Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2007, 12:49   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
British Seagull

Aloha all,
I have a very old British Seagull outboard that needs a new impeller (maybe). Does anyone have a source for parts on these engines. I really enjoy them when they run. This one has an old bronze tank so is very cool.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 13:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Seagull Outboard Parts:
British Seagull Outboard Parts - www.seagullparts.co.uk

British Seagull Resources & Links
British Seagull Resources - British Seagulls Links

LIVING WITH A SEAGULL (or Zen and the Art of Seagull Engine Maintenance...)
Zen and the Art of Seagull Engine Maintenance

And your best all-round information resource: Google

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 13:11   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

British Seagull Outboard Motors

These are the fellas who make the parts.

I gotta get quicker with typing!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 13:40   #4

Boat: C&C 27
John,
I thought the impeller was cast. What is it doing or not doing?

These little motors are not my favored dingy pusher but you gotta admit they have character. Mine stays in the laz as a spare.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 16:11   #5

Aloha Pura, Gord, David,
Just started it about two hours ago and no cooling water is coming out of the hole in the bottom of the head. I'm not even certain if that's where the cooling water is supposed to come out but it is kind of disconcerting in that I can't tell whether cooling water is circulating. Haven't had a running Seagull since the early 80s and can't remember much about it other than it was a great little runner.
Will probably take it apart and see what's up.
Thanks for all the input.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 19-02-2007, 16:39   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

This was quite an interesting thread in another place:-

Yachting and Boating World: Seagull Outboards- trusty workhorse or obsolete headache

Seemed to be a few folks who knew their onions (and Seagulls!)
Old 19-02-2007, 16:53   #7

The old Seagull in the laz puts out a lot of water below the powerhead. I can't describe just where. It could just be that something is clogged on yours.

It is understandable that some folks don't like them. They can be noisy and smokey. But with so few moving parts it really is hard too find one that won't run with a little coaxing.

Take it apart and put it back together clean. It ought to start.
regards
pv
Old 19-02-2007, 17:11   #8

David,

Thanks for the link. Just finished reading it and it was a real hoot. Growing up in a garage full of BSAs, Triumphs and Nortons really gave me an affection for the Seagull that most of these guys seem to share. Anyway it did bring to mind the Seagull's greatest drawback, Whitworth fasteners and tools. Nothing wrong wiith them, they are just hard to find around here.
Old 20-02-2007, 12:09   #9

Thanks David,
That led to Seagull "SOS" which gave me a couple of hints as to what to try before taking it apart. I'd like to try that before exploring the interior.

Pura,
I too have ridden my brother's Triumph and my other brother's Matchless and still have a TR4A sitting beside the house. Did you ever mount a Whizzer? Strange question, eh? However, if you knew what a Whizzer was you'd understand. Guess that's why I like the Seagull. Old style fun.
Regards,
JohnL
Old 20-02-2007, 13:00   #10

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Aye, too, loved me ol' Seagull...

... but I did not appreciate the way it always dribbled the contents of the carberator bowl onto the back seat of my dinghy any time I tilted the engine out of the water.

John - the c/w discharge comes out the bottom of the after end of the block through a 1/4 (approx) inch hole. There is no "fitting" - just a hole. The four bladed plastic impeller doesn't even make contact with the housing and rarely break or wear out.

I suspect you may simply have a big fat salt crystal plugging the head.

Try either flushing with warm fresh water, vinegar or you might try back pressuring the cooling system with a rubber tipped air nozzle if you have low pressure shop air available at home or a nearby garage.

Happy hunting.

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 12:48   #11

Aloha Captain Kirk and others,
Thanks for your help so far.
How hot is too hot? I got a bit of dribble coming out the puka (hole) in the back of the block after air pressure, hosing, etc. When the engine is running it is too hot to keep your hand under the dribble.
Thanks for all your help with my Ole Seagull. Got it running yesterday again after a new plug and a solder job on the plug wire. I'll be experimenting with plug gap settings. Just now I have it at 33 because the book says 35 for electronic ignition or 20 for point ignition. It was hard to start so I believe I need to adjust the gap a bit.
Any recommendations?
Really love the engine. The Seagull I had in the 80s was the one I towed another boat (dinghy) up the Hanalei River up past the bridge and then we sailed down the river. There were 4 tenders in our armada. All 6-8 footers. What a great time.
Doesn't get any better than that!!
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 26-02-2007, 13:48   #12
Eternal Member

Some years back I was a sailing instructor at a school on San Francisco Bay which had 20 boats of different sizes. Most of them were equipped with British Seagull outboards.

I quickly learned from other instructors, and was able to pass on to my students, the secret of guaranteed Seagull starting. There are five steps:

1. Open the vent on the tank
2. Close the choke
3. Set the throttle to starting position
4. Open the gas valve
5. Wind the starter rope around and give a strong pull

If you do these faithfully, the engines would start for you every time.

However, god forbid if you missed one of them, because the damned things would then NEVER start until you had exhausted every curse word in your vocabulary, tore a muscle or two, and threatened to throw the cursed thing overboard.

I have one, too, in my basement now. Great condition. Museum piece. Lots of affection for it. But I don't think it's likely to replace the Yamaha on my dingy anytime soon :-)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 14:00   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors
I have one, too, in my basement now. Great condition. Museum piece. Lots of affection for it. But I don't think it's likely to replace the Yamaha on my dingy anytime soon :-)

Bill
I don't have one (I remember my father's when I was a kid and the "fun" involved ) - but I won't say I will never get one, just not by active choice........in 50 years time I doubt very much if anyone will be having the same conversations about a Japanese 2 stroke outboard.......

Some "things" do have souls.
Old 26-02-2007, 18:21   #14

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
I had the same problem with my seagull (which is a great engine). I used a hose and blasted water into the block and then into the water intake. Repeat this over and over for about a half hour and see if water starts to flow between the two holes. If it doesn't you might have to take it apart.

Good luck (Don't wake up the anchorage with your seagull!)
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 19:43   #15

Aloha Flak Bait,
I have an antique Super Supreme 5hp Gale that is louder than the Seagull if you can imagine. That's why I really like these old ones. My newer 4hp Johnson just doesn't sound near as good.
Good hints about the cooling. I suppose if it runs too hot it will just plain quit when the cylinder head expands too much to have good compression. If it is spitting water it is at least getting a bit of cooling.
Kind Regards,
JohnL