Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-09-2013, 13:58   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Re: Beware - Yanmar SD-50 Saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Roetter,

Did you managed to get SD60's from Lagoon for nr L450/280? If so, we're there any issues ordering them? How are they performing? A few weeks ago I placed an order for an L450, hull nr 304, and made a request for the SD60s and still waiting for a reply.

Anyone else out there with the new Yanmar SD60s and share their views?

Steve
The boat is ready, sitting in the yard. We are launching her about 1 October as we are waiting for the end of hurricane season before having her sailed to the Bahamas from France. She should have the SD60s. I let you know when I see her in 3 weeks.

Old 03-09-2013, 14:32   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Are these wet clutches?. If so then read on. I've had a couple of motorcycles and the wet clutches can be problematic. I had one where the clutch was locked up. I had been reading about bikers using diesel motor oil for the clutches. Apparently it has all the goodies in it that make the clutches work perfectly. Google it. So, drained the oil and put in Delo and a new filter and the clutch worked perfectly instantly. I couldn't believe it. I was following this thread and others like it and I wonder if this would help. BTW I'm not associated with Delo (I wish). And I used their cheap basic stuff.
Premium Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid, Commercial Transportation - Delo - (United States)

Old 03-09-2013, 14:57   #18

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Are these SD20 & 60s actually Yanmar or a re-badged/painted Technodrive/Twindisk?
Yanmar state that they are disc clutch not cone clutch in their literature.
Here's a link to the operations manual.
http://yanmar.com/product/marineplea...SDM-G00200.pdf
Cheers,
Mac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yanmar+SD60.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	66446  
Old 03-09-2013, 15:39   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The SD20 is a dog clutch, the SD50 is a cone clutch. I don't know what the SD60 is.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 16:11   #20

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The SD20 is a dog clutch, the SD50 is a cone clutch. I don't know what the SD60 is.

Mark
Mark,
The 'SD20' I was referring to is the Twindisc or Technodrive or ZF designation of their Saildrive, some are also called 'Seaprop SP**' by some suppliers, not the Yanmar SD20 dog clutch version.
Sorry for the confusion, but who actually makes these saildrives is a little confusing at best.
The new Yanmar saildrive is designated the 'SD60' and replaces the SD50 at least.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 04-09-2013, 14:30   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 450
Yanmar have introduced the new SD60 that fits with their 3JH and 4JH series engines. The SD60 operating manual can be found here http://yanmar.com/product/marineplea...on/library.php
I would speculate that they introduced this model to replace the 50 as there have been significant issues raised, least not the cone clutch system. I wouldn't expect Yanmar to confirm this!

I would like to hear from any owners who had any experience with the SD60 though it would be fresh as I understand they were introduces only recently.

Steve
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:59   #22

This is interesting link about SD 50
http://www.zerotocruising.com/dipsticks/
Old 12-09-2013, 11:16   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 450
Received confirmation today that Lagoon will install SD60 sail drives onto my L450/304 as requested. Not sure this is a good thing yet....better to know the devil.... But I've decided to go this route and hope in the future I'm not filling up CF with help requests. I wrote them a letter positioning out the various complaints and letting them know there is definitely something wrong when owners need to write their own repair manuals. I suspect they were making this change regardless as they are aware of owners complaints.

For those that have the opportunity to choose Yanmar SD60s over the 50s, you may want to consider this.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 18:38   #24

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Received confirmation today that Lagoon will install SD60 sail drives onto my L450/304 as requested. Not sure this is a good thing yet....better to know the devil.... But I've decided to go this route and hope in the future I'm not filling up CF with help requests. I wrote them a letter positioning out the various complaints and letting them know there is definitely something wrong when owners need to write their own repair manuals. I suspect they were making this change regardless as they are aware of owners complaints.

