Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 09:41   #1
Registered User
 
callistov42's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seabrook, Texas
Boat: Vagabond 42
Posts: 169
Brand New Yanmar 4JH-5E Smoking

Just repowered my boat with a new Yanmar 4JH-5E. The engine is not broken in yet. It only has 3 hours on it now. It is smoking heavily. White smoke, not blue smoke. My mechanic says that it is fuel, not oil. He says that the engine needs to be run and the rings need to settle in so the compression will go up and burn the fuel better. I am going to take it out for four or five hours this weekend to run the engine under load. Does the smoking seem right?
__________________

__________________
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:21   #2
Registered User
 
CDunc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
Posts: 141
Callistov,

Your mechanic is correct, white smoke is the sign of unburned fuel. I would continue with the break in and if it continues I would suspect the injectors as being inproperly adjusted (injecting fuel to early) an easy fix, or clogged (resulting in a bad spray pattern) clean or replace injectors. In the extream I would check the injector timing (this is adjusted by rotating the high pressure pump in relationship to the pistons position before Top Dead Center). Checking the timing is a lot different than on a gas engine so have a qualified mechanic do that for you. But for the most part I would do as your mechanic recommends and let it properly break in. I hope this helps
__________________

__________________
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:58   #3
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDunc View Post
Callistov,

Your mechanic is correct, white smoke is the sign of unburned fuel. I would continue with the break in and if it continues I would suspect the injectors as being inproperly adjusted (injecting fuel to early) an easy fix, or clogged (resulting in a bad spray pattern) clean or replace injectors. In the extream I would check the injector timing (this is adjusted by rotating the high pressure pump in relationship to the pistons position before Top Dead Center). Checking the timing is a lot different than on a gas engine so have a qualified mechanic do that for you. But for the most part I would do as your mechanic recommends and let it properly break in. I hope this helps
In a brand new engine????
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:02   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Boat: N/M 45
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
Just repowered my boat with a new Yanmar 4JH-5E. The engine is not broken in yet. It only has 3 hours on it now. It is smoking heavily. White smoke, not blue smoke. My mechanic says that it is fuel, not oil. He says that the engine needs to be run and the rings need to settle in so the compression will go up and burn the fuel better. I am going to take it out for four or five hours this weekend to run the engine under load. Does the smoking seem right?
I am also going through the brand new 4JH-5E break-in (I have two hours on the motor, started Monday late afternoon), and am not having any problems with the motor - it's burning well with a clean exhaust. I'm running the motor at 2600 rpm (recommendation from Yanmar was 4-500 RPM under wide open throttle, which is supposed to be 3000 RPM). Yanmar wants this to be done for 10 hours before doing much else with the motor. Most importantly, do not run the engine at idle or low load.

Has your motor run under load during your 3 hours? If not, as per prior post, run the motor under load to seat the moving parts - compression should then go up and the fuel should burn better.

Below is my quicky cheat sheet for diesel exhaust color (stolen from here http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-smoke.php):

I sure hope your motor comes up nicely; it's been a rather expensive three month job on my end to get this far and I'm super happy that all is going well.

- rob/beetle

Black Smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :
  • Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)
  • Faulty injector pump
  • Dirty air cleaner
  • Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
  • Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)
White Smoke

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.
  • Engine/pump timing out
  • Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
  • Low engine compression
  • Water/petrol in the fuel
Blue Smoke

The engine is burning engine oil
  • Worn cylinders or piston rings
  • Faulty valves or valve stem seals
  • Engine over full with engine oil
  • Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel
__________________
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:26   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 153
Brand New Engines ( according to my yanmar dealer )are run at the factory prior to shipment...... Ring seating does not cause white smoke unless your compression is so far down its not combusting.
I would walk away from that boat and get the mechanic down there and have him continue his break in process. Otherwise your gonna be blamed for not breaking it in properly
__________________
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:32   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Francisco
Boat: N/M 45
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
Brand New Engines ( according to my yanmar dealer )are run at the factory prior to shipment......
Are the motors run-in at the factory, or simply test-run to verify the entire engine works? My Yanmar owner's/operation manual is quite explicit about how to break-in the motor and it clearly states that a new motor needs to be run-in for the first 10 hours, with a slightly different RPM range for the next 40 hours, followed by the oil change to get the newly-worn metal out of the motor.

- rob/beetle
__________________
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:44   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 153
Fired up ,ran ,timing ,valving made sure to be adjusted correctly.valve seats set,no leaks in gaskets etc. Definitely not run for the break in period
__________________
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:50   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,848
Broken in or not It should not be smoking something is wrong I would be yelling at yanmar
__________________

__________________
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
yanmar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blown Head Gasket on Yanmar 4JH ? Conch Cruzer Engines and Propulsion Systems 11 13-11-2011 23:36
Yanmar 4JH 3E Lifespan loowigi Engines and Propulsion Systems 16 22-07-2010 06:58
Sudden Onset Black Smoke - Yanmar 4JH-DTE Microship Engines and Propulsion Systems 30 13-07-2009 18:42
hydraulic PTO on Yanmar 4JH-TE - how difficult will this be? Sterling Engines and Propulsion Systems 0 28-10-2008 07:44
Calling Pat....Yanmar 4JH front seal.... Chief Engineer Engines and Propulsion Systems 8 07-05-2008 18:27



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.