Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 07:19   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Question Broken Bits

It appears our lil' engine that could suffered some trauma on the trip up from Rhode Island.

I'm guessing this is the temperature sender? Anybody know of a download for a parts listing for a 4JH-TE?

And I snapped off this part when I was draining the water from the engine. It just crumbled. It's the cooling water inlet into the mixing elbow. Any idea how to get the remnants out without destroying the elbow? They're expensive to replace ($1300 US)

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Take your time and pick at it with something hard and sharp. Follow with a wire brush to get the rest of the corrosion out but don't use a steel one. Clean the threads and use antiseize when ya put it back together.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I don’t recall seeing a Parts manual, but here’s a little info:

Here’s the SERVICE MANUAL for the Yanmar 4JH Series (4JHE, 4JH-TE, 4JH-HTE, & 4JH-DTE)
http://sagaforumet.com/yanmar-manual/4JHE/manual.pdf

or
http://www.nadagato.com/yanmar-manual/4JHE/manual.pdf

Data/Spec Sheet 4JH-TE
http://www.yanmar.com.au/superseded/...-T%28B%29E.pdf

http://www.yanmar.com.au/superseded/...-T%28B%29E.pdf

Yanmar Parts Quick Referece:
http://www.woodenboatshop.com.au/sit.../QR%202007.pdf

Did you check the On-Line Manuals thread?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:59   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Did you check the On-Line Manuals thread?
Yes Dear!

Would be nice to have, if it exists, a parts list with exploded diagrams etc. Got one for my Volvo Penta. Just wishful thinking maybe.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15   #5

Try a hammer and small sharp chisle from outside towards center almost like your arrow is pointing.you should be able to break a bunch of it loose and maybe be able to get ahold and turn it out.Follow up with thread chaser if ness.
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Have you tried Torrensen Marine? Here's a link to their parts list of the 4JH-TE

Good Old Boat: The sailing magazine for the rest of us=

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:04   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The part #'s maybe the same as the 3 JH. I have a parts breakdown for the 3JH and I can send it to you later when I get home.

I had to beg the dealer to print out the breakdown for me when I bought the motor. Torrensen and others just show part #'s and not breakdowns.

The elbow fitting, I'd just file down the inside until you see threads and then pick out the rest with a sharp scribe and clean up with a pipe tap, 1/4" NPT if I remember right. Brass to aluminum should be reinstalled with teflon tape. The elbow doesn't get hot enough to damage teflon (>600 degrees). I may shoot you a picture as well of the parts On my motor.
....................._/)
Old 11-11-2009, 11:10   #8
cruiser

Take a small Good quality cold chisel and PATIENTLY so not to kill the temper grind it to about a 75 D angle. Don't make it too sharp a point or it will break off. You will discover this for yourself Did I mention cool it cool it frequently?.
Round the back side of said angle to be as easy as possible on the threads. Split it and roll the edge in and grab with chain nose pliers and just roll it up. Wear eye/face protection
Place the new tool you just made in a secure place because you will need it again someday and can show off your prowess to others.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:23   #9
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thnx for all the tips fella's. That's a good link Rich. Stuck that puppy in my favorites.

I'll try the methods described here to get the old pipe out. Was going to go at it with my dremel tool but that'll likely wreck the threads. I'm in no hurry so that job can wait a lil' bit.

Thnx Del. Whenever you get the time. No hurry.

What spares do you recommend for this engine? Starter? Alternator? I know the regular stuff, filters, belts etc.