For those that have the opportunity to choose Yanmar SD60s over the 50s, you may want to consider this.
Are you sure this is an option? I thought Lagoon has no other choice, because that is the way that Yanmar delivers the new engines, with the SD60. The SD60 has a multi-disk clutch instead of the cone clutch.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:38   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I had to get my cone clutch lapped at just over 200hrs and a Beneteau 41 with SD-50 saildrive. I talked to Yanmar guys at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show yesterday and when I mentioned SD-50, they all looked up in dismay... They say Yanmar maintenance schedule recommends that SD-50s cone clutches be inspected every 250hrs. In reading the maintenance manual, I actually see that this comes at every 500hrs, not 250hrs. In any case, there is obviously major flows with the SD-50s clutch design and reliability and Yanmar's own people acknowledge it. I think Yanmar owes all SD-50 owners a clear explanation of what the weakness are and a fair settlement in either retrofitting those sail drives or providing regular checks and service free of charge. I found it unacceptable that I am asked to get my clutch taken apart every 250 hrs for inspection, don't you?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:33   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecam View Post
I had to get my cone clutch lapped at just over 200hrs and a Beneteau 41 with SD-50 saildrive. I talked to Yanmar guys at the Annapolis Boat Show yesterday and when I mentioned SD-50, they all looked up in dismay... They say Yanmar maintenance schedule recommends that SD-50s cone clutches be inspected every 250hrs. In reading the maintenance manual, I actually see that this comes at every 500hrs, not 250hrs. In any case, there is obviously major flows with the SD-50s clutch design and reliability and Yanmar's own people acknowledge it. I think Yanmar owes all SD-50 owners a clear explanation of what the weakness are and a fair settlement in either retrofitting those sail drives or providing regular checks and service free of charge. I found it unacceptable that I am asked to get my clutch taken apart every 250 hrs for inspection, don't you?
Absolutely it is unacceptable, but unless you're lawyer that can do his own court work are you going to pay the costs of suing them? Unfortunately there are probably not enough yanmar owners out there to make it worth while for a lawyer to take this on as a class action suit. You know those type of suits where the lawyers get a 100 million and the victims get a dollar. Now if you could show that someone had been injured or died because of a bad cone clutch design you could probably get something going. It seems to me that Yanmar could care less that we are having problems with their saildrives. I guess you have yet to find out thet the steel they use in their shafts is so soft that the oil seals cut grooves in them and you have to have them replaced along with your leaking oil seals. The last time this happened to me the shop turned down the shaft and put a chrome steel sleeve over the shaft. They said it was the only way they had found to solve the problem. The fact is that Yanmar SD40/SD50 sail drives are absolute junk. I know, I own two.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:02   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 349

This is really annoying but even without a class action law suit, they must not be happy to see a growing list of SD-50 owners with issues, not good at all for their PR....
Old 11-10-2013, 20:27   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've owned a pair of SD40s for 8 years and have seen no evidence what-so-ever that Yanmar gives a rats ass about their customers or their reputation when it comes to their saildrives. When I contacted them about the soft metal in their shafts, they said "that happens' and this was a drive with only 1000 hours on it. It leaked 200 hours later and the new shaft had a groove in it that prevented sealing and that is when the shop put the chrome sleeve on it. If they cared at all about their customers they would have done something besides put a new case on an SD40 and call it an SD50. I have the parts manual for both units and the case is the only part that's different. All the parts that really matter are exactly the same. I somewhat assume that Yanmar does not make it's own sail drives, because I find it hard to beleive a company that makes such good engines could make such a poor product. Perhaps the saildrive market is just not large enough to make them care. It's not quite like a car where someone buys a new one every few years, as most people will only buy one or two new ones in a lifetime. After my experience with Yanmar sail drives I know I'll never buy another one so why should they care about making me happy.
Old 11-10-2013, 22:51   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

This topic makes me nervous. I have a SD 50 with 300 hrs up. So far so good. Have done two oil changes to date with Quicksilver 80/90. My manual says change every 200 hrs. Very credible Yanmar mechanic said they have minimal problems with boats using Quicksilver. I have a warning near helm indicating you must be in neutral when sailing in excess of 8 knots, with fixed blade prop. I am always in neutral when sailing as per manual.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:08   #30

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Absolutely it is unacceptable, but unless you're lawyer that can do his own court work are you going to pay the costs of suing them? Unfortunately there are probably not enough yanmar owners out there to make it worth while for a lawyer to take this on as a class action suit. You know those type of suits where the lawyers get a 100 million and the victims get a dollar. Now if you could show that someone had been injured or died because of a bad cone clutch design you could probably get something going. It seems to me that Yanmar could care less that we are having problems with their saildrives. I guess you have yet to find out thet the steel they use in their shafts is so soft that the oil seals cut grooves in them and you have to have them replaced along with your leaking oil seals. The last time this happened to me the shop turned down the shaft and put a chrome steel sleeve over the shaft. They said it was the only way they had found to solve the problem. The fact is that Yanmar SD40/SD50 sail drives are absolute junk. I know, I own two.
Had the exact same issue on one of mine at 450 hrs,the seal was leaking due to the soft shaft steel, repair was to put sleeve on the shaft

Tags
paracelle, saildrive, yanmar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: