Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-08-2010, 09:33   #16
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Since Beta Marine specifies that the mechanical transfer pump that is mounted on the engine will only lift fuel 250mm, I'm going to install an electric fuel pump, which I think will solve the problem.
Make sure you do not have to big of a lift as mentioned above. I have the same engine. My tank used to be deep in the bilge. I moved it aft and a little highter. Used to pump the raycor pump every start to get things going. Now that the lift is next to nothing things are much easier. Give Stanley a call at Beta NC. He is very helpful. I would check into the return line as mentioned above also.

Good luck.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:52   #17

Boat: Irwin sloop
The electric fuel pump should do the trick. I had the same problem with a Perkins 4108 and solved it that way, let it run about 30 seconds before cranking it over and any air that has invaded the system is purged and it should fire on the first turn.

Old 02-08-2010, 17:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
The electric fuel pump should do the trick. I had the same problem with a Perkins 4108 and solved it that way, let it run about 30 seconds before cranking it over and any air that has invaded the system is purged and it should fire on the first turn.
Finding and fixing the air problem is the only way to go. With air comes trouble and rust and grief.
Old 02-08-2010, 18:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Finding and fixing the air problem is the only way to go. With air comes trouble and rust and grief.
why? all you do is run out of fuel....
Old 02-08-2010, 19:18   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post

I breathe air and have no trouble rust or greif
Old 06-08-2010, 22:40   #21

Boat: '75 Catalina 30

ok so... I tried the fuel bleed based on the manual. I screwed out the bleed nut and pumped the bleed lever a zillion times and either nothing or just air came out. I thought (at least I was told) that if you hold the kill switch and pump the "throttle" it pumps fuel through the system.(???) Didn't work. Any other ideas? It seems fuel simply isn't getting pushed where it needs to go.
Old 06-08-2010, 23:22   #22

Pumping the fuel control (throttle) does nothing to an stopped engine. What you may have heard is to crank the engine with the STOP pulled. But that doesn't sound useful. On engines with electric pumps you might bleed by running the electric pump without cranking. Sometimes this is done with the PREHEAT switch. But preheat should be limited to 30 seconds per minute (see manual).

If you opened a bleed valve while pumping the manual pump and nothing came out then it sounds like a problem with the pump. Or no fuel. Sometimes the manual pump doesn't pump because the engine driven part of it already has the diaphragm depressed. Bump the engine a small bit with the starter and see if it then pumps.

A Beta 20, if it's like one I have, should bleed itself in a minute of pumping, even without loosening a bleed screw.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:32   #23
Senior Cruiser

Boat: C&C 34
I agree with daddle.

A few other things:

You still have not answered the question if you have a big lift. If you do any air leak in the fuel system will be magnified by gravity. An electric fuel pump will help with this. Also does your return line dip down below the fuel tank as shown in the installation manual?

As mentioned earlier in this thread I have the same engine and had the same problem. Had to either crank the engine for 15 sec or pump the manual fuel pump to get it going. It did not like to start at first, but every other start that day would be fine. Relocated my fuel tank and ran the return line properly now it takes about 1/4 second for the engine to start. Do not ignore this possibility. I did for 3 years and struggled.

Also, what kind of fuel water separator do you have?

When you change your fuel filters do you fill them with diesel before you install them? This will help the bleeding process quite a bit.
Old 07-08-2010, 17:07   #24
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would suspect that the lift is too big for the lift pump. try plumbing in a temp 5 gallon plastic near the engine. if its starts quick then theres your problem

dave
Old 07-08-2010, 21:24   #25

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
The maximum fuel lift for the mechanical fuel pump on your engine is 10 to 12 inches as previously mentioned. Unles you address this you will continue to have problems. Either fit a low pressure fuel pump or fit a 'day tank' to solve the problem. If your pump did pump previously, you may have a ruptured diaphragm and will have to replace the pump.

Call Stan at Beta Marine USA (252) 249 2473 for advise / parts....
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 18:58   #26

Few notes:

- The fuel tank is stern of the Engine and just about at the same level.
- The return line runs back to the top of the fuel tank.
- I just upgraded to a Racor 500FG fuel/water separator.

I'm still having difficulties starting the engine. I removed the T bolt from the new Racor and filled with fuel as specified in their instructions. It just turns and turns. Any additional advice? I'm thinking the next step would be the fuel pump as noted above.

thanks again.
Old 14-08-2010, 12:28   #27

Location: Home port is San Diego, California but currently cruising the East Coast of the USA.
Boat: Contest 48
Sorry to repeat myself, but I think you have a fuel leak down problem and I think it can be solved by one or two remedies or both.

1. Route your fuel return line so it has a low point that is below the lowest level of the fuel tank. This is specified in the Beta Marine installation manual.
  2. Install an electric fuel pump.
Fair winds and calm seas.
Old 14-08-2010, 20:06   #28

Thanks nhschneider, the fuel return line (and the line from the tank to the engine) both dip below the fuel tank. I'll work on finding an electric fuel pump, unless anyone has any suggestions. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2010, 15:56   #29

Ok, so I found that the fuel lift pump was completely blocked for whatever reason. No amount of pressure would send fuel through the pump and recommended troubleshooting tips were made. I replaced that pump in addition to upgrading the Racor fuel/water separator. Next, I need to replace the glow plugs because they're burnt out. The good thing is these engines are very easy to work on. That pump took about 5 minutes to replace. Hoping the glow plugs may be the final step.
Old 06-09-2013, 23:59   #30

Boat: Coronado 34
Re: Beta Marine 20 Diesel - Won't Start

did you ever add the return loop?

Rule #9 - nobody can tell you're trippin' unless you tell them,

"I'm trippin'"
izzy1554 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta marine, paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: