Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 07:36   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Beta BZ482 2cyl diesel Engine revs all the way up and doesn't cut off

Anyone had similar problem with a beta 14/bz482 engines? Or can give me some ideas how to troubleshoot a similar or the same problem in another diesel engine? It starts normal, idles normal for about 15 second and gradually revs up to 4k RPM and stays there. Pushing the cut off button on the panel doesn't do anything. I disconnect the wiring harness and still runs. Finally pulling the fuel line i am able to shut off the engine. Spoken to beta marine rep. and advised to check to see oif slider on the fuel injection pump is stuck. Removed the pump and everything looks normal, i can also see the governor spring inside the cavity that pump sits in so the governor spring is not missing as well. i put the pump back in and same thing repeats. Brought the pump home and planning on disassembly everything and put back together. Meanwhile i wonder if anyone else has suggestion. All cable controls removed so there is no interaction with them, it should just start and idle normally. Thanks.
Beta bz482 is a 2cyl diesel engine, My first diesel engine and it appears to be a simple set up.
littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 08:54   #2

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Beta BZ482 2cyl diesel Engine revs all the way up and doesn't cut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledevil View Post
Anyone had similar problem with a beta 14/bz482 engines? Or can give me some ideas how to troubleshoot a similar or the same problem in another diesel engine? It starts normal, idles normal for about 15 second and gradually revs up to 4k RPM and stays there. Pushing the cut off button on the panel doesn't do anything. I disconnect the wiring harness and still runs. Finally pulling the fuel line i am able to shut off the engine. Spoken to beta marine rep. and advised to check to see oif slider on the fuel injection pump is stuck. Removed the pump and everything looks normal, i can also see the governor spring inside the cavity that pump sits in so the governor spring is not missing as well. i put the pump back in and same thing repeats. Brought the pump home and planning on disassembly everything and put back together. Meanwhile i wonder if anyone else has suggestion. All cable controls removed so there is no interaction with them, it should just start and idle normally. Thanks.
Beta bz482 is a 2cyl diesel engine, My first diesel engine and it appears to be a simple set up.

Call Stanley or Farron down at Beta Marine NC. They are extremely helpful.

You could post on the Beta Marine Forum also:

https://82353.activeboard.com/
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 11:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Call Stanley or Farron down at Beta Marine NC. They are extremely helpful.

You could post on the Beta Marine Forum also:

https://82353.activeboard.com/
Hi. I have spoken to Farron yesterday, as you said they have been very halpfull in the past and also today. Removed the pump with Farrons advise. I updated him with the no change result. At this point i would call him after the pump disassmbley if nothing changes. I have been reading online and started to be inclined towards the idea that internals of the pump has something to do. I need to get into that thing and hopefully out. Did it once before, drowing pictures along the way what goes where. Lots of small pieces.
Old 15-05-2019, 07:24   #4
Marine Service Provider

Hi. I have spoken to Farron yesterday, as you said they have been very halpfull in the past and also today. Removed the pump with Farrons advise. I updated him with the no change result. At this point i would call him after the pump disassmbley if nothing changes. I have been reading online and started to be inclined towards the idea that internals of the pump has something to do. I need to get into that thing and hopefully out. Did it once before, drowing pictures along the way what goes where. Lots of small pieces.
Yesterday 11:54

The problem with this engine is the rack has a spec of rust on it hindering it's free movement or something has happened to one of the governor springs.
This is not a job for someone who has no test equipment and cannot verify that the pump works correctly before it gets assembled into the engine. I advise you to take the pump to a fuel injection shop and have it properly rebuilt and calibrated.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 11:05   #5

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Had the same problem in a Toyota diesel, scared the crap out of me. Return spring in injection pump failed. As noted earlier, best dealt with by a pro, as the new spring will, most likely, require a different shim. If you have a machinist background you will likely have most of the knowledge, and some of the tools required.
Cheers
Old 15-05-2019, 12:59   #6

