Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 15:06   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Bottom end rebuild reasons

I have a 1973 Prout Snowgoose 35 with the original Volvo Penta MD2B and much as I hate to give up on it, various issues mean it’s time for it to go so have been looking for a modern but used replacement.

I have found a 20hp Beta that the ad says sat for 7 years and was then replaced as it wouldn’t start. The company that is selling it traced that to a stick fuel pump but then say they have changed main and big end bearings, re-lapped valves and seats and rebuilt with all new gaskets.

Thing is, I know just enough about engines to know what all the bits are but have no idea why you would need to change all that just because an engine sat unused. A google search gives many possibles like oil pressure issues etc but all automotive specific so thought I’d ask those in the know on here. Does this engine sound like a possible option or a horror story? Thanks
Pugcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 15:16   #2

Re: Bottom end rebuild reasons

So they are selling it as a running unit? You can see her start, run, with guages hooked up?
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 15:44   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Any chance you can see the OVHL invoice? What about piston rings? If they re-used the old ones, it will not break in. Lapping valves might mean nothing long term as it's not a proper valve seat, just something done to stop it from leaking right then.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 15:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

It would suggest it had low oil pressure if they did that work. Also must have been well worn to need new mains & big-ends. Just sitting wouldnt cause it to need those unless it had contaminated oil. As previously said best to see it running with gauges hooked up & take someone with you that knows diesels. Impossible to say if it's a horror or not without inspection. Is their any guarantee?
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 16:18   #5

Thanks for your replies, yes definitely sold as a runner and I would think I could go and see it running but as for gauges I think these Betas only have a rev counter plus oil and temp warning lights rather than actual gauges for those things.

Here’s the actual wording of the ad in case it sheds any more light:

“This engine was taken as a part exchange and was removed because it failed to start after a long period of sitting idle (around 7 years). This was later found to be a stuck fuel pump.

It was stripped down at our workshops and has had new big end bearings, cylinders honed, valves lapped and reassembled with a new gasket set. It has also been upgraded with the later type flat drive belt kit and a higher output alternator.”

I will call them this week to ask for more details but really appreciate the insight from members here to see if it’s worth a serious look.
Old 02-12-2018, 16:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Examine it carefully to make sure the gaskets are new. See if you can find out anything about the workshop that did the work. It could be fine & they are just careful but it's not unknown for engines to be sold as reconditioned that haven't been or been done badly so you are right to be wary.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:36   #7

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Hi.engines dont come out of boats for no reason.insist on hearing it start from cold.if its already running when you get there walk away.dont take anyones word for anything.shame about the volvo.i had an md2.vol o stopped doing spares years ago making them obsolete.a shame
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:51   #8

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Perhaps it sat and wasn't properly prepared for sitting. Maybe some parts had rust.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:28   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

It all sounds reasonable; engine sat for 7 years, they disassembled it to hone the cylinders, since they're in there, rods and mains are cheap, why not change them too? I'd hope they'd have put in new rings while they were at it, and would ask to make sure.

What are they asking for it? Is there a warranty?

Good advice to hear it start from absolutely cold, do not let them bamboozle you on that regard. It's very simple and cheap to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge; I always do it if I'm selling an engine to someone, just so we're all on the same page --- I'd think an honest shop wouldn't have any problem doing likewise.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 13:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
It all sounds reasonable; engine sat for 7 years, they disassembled it to hone the cylinders, since they're in there, rods and mains are cheap, why not change them too? I'd hope they'd have put in new rings while they were at it, and would ask to make sure.

Good advice to hear it start from absolutely cold, do not let them bamboozle you on that regard. It's very simple and cheap to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge; I always do it if I'm selling an engine to someone, just so we're all on the same page --- I'd think an honest shop wouldn't have any problem doing likewise.
Just wanted to say I doubt rods & mains for Volvo are cheap as they are like Yanmar. Our 8hp Yanmar flanged main bearing is US 500+ .
However I agree it would be best practice if stripped down.
Old 03-12-2018, 14:01   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

Whoops sorry I jumped the gun there jimbunyard, he's talking about a Beta so should be reasonably priced for bearings
Old 03-12-2018, 14:44   #12

Boat: Casacde 36

I'd take a chance on it, at the right price, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they could show me the old parts they replaced. That way, I could tell if the rings had the chrome worn off (which tells me the cylinder liner condition) and the condition of the old shells will tell me a lot about the crank journals. Valves just lapped, or did they re-cut the seats? If just lapped, they probably did a de-carb job and cleaned things up; not a bad thing. If you have a diesel mechanic friend who can take a look that'd be a good idea.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 17:00   #13

Boat: Sirocco30

Suggest u check suitability : Volvo operating rpm is much slower than the Bets, and you will probably have to change your prop with this exchange.
In addition, suggest u check direction if rotation. Also from memory I think the exhaust elbow is on the opposite side.
I have 2 old volvos: MD 7a with saildrive and MD 2A with conventional shaft.
U can still get full gasket set for either from a Vo in England for less than €150: will worth stripping and rebuilding Volvo: bring injectors to a truck injection service - they can clean and recalibrate for €100 or so!
Manuals are available on the web.
Good luck with your resolution
epatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 20:31   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugcat View Post
Thanks for your replies, yes definitely sold as a runner and I would think I could go and see it running but as for gauges I think these Betas only have a rev counter plus oil and temp warning lights rather than actual gauges for those things.

Here’s the actual wording of the ad in case it sheds any more light:

“This engine was taken as a part exchange and was removed because it failed to start after a long period of sitting idle (around 7 years). This was later found to be a stuck fuel pump.

It was stripped down at our workshops and has had new big end bearings, cylinders honed, valves lapped and reassembled with a new gasket set. It has also been upgraded with the later type flat drive belt kit and a higher output alternator.”

I will call them this week to ask for more details but really appreciate the insight from members here to see if it’s worth a serious look.
It could be a good engine that they tore down and did an overhaul on.

I'd be checking to see if they are a reputable shop and is business for at least five years and whether they are willing to support the engine if there are problems in the future. You might ask if they kept any dimensional data records during what appears to have been a complete overhaul.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:38   #15

Many thanks for all your replies, I have learned a lot. Unfortunately I called the guy yesterday and after all that it turns out the Beta is already sold . On the plus side the guy was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and I just got a good vibe. They have a massive stock of other engines and suggested a Volvo Penta MD2030 as an option for the same money as the Beta. It’s a 2001 engine with around 2000 hours and they’ve done a full strip, check and rebuild just like the beta so may be a good option, although I do seem to covet a Beta for some reason. Any advise ref the md2030’s?

Many thanks again to all who have commented, this site is such a great resource.

Tags
rebuild