Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 10:28   #1

big engine trouble results

Well I got the rebuilt head back for my Ford Sabre,I put it all back together got her running, changed the oil several times and took the oil cooler out to pressure test and its fine no leaks soooo... I assume I have had a siphoning problem and thats where the sea water and oil came from. I got a tip on a vetus system and I guess that will be next. I still question why all of a sudden after 30 years she would siphon now, idling at a mooring?? I hate guessing,
bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:31   #2

Syphoning??

Could you give me a breakdown of whats happening...I just oicked up the thread with no background...cheers
Jerry Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I need a little more information. Is your lube oil a creme colored brown?...meaning there is water in it. Is the oil cooler for your engine oil or your transmission oil? Did you go by the manufacturers specs for torquing down your engine head? What exactly is siphoning from where to where?

There is a possibility that oil or water is leaking from one oil or water gallery to an adjacent gallery at the head gasket. Meaning this is not being caused by siphoning. Its just a possibility.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:32   #4

My original trouble was sea water in the oil [grey} on top I lost a cylinder I took the head off and found a burned exhuast valve. So I sent the head off for a rebuild which solved one prob. but I still have not determined the sea water/oil prob. I think the only other way it could happen is back siphon from the exhuast
Old 10-08-2008, 11:40   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Bamboo,
I could only guess beyond this point. I am going to defer to one of our engine experts. They would have a much better idea than I.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
normal symptom of a cylinder problem is bad starting.

Frequent problem when engine does not start is that unless water cock is closed, the constant cranking builds up the water , and lack of exhaust prevents it being expelled. A route for that water is into the oil through the bad cylinder!
Old 10-08-2008, 13:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Do you have an anti-siphon valve in the raw water line?? If you do, remove the little ball thingy that's supposed to break the siphon. Replace it with a hose fitting for a small diameter tube and lead that to an overboard thru-hull. Be sure it is looped up as high in the boat is practicable so it can't backfeed if submerged. Have heard of people who run it into the cockpit so they can be sure the coolant water is flowing.

Anti-siphon valves are notorious for getting stuck closed. When that happens, the water siphons back into the exhaust and into the engine through whichever exhaust valve is open. By removing the anti-siphon valve and replacing with a hose, you no longer have to worry about the valve sticking, which it is guaranteed to do. Because of the small diameter of the valve replacement hose, it doesn't significantly effect the amount of cooling water that goes to the engine.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 16:42   #8

Where on your engine is the raw water pump...does it connect direct onto the block..if so..are the seals good..water can seep through and into the oil..
Old 11-08-2008, 03:06   #9

Thanks for the resp, I do not have a anti siphon thats my next move, before this saga began I had just changed the injection pump, and there was some long cranking going on until I got it dialed in correctly. The raw water pump connects to a shaft housing so it is not bolted directly on.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:25   #10

I was just thinking, is it possible because the valve in the lowest cylinder was so badly burned that it was not helping the other cyls. blow out the exhuast water when I was cranking, to get the injection pump in???
Old 11-08-2008, 07:14   #11

Even if the valve was burned. the engine could not push seawater out just by cranking. What concernes me is that if you had seawater in the cylinders, you would have had a lock up due to hydraulic pressure. Then you would have had to remove injectors..spin the motor..re-fit and hopefully start. It is also possible to bend the conrods if you try to spin the motor with water in the cylinders.
If you had left the motor for some time the water would have led to a corrosion seizure. This all leads to trying to ascertain the source of the water...is it fresh or salt...
Fresh can only come from heat exchangers..cylinderhead gasket..cracked block.(very rare)..exhaust manifold..
If you are now running, it wont be the exhaust water cause its getting blown out.
Get the fresh water side pressure tested and see if it maintains pressure.
Cheers..
Old 11-08-2008, 07:27   #12

It was def. sea water because of the color mix, when I pulled the head off there was no corrosion or water for that matter on top of pistons????
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
You boat may have started siphoning because its now lower in the water. I remember a boat with a similar problem brought on by adding thousands of pounds of gear and provisions.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote