1/2 hour. If it had gone into the raw water pump, it could have taken much, much, more time to clean. If you place the filter/strainer just above the waterline, you can do a fast clean without even closing the seacock. On the West Coast I have gotten caught in the Tuna Crabs (tiny red shrimp) that can completely plug up a cooling system. They have been known to stop up freighters. Look in West Marine or some other catalog for pictures and prices. ____Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 16:14   #5

Could be source for another raw water need , such as salt water to sinks , watermaker , air cond .,. If it is a emergency pump suction it would need a shut off down stream so as to create suction in bilge .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, raw water, water