Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2011, 05:31   #31

Re: Boat Diesel vs Truck Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Seahunter, this is great information. I suspected that the Perkins Sabre M92 was a 4-236. Is the M65 a 4-154? Just curious.
While it would seem like an obvious evolution, the 4-154 is a 154CID engine (2 Litre) and the M65 is a 184CID (3 Litre) and are completely different engines. The 154 has gone the way of the DoDo bird.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 05:47   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If I remember correctly from something I read on the Perkins-Sabre website quite a while ago, they were saying that the M92 was a heavier block and they had re-engineered (whatever that means) the engine to be quieter and more efficient than the previous model. So it sounds like the M92 was a replacement engine rather than just a renaming of the 4-236. But, that is just info from a Perkins-Sabre writeup. And I'm not sure if renaming was what Tripod had in mind when he said the M-92 was the 4-236. That is how I took it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 06:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If I remember correctly from something I read on the Perkins-Sabre website quite a while ago, they were saying that the M92 was a heavier block and they had re-engineered (whatever that means) the engine to be quieter and more efficient than the previous model. So it sounds like the M92 was a replacement engine rather than just a renaming of the 4-236.
Perkins Sabre states that the progression employing the same block configuration as 4-236, 4-248, M90, M92. (you can find it's variables here: List of Perkins engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
Perkins Sabre M92 - Description - Marine Diesel Engine for Leisure Craft and Commercial Craft Applications
The Cat 4.4 is the same block as the 236 punched out, and marinized. Only available as a genset and CD rated.
http://marine.cat.com/cda/files/1377...c%20Sheets.pdf
The M65 (no longer in production) is completely different than the 154 and when available was advertised as a whole NEW engine, designed to replace the 154.
Perkins Sabre M65 - Equipment - Marine Diesel Engine for Leisure Craft and Commercial Craft Applications

Old 25-11-2011, 08:50   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Premium engine features for reliability and durability minimises engine downtime and service costs.
Marina friendly - designed to operate free of smoke to the naked eye combined with low noise.
Lowest cost of ownership in its class - it pays to compare running costs.
Engine interchangeability - designed to have installation interchangeability with the 4.236(M90) marine engine.
Quote:
- This new generation engine has a pedigree of reliability inherited from its predecessors replacing the 4-236(M90) which was the benchmark for the industry
This does not say that they are the same engine. Could be though, I really don't know any more than what is stated on on the Perkins-Sabre site. The quotes are from the linked page that you supplied and seem to infer that they are different engines.
Old 25-11-2011, 11:21   #35

Quote:
This does not say that they are the same engine.
Yikes, this is why I included information with pictures. Of course they don't say it's the exact same engine. It's bore and stoke have been modified for its intended purpose or emission requirements. The variations of the 236 in either its gasoline or diesel form under license was/is the most produced engine perhaps of all times. A simple Google search will clarify the information. However, in all fairness; if you've never put a wrench to a diesel I could hardly blame one for being skeptical or ill-informed.

Old 25-11-2011, 13:00   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's bore and stoke have been modified for its intended purpose or emission requirements.
Seahunter, you would say that two engines that have different bore and stroke are the same engine? Bore and stroke differences mean different cranks, different pistons, different rods, possibly (probably?) different heads. It could be the same engine casting but that doesn't make it the same engine.

And how do you know what anyone on this site has and has not wrenched?
Old 26-11-2011, 04:16   #37

Quote:
Seahunter, you would say that two engines that have different bore and stroke are the same engine?
Sir, while some may find your rationale engaging, I find it boringly pedantic. Many manufacturers as GM produced many "versions" of their engines. EG the 350~5.7 L V8; recognizable by any nose picking 15 year old high school boy, came in versions with different bore and stroke, 2 and 4 bolt bearings, mechanical or hydraulic lifters with 145 to 375 stock HP. They were all "versions" of the "same" 350~5.7L engine.
Perkins engines (Google it) were built the same way with numerous configurations and versions under liscense by manufacturers all around the world. Both the 108s and the 236s came in various versions up until the 90's when Catepillar swallowed up Perkins for its designs and market. While Cat dropped competing and obsolete models the 236 was modernized and rebadged as the C4.4 but is the "same" engine (but different version) as the M90, and the Perkins Sabre M92.
Continuing this interchange with nothing more than semantics separating the issue, is just a waste of bandwidth.

Old 26-11-2011, 04:40   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

One of the things I enjoy doing is teaching people how their engines/systems work.

I do this quite a bit on vessels that have been recently purchased i.e. new old boat.

It usually takes 4-5 hours. We go thru the routine maintenace and troubleshooting.

If we do the whole boat....It can be about a days lesson.

Bring a notebook and lots of questions.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel