Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2016, 19:47   #1

Boat: Nordic 44
Beta engine and NMEA 2k?

Is anyone getting NMEA2k out of your Beta engine? I'm looking into a repower with a Beta 50. One feature I'd like is to get NMEA2k data from the engine senders. Beta actually makes a panel that provides this (the "D" panel), however I don't have a good place to mount that panel on the boat, so looking for other solutions. I looked a bit at the Actisense EMU-1 but it doesn't claim to support Beta engines.
jmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 22:28   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Beta engine and NMEA 2k?

Be very very careful of what you wish for. You really don't want an engine that has a bunch of electronic sensors and a computer to read them. There will come a day when it will tell you to call your mechanic because it has a computer fault. Better to have temperature and oil pressure alarms on a simple engine.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 22:33   #3

Planning to have analog gauges as well.
Old 21-12-2016, 02:22   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

You might take a look at the NoLand RS-11. I have one (yet to install) and will be mating to my Beta60 (I hope) when I do my repower next month. It basically makes a CAN bus for non-CAN engines and puts the signals/details on the N2K bus.

RS11 - CANbus Engine Data Converter, NoLand Engineering

It doesn't control the engine (like an ECU) - just monitors.

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Since there's nothing unique about Beta's analogue senders, the Actisence should do exactly what you desire.

Actisense EMU-1, analog engine gauges to NMEA 2000

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Actisense EMU-1, analog engine gauges to NMEA 2000 happiness

Actisense - Overview

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 08:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

I purchased a BZ482 directly from Stanley Feigenbaum with Beta Marine at the boat show">Miami boat show about a decade ago. He has a wealth of knowledge. Ask him. My experience is that he will steer you in the right direction. Good Luck.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:17   #7

Boat: Chris Craft DC 42

I have a similar situation and used an ALBA-COMBI. You can keep your gauges if desired but it takes multiple channels, digitizes the information and injects it into your NMEA 2K backbone. You can get them for $325.00 on ebay.

AlbaCombi Translate analogue to nmea2000 converter

You will spend more time calibrating and setting up the displays than you will wiring and installing but I'm very happy with mine.
OldChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post
You might take a look at the NoLand RS-11. I have one (yet to install) and will be mating to my Beta60 (I hope) when I do my repower next month. It basically makes a CAN bus for non-CAN engines and puts the signals/details on the N2K bus.

RS11 - CANbus Engine Data Converter, NoLand Engineering

It doesn't control the engine (like an ECU) - just monitors.

Cheers - Jim
Jim, this looks like a good option. Similar to the EMU-1 but looks like everything is configurable. Do you know if you'll be connecting it to the gauges or to the senders directly?
Old 21-12-2016, 09:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Since there's nothing unique about Beta's analogue senders, the Actisence should do exactly what you desire.

Actisense EMU-1, analog engine gauges to NMEA 2000

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Actisense EMU-1, analog engine gauges to NMEA 2000 happiness

Actisense - Overview
I suppose I can return it if it doesn't work out. But, they go to the trouble to specify which gauges its compatible with, and the Murphy gauges used by the Beta are not listed. That and the fact that you can't just go in and tweak all the parameters directly made me think twice about it. If someone has it working with their Beta, that would convince me, since I've had good luck with other Actisense gear.
Old 21-12-2016, 09:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
I purchased a BZ482 directly from Stanley Feigenbaum with Beta Marine at the Miami boat show about a decade ago. He has a wealth of knowledge. Ask him. My experience is that he will steer you in the right direction. Good Luck.
Thanks, I'll try to contact Stanley.
Old 21-12-2016, 10:08   #11

Boat: Catalina 36

I have the Noland RS11 on my Universal M25 - which is a cousin of the Beta. Works great, and yes I kept all the analog gauges, and swapped the oil pressure switch out for a switch/gauge dual sensor - I've got mine running thru a N2K -> SeaTalkng cable to display on my Raymarine MFD -
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:27   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Be very very careful of what you wish for. You really don't want an engine that has a bunch of electronic sensors and a computer to read them. There will come a day when it will tell you to call your mechanic because it has a computer fault. Better to have temperature and oil pressure alarms on a simple engine.
I like old diesels that once started they need no electricity. As someone said on another thread, if the intake can get air they will run. I'm sure more efficient diesels exist for cars. They should stay ashore. Is that a pun?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 18:39   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmish View Post
Jim, this looks like a good option. Similar to the EMU-1 but looks like everything is configurable. Do you know if you'll be connecting it to the gauges or to the senders directly?
jmish -- hopefully I'll know in the next 30 days or so! My return, the delivery of the new Beta - removal of the old engine etc. I'm believing the literature (so much so I am considering to implement on a non-ECU race car for data) and am open to doing a double link to the senders if needed --just a little less cable run from the engine to the NavSta vs the engine panel to the NavSta!

I'll try and remember to post as I go.

Cheers Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 22:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post

I'll try and remember to post as I go.

Cheers Jim
Please do! I'll do the same.
Old 05-01-2017, 15:07   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

Just picked up an Alba Combi to install on my Morgan 462. Planning on monitoring the basic engine parameters of my Westerbeke 82B (RPM, temperature, oil pressure and alternator voltage), plus fuel level in two tanks and possibly water rank level too. I have a new Garmin 1040xs chartplotter than will display all this info. I intended to keep the existing analog gauges and wires the inputs to the Alba Combi in parallel with them.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, nmea