Just placed an order for a brand new fuel injection pump. I figure if a take it to a pro repair shop, it would set me back give or take the same amount i am paying for the pump (fourfitY$). Getting a pump rebuilt not much cheaper neither. So i am betting all my chips on the fact that its the pump and the new pump would cure the problem.
I have zero experience dealing with the governor stuff. If new pump don't do anything, it will be the next to focus on. I see a spring looking down at the opening for the pump and there is a small spring on the side. Is it something that can be adjusted, replaced....No idea. I just hope the new pump would do the trick.
Old 15-05-2019, 15:23   #7

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Blocked return line? Pressure slowly building up when the relief valve fails to open.
Broken spring etc would go straight away to full revs.
Crack the return line straight after the last injector connection & hang it in a container & start the motor.
Not familiar with that motor but had similar on a 4 cyl Hino motor.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 17:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Good chance new pump will fix it IF problem is not the governor. Have you got a workshop manual for that engine? I'd go thru all the checks they list in that.
You are right about cost of pump vs repair but it would be better to check governor operation first
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 06:20   #9

Thanks i ll check the return line but its very unlikely. I removed the tank and all and cleaned the hell out of everything.
I have the manual but its not the detailed workshop type. I don't think it exist anyway but i double check, would love to have one. Sometimes in the past beta emailed some extra info with more detailed pic. I ll contact them to see if i can get a bit more onfo about the operation of the governor spring.
Old 16-05-2019, 06:23   #10

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Get a manual from Kubota.
Midnight Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 07:12   #11
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Off topic safety aside: This points out am important safety issue. Runaway diesel engines is what destroyed the BP platform Deepwater Horizon. The AC generators aspirated methane from a well blowout, which overrode engine speed controls. The only way to shut down a diesel that is aspirating air mixed with fuel is to cutoff the air intake. All diesel engines on a boat should have a manual or automatic intake air cutoff in case a propane leak reaches the engine intake causing it to overspeed.

Some have hypothesized that sea areas notorious for unexplained losses of vessels may routinely "belch" methane bubbles - causing running diesel engines to runaway resulting in - as NASA has named it - a 'rapid unscheduled disassembly' while the vessel is surrounded by an explosive mixture of methane.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:42   #12

UPDATE: Installed the new fuel injection pump, also bought a new portable tan and rigged all the fuel outlet, fuel return line, breather line etc. Also switched the 12v fuel pump to the new tank, filled the tank with fresh diesel and fired up, bleeded the whole system. It started right up, idles perfect etc. But, i somehow have no throttle response. I mean 0. nothing. Disconnected the morse control cables and trying to use the throttle lever on the engine which does nothing.
Got pissed off not being able to operate my boat and popped the little cap hiding the governor adjustment nut under. Turned the adjustment screw in/out observing the result. Idle change but again no throttle response, which made me think that i maybe having issue related to throttle lever, the way it connects/engages to the fuel injection pump perhaps? I really need to find a detailed workshop manual for this engine. I can't think of snything else. If can't make no progress, ill set sail to a marina who does repairs on this engines(it should be3-4 hours sailing).
Old 27-05-2019, 15:41   #13
Marine Service Provider

Yes you do need a workshop manual. As midnight son said in post #10 if you know what Kubota engine it is get that one. Should be able to get one from a tractor dealer. Beta should tell you which Kubota engine it is or take pictures of block stampings & engine & ask at Kubota dealer
Old 27-05-2019, 16:57   #14

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Yes you do need a workshop manual. As midnight son said in post #10 if you know what Kubota engine it is get that one. Should be able to get one from a tractor dealer. Beta should tell you which Kubota engine it is or take pictures of block stampings & engine & ask at Kubota dealer
Z482. The B is for Beta and the rest is Kubota's model number.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 21:55   #15
Marine Service Provider

Does the fuel ( throttle) lever on the engine injection pump move through it's normal arc?

Tags
diesel, engine