Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2018, 15:07   #76
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Black smoke on yanmar diesel

IIRC, the timing of each cylinder is independent of each other i.e. both have to be timed separately and it carried out by turning a nut or similar on the injector pump where the each injector pipe exits the pump body.

Possibly a nut under the flare nut on the pump body of each line.
But I do emphasise I am hazy about the process - it was a long time ago when I last did it - decades at least .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 16:17   #77

Have you inspected/replaces the air filters? My Volvo’s get very smokey when air filters are dirty.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 18:53   #78
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatun View Post
Ok, would that effect only one cylinder? And how to check it?
Picture is worth a thousand words .

I'm pretty sure this is the nut that adjusts the timing, clearly there is one for each cylinder (but confirm elsewhere before going in too deep)!

IIRC, it should never be turned if the flare nut and pipe is removed and if it is, it must be returned to its original position otherwise the timing will be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	168871  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 06:05   #79

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Timing would still deliver fuel, unless is was grossly mis-adjisted
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 11:43   #80

Any more news on this problem? I have the same issue not knowing if its is the injection pump that is worn out.. I tried everything else...!
Saileur40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:42   #81

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saileur40 View Post
Any more news on this problem? I have the same issue not knowing if its is the injection pump that is worn out.. I tried everything else...!
Did you first check mixing elbow and prop/bottom for fouling? Start with the easy stuff......

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:19   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

It sounds like your injection pump is faulty. As sailmonkey says check that the roller/plunger part is moving freely. You need to remove your pump. I disagree that the pump is not rebuildable by mortals BUT you need to be mechanically inclined. Consult workshop manual & see if you dare to have a go.
However an injection shop has a pump testing machine that will set your metering accurately. I rebuilt an injection pump putting a new plunger & barrel in & a delivery valve but it took me a couple of assembly attempts to get it right. I just set it to the original rack mark for the metering.If you have the money & not much time it's easier to take it to an injection shop. I'm fairly sure they will replace those parts as a matter of course if your pump is a bit old or has water damage.
As sailmonkey said the plunger & barrel has very fine tolerances as it needs to to get to the 2400psi+ to feed the injector.Its just steel on steel lapped fit. This means it does not take much wear to mess it up.
There are multiple places where dirt can have an effect in the pump or injector. I would be tempted to clean everything first but I'm cheap. Again that depends on wether you are confident enough to dismantle pump & know you can get it back together without leaking or breaking something. You will need new copper crush washers. Pour over the pages in the manual before even attempting this.
Again, I stress it's faster & easier, to take it to an injection pump shop but a lot more expensive
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:38   #83

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saileur40 View Post
The timing is not adjusted by that nut it's set with a shim under the tappet in the pump body and with shims under the pump flange the tappet shim is for the fireing order and under the flange to engine timing
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:55   #84

Boat: Rainbow 42

I took my injection pump to a repair shop, because one of the injectors barely got fuel. Works superb now...
skatun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 14:43   #85
Marine Service Provider

Good news they fixed it. Did they say what was wrong? When you say it works superb now do you mean the injection pump or the engine?
I imagine it cured the engine problems but it's not unknown to have 2 or more problems at once! Ask me how I know.lol
Old 18-04-2019, 16:18   #86

Boat: Rainbow 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Good news they fixed it. Did they say what was wrong? When you say it works superb now do you mean the injection pump or the engine?
I imagine it cured the engine problems but it's not unknown to have 2 or more problems at once! Ask me how I know.lol
They took my 240usd and said they fixed it, and that they did not change the timing, but some seals due to saltwater and general cleaning I assume.

The engine runs fine now, it still has a bit of white smoke, but I assume this is due to the saltwater cooling and that the overflow get mixed in the exhaust pipe or?

A two cylinder sounds awful, so I guess its how it suppose to sounds, the connection rod bearing has been replaced so there cant be anything else making the hammering sound.. Oil looks great, RPM is 900 on idle, temperatures are ok, so I will say the engine is fixed.
skatun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 18:02   #87
Marine Service Provider

Man if you think a 2 cylinder sounds awful try a single cylinder.
White smoke can be water vapour i.e. steam or unburned diesel when it's cold. See if you can compare your engine noise to another boats with the same engine. It shouldnt steam unless outside air is cold as I imagine is the case if you are in Norway
$240 is not that much for a injection pump repair. Maybe a little steep for just a clean.
They wanted $400 US to repair our single cylinder one
Old 25-04-2019, 05:23   #88

Boat: Catalina Morgan 381

Hi:
I have had the same problem on a westerbeke 38B since Feb. Did all of the things you have done. I was in the keys and got a second opinion from a mechanic down there that knew his stuff. He sirst thought it would be the mixing elbow when he saw that was n ot it he opened up the valve cover to find it was a broken rocker arm. The valve is in the up position on mine. The engine is not getting its full RPMs only 2200, it seems that it is just running on 3 cylinders.Brought it back to Miami in the process of getting the hgead off and sending to a machine shop.
ed2068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 11:12   #89

I have the same issue with a 1GM10. In neutral, it will get up to 3600 RPM, with no smoke. In gear, it used to do 3350, but now won’t go above 3150. Recently it’s been limited to 2800 or 2900, with black smoke. Three years ago I replaced the injector, the injection pump, the lift pump, exhaust elbow, valves, and the valve guides and springs. The engine ran well without smoking. I have tried replacing the air filter, replacing the fuel filter, checking for collapsed exhaust hose ( hard to tell, but the outer hose surface felt OK and I back flushed it with water and didn’t see indication of obstruction). So far this has not worked. One observation is that it seems to get worse when the fuel in the tank gets stirred up. That’s why I replaced the fuel filter, but I’m not sure that would cause black smoke, and it runs fine in neutral. The prop and bottom are clean.
If anybody has any ideas please let me know.
Craighershoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 12:12   #90

Here is a short video
Craighershoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, yanmar