Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 13:48   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Bleeding Perkins 4.154 Diesel

Thanks aboutgone, I have the manual but it's nice to have a softcopy. I think the bleeding has been successful but now I need to deal with the starter. I haven't run any tests yet but think it may be shorting somewhere.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 10:38   #17

If you've bled the pump as per the manual first,
"Slacken the air vent valve on top of the governor housing (hydraulic governor) - Slacken the vent valve fitted on the head locking screw of the fuel injection pump - Operate the hand priming lever on the lift pump until fuel, free from air bubbles rises from each venting point."
Tighten vents in reverse, then crack open the injectors (I use a bilge oil mat + paper towel to soak up excess fuel) and start engine (This always works better with 2 people but...)

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:22   #18

Boat: Morgan 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
When talking about the Perkins 4.154 it should be noted if it is an American or Japanese Perkins. The later Perkins were built in Japan for Mazda but are in many boats. An easy telltale is if the fuel pump is Diesel Kiki. That is the Japanese version. MANY parts are not interchangeable, especially the fuel system.

The American lift pump has a lever, the Japanese has a round push knob. The Japanese lift pump push knob is prone to seizing and an external pump of some sort is recommended for priming the engine.
My boat has a spare Perkins 4.154 with the engine code GA... which is the 200 series or a Japanese engine but the injection pump is not a diesel pump Kiki. Could someone help to elaborate if someone has replaced the injection pump with the wrong one? One of the boat owners told me that this engine code GA would have the starter with 12 tooth gear when the older version of Perkins 4.154 should have a starter with 10 tooth gear. Is this a known fact on the difference of the two engine versions or that is the difference between the two versions of flywheels that could be mixed? Thank you
long1pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:37   #19

Boat: Trlåren 31

Perhaps the diaphragm in the manual lift pump has failed?
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, perkins 4.154