Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 12:04   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Buying a boat that has been sitting for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike quinn View Post
It sure is nice to get all this good advice. It reminds me when I was living aboard in FLA 30 years ago and every night all the boaters would come and sit on their dock boxes and swap all their problems and adventures they had that day. That was before the computer revolution. I am slowly getting used to this new way of chatting. More people more info but I still miss that salt wind in my hair and all the friendly faces. Thanks for the advice
I was once in a community like that in Pearl Harbor. Great living. Like a commune of boatowners with military backgrounds. Wonderful learning experience. That was a little over 30 years ago too and the place has been bulldozed for years thanks to Captain Peter Long. A real shame.
Old 06-01-2014, 13:08   #17

HappyMdrsailor, I agree that proper servicing of the water pump">raw water pump was mentioned, but many people dont realize that that should include the actual removal of the impeller if the engine wont be turned for several months (or years). If the motor has sat with the impeller in it, the impeller should be trashed to avoid having a failure sometime after start up. Servicing means different things to different people. Just trying to make things clearer for the OP. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 13:19   #18

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

..or the impeller was removed when storing then boat and no one remembers. Replace the impeller: cheap insurance, plus you learn how to do it. Great advice here, bet it runs just fine.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 13:47   #19
cruiser

Could you do any of this pre purchase? If it turns out to not run it would change the price for sure. That's unless your already at a rock bottom good deal. Sometimes the out of state seller who sends you to poke it over is a nice plus. If that's not a option, tell him condition unknown you want a chunk off as motor replacement is a possibility.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:46   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
HappyMdrsailor, I agree that proper servicing of the raw water pump was mentioned, but many people dont realize that that should include the actual removal of the impeller if the engine wont be turned for several months (or years). If the motor has sat with the impeller in it, the impeller should be trashed to avoid having a failure sometime after start up. Servicing means different things to different people. Just trying to make things clearer for the OP. ______Grant.
Agreed.... "servicing" may be different to different people...

Not sure "what else" there is to do with the pump cover off .... Take a picture????

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 15:00   #21

It is a good idea to hang a tag or note that cant be missed. Some engines have the raw water pump in an almost invisible spot(thinking of old Volvos) that make an oversight easier. A note is a bit like people that close their raw water seacock whenever they leave the boat. Some have the habit of hanging the starting key on the seacock so they cant forget to open it. Sometimes we all need a small crutch to help remember things. Isnt old age wonderful???? ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 11:29   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
A lot also depends on how it was "Winterized" and where it was stored...

As a condition of sale you could save yourself a lot of trouble by asking for an Engine Survey by a reputable mechanic.
I completely agree with you. That's the best thing to do.
tankcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 11:33   #23
Marine Service Provider

It is always best to consult a reputable mechanic. Engine Survey than sorry.
tankcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying