Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-08-2011, 07:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Bonehead Move: No Cooling Water . . . Now What ?

Also check your exhaust hose that leads from the water injector to the water lift muffler. The hose isn't spec'd to run without cooling water injection for more than a few minutes. If not burned through it may be hard and likely to crack when you least want it to.

Old 19-08-2011, 08:41   #17

Boat: Nimble30 'Sweet Pea'

As most of you predicted, there was no (apparent) damage to the impeller or other equipment. FWIW it was a Yanmar impeller, it appeared to be pristine but I changed it out anyway. I'm considering attaching it to the key as a reminder and I may yet locate my old checklist and start using it again.

Old 19-08-2011, 09:50   #18

While the key on the sea cock is a fine idea it's no replacement for looking over the side for cooling water every time you start the engine. That checks the sea cock is open, the impeller is working, no blockage in the strainer, and a bunch of hoses all in one glance.

Two other "upgrades" to consider:

-- Install an exhaust temperature alarm. These are inexpensive and easy to install yourself (it's just a strap with a thermocouple that goes around the exhaust hose). This will warn you of a cooling water cutoff (say from a plastic bag) before the engine is close to overheating.

-- Install a temperature gauge and sender in addition to your alarm. Temp sensors do fail surprisingly frequently. This give you redundancy in this critical area. It's also a great way to see how hard your engine is working. and that you aren't running the engine too cool (which can cause carbon buildup in the cylinders if done for an extended time)

Carl
Old 19-08-2011, 10:17   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I now have an inspection port in my engine room cover, with a hook on the inside. When I close down the boat, I open the cover and close the seacock, hanging the key inside next to the seacock. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to find the key to start the engine before I remember- oh, right- open the seacock first!
Yep, this is the kind of thing that worked for me too. I dont know how many times I've forgot to open a seacock... but too many. It's the first thing on my mind going down the dock and as soon as I get to the boat I get distracted by other things. I rarely close any seacocks at all anymore.
"Install an exhaust temperature alarm. These are inexpensive and easy to install yourself (it's just a strap with a thermocouple that goes around the exhaust hose). This will warn you of a cooling water cutoff (say from a plastic bag) before the engine is close to overheating."
Yeah, easy to install, just use a snap-disc thermostat from Graingers. Problem is, your impellers are already gone due to no water to lubricate them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 10:17   #20
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardnsailor View Post
As most of you predicted, there was no (apparent) damage to the impeller or other equipment. FWIW it was a Yanmar impeller, it appeared to be pristine but I changed it out anyway. I'm considering attaching it to the key as a reminder and I may yet locate my old checklist and start using it again.
That's good news! Thanks for posting the final resolution.
Old 19-08-2011, 11:24   #21

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Check lists are a good thing to have. Sometimes there is quite a bit on one´s mind and a list keeps one on track. As a pilot, it's essential to have one and I have carried that over into sailing as well.
Old 19-08-2011, 11:36   #22

Boat: Catalina 28

Yeah. I'm all about checklists too. Only time I forgot to open engine water intake was when I was splashing in after a haulout. Being distracted and worried about it falling out of the sling or new packing leaking I wasn't focused.
Old 19-08-2011, 11:41   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

You are thinking along the right lines.

Pull the raw water impeller because you now have to inspect it anyway. After pulling the impeller look at the lobes and hopefully they are all there. If lobes are missing then hopefully they are not going to cause problems elsewhere. Of course, replace the impeller with a new one.

Make up a little reminder and put it on your engine start button that your seacock is closed for next time.

Woops, just read back and saw that things turned out well...excellent.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 11:51   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Great that it turned out well. There are a lot of failsafe systems that help you remember to open a seacock but whatever you choose make certain you write it down somewhere and give it to your crew so that in an emergency they can do the right thing.
kind regards,
Old 20-08-2011, 08:26   #25

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep, this is the kind of thing that worked for me too. I dont know how many times I've forgot to open a seacock... but too many. It's the first thing on my mind going down the dock and as soon as I get to the boat I get distracted by other things. I rarely close any seacocks at all anymore.
"Install an exhaust temperature alarm. These are inexpensive and easy to install yourself (it's just a strap with a thermocouple that goes around the exhaust hose). This will warn you of a cooling water cutoff (say from a plastic bag) before the engine is close to overheating."
Yeah, easy to install, just use a snap-disc thermostat from Graingers. Problem is, your impellers are already gone due to no water to lubricate them.
That's why I prefer a water flow sensor (like the ones from Aqualarm.net).

Tags
engine cooling water, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: