Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2009, 11:27   #31

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Thanks Never Monday. I agree, DON'T mess with the no load max RPM. The Yanmar tach may count teeth and be very robust, but mine was off never the less.

PaulM

I used to install electronic ignition systems on the big industrial gas engines.

We would either utilize the flywheel ring gear, or drill 360 holes in the face of the fly wheel to break the magnetic pickup's field for signaling purposes.

Basically the gear teeth (or holes) break the magnetic field and pulses a signal.

We sometimes experienced that the engines would begin misfiring or their governors swing due to a tooth being worn or broken, or the magnetic pickups being dirty or covered with metallic dust.

Missed or weak mag pulses will certainly affect a pulse driven tach. Next time if you have tach problems see if the mag pickup is dirty.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 13:35   #32

Boat: jeanneau trinidad 52
when was the engien overhauld?
black smoke is ,like told in the tread before ,a sign for onburned disel.
causes will be too much fuel or too little air.
probebly: injector or lack of compresion or bad disel.
i would suggest that you normaly never run the 2 GM over 2200 rpm.
stephan birke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, exhaust