Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 18:58   #31

Re: Beta 38 or Yanmar 3JH5E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmartin View Post
the Beta 38 is in the boat and should be back in the water on Monday. Will let you know how it goes.
I'm looking forward to your progress report. I have a Beta 38 on order and expect to be installing it next month.
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 20:42   #32

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Just because of the cost of Yanmar spares, I'd go Beta. As noted, they are marinized tractor engines, and spares shouldn't be a problem. I hate how Yanmar markets: They market like the razor companies, they give the engines away (no, I know they don't give them away for free - just cheap) to the boat builders, and then make their money on spares (razors & blades). They protect their geographic distributor/dealer network, which results in MUCH higher prices (no competition) for parts.
I have a Yanmar 3JH4E. I have found parts to be very reasonably priced. Filters and impellers cheaper than Defender. And if you travel internationally you will find parts abroad at those "protected" dealerships by Yanmar and not much for anyone else. But if you are just staying near the marina it may not matter. You may think that in these days of DHL you do not need parts availability abroad but try importing parts to some countries and you will know what I mean. My old Westerbeke was a nightmare. This quote about Yanmar does not jive with my experience as an owner. Also, I found almost no difference in initial price from Beta. I did my own installation and apples to apples my Yanmar was about the same as Beta quote. Both were helpful on the phone. My local dealer was great with help on my questions during self install.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 11:22   #33

Boat: Rival 36
Hi. New engine now done 35 hours and looking good. Have changed gearbox oil as per schedule after 25 hours and will make first main oil change after 50 hours. Engine quiet and smooth. Good luck with your installation. We had ours done by a professional but he was full of praise for Beta back up on any questions he had.
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 12:03   #34

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

One of the fundamental differences between the Beta and Yanmar is that the Yanmar is designed for marine applications (the smaller engines are specifically designed for the pleasure craft market) while the Kubota engine is designed for the agricultural and construction industries. The pleasure craft application is a very light duty market, after all, how frequently do you run your engine at Wide Open Throttle? The construction and agricultural industries, on the other hand, are notorious for demanding and even abusive duty requirements of their diesel power and operating at full throttle, full load is often a standard operating procedure. I have worked in heavy equipment repair and have an agricultural background.

All that being said, we installed a Beta 90 over two years ago and have been delighted with it. We now have 1,500 hours on the engine and not only has it been surprisingly economical, but I don't think it has even leaked a single drop of fuel, oil or coolant.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 14:22   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
I have a Yanmar 3JH4E. I have found parts to be very reasonably priced. Filters and impellers cheaper than Defender. And if you travel internationally you will find parts abroad at those "protected" dealerships by Yanmar and not much for anyone else. But if you are just staying near the marina it may not matter. You may think that in these days of DHL you do not need parts availability abroad but try importing parts to some countries and you will know what I mean. My old Westerbeke was a nightmare. This quote about Yanmar does not jive with my experience as an owner. Also, I found almost no difference in initial price from Beta. I did my own installation and apples to apples my Yanmar was about the same as Beta quote. Both were helpful on the phone. My local dealer was great with help on my questions during self install.
You are entitled to your opinion about parts availability for Yanmar engines, but as we have wandered about the Pacific we have encountered too many Yanmar owners with parts supply problems to agree with you.

This even includes the island nation of Australia, where we've listened to yotties complain about the inability of dealers to supply even parts which are commonly replaced... for instance the exhaust mixer gooseneck which seems to be water soluble.

Kubota basic engine parts seem to be fairly available from the tractor stores here in Oz. The purpose built marinization bits from Beta, Nanni et al are, of course, dependent on those dealers, and are not always readily available. Sadly, these seem to be the bits that require replacement most often!

The bottom line for this situation is to carry spares for the bits most likely to fail, no matter what sort of engine you may have!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-02-2013, 18:17   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The bottom line for this situation is to carry spares for the bits most likely to fail, no matter what sort of engine you may have!

Cheers,

Jim
This might be a good subject for another thread. My list of spares would include the following:

1) injector(s)
2) water pump (and rebuild kits)
3) starter
4) filters (oil, air, fuel)
5) thermostat
6) ?

What else would you carry, if your were planning a circumnavigation?
Old 20-02-2013, 18:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambolera View Post
This might be a good subject for another thread. My list of spares would include the following:

1) injector(s)
2) water pump (and rebuild kits)
3) starter
4) filters (oil, air, fuel)
5) thermostat
6) ?

What else would you carry, if your were planning a circumnavigation?
Belts!
Zincs
Old 21-02-2013, 06:04   #38

fuel pump
Old 20-03-2013, 10:02   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post

Belts!
Zincs
Good thread. I agree with most of the stuff here. Here are some additional thoughts based on a couple years cruising in Central America.

If you carry oil ( and I found proper oil harder to find than I had anticipated in Southern Mexico and the rest of Central America) be sure to pack it for chafe as the plastic containers are gonna rub a lot. Don"t ask how I learned this.
A ton of Racor filters. I supplied a lot of these to fellow cruisers who had shortages.
A starter is expensive and very heavy. Yes, you could burn the sucker beyond repair, but that is probably not likely. I found that folks in other countries are much more skilled and interested in repair rather than replacement. The starter on my old Westerbeke was a truck standard widely used. Lots of generator and starter repair shops in other countries. When I had a problem with the solenoid on my Westerbeke, I was able to get a replacement in a Panamanian auto parts store.
Spare autopilot (an old belt or wheel drive would do) you really do not want to be left steering under power. And, unless your intention is to homestead, you will be motoring more than you ever imagined when cruising if you are not in the tradewinds.
Castine, Maine
Old 20-03-2013, 16:16   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
A starter is expensive and very heavy. Yes, you could burn the sucker beyond repair, but that is probably not likely. I found that folks in other countries are much more skilled and interested in repair rather than replacement. The starter on my old Westerbeke was a truck standard widely used. Lots of generator and starter repair shops in other countries. When I had a problem with the solenoid on my Westerbeke, I was able to get a replacement in a Panamanian auto parts store.
I included the starter from my own experience. The first time it failed, I was in Barra de Navidad, Mexico. The bendix gear stripped and a replacement couldn't be found locally. It was a Volvo and left hand drive; maybe for this reason. I made a trip back to the States to repair it and bought another, rebuilt, for a spare.

It was a good investment. Twice since, I had the starter fail and it always happened in a bad place and at the wrong time. It only takes an hour to replace it with the spare. In both instances, the failed starter was repairable locally, but I was no where near a place to have it repaired when it failed.

Yes, starters are heavy, as are many things that we carry on our boats. It all depends on your cruising grounds, I suppose. I'm off to the South Pacific next and I will have a spare starter on board. My Beta 38 uses Kabota tractor parts and I found one brand new for $100.
Old 31-12-2014, 08:49   #41

Boat: Scout 30

I think you just described Volvo's business model.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 02:23   #42

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread. BUT my Volvo Penta 2003T has now failed me AGAIN. This time the fuel injector pump needs servicing. It leaks like a prep kid with a cold. It's noisey and smelly. I'm not prepared to spend the roughly $4000 I'd need to spend to do what needs doing and then take the risk of it failing when I'm miles out.

It drips raw water
The water pump needs replacement
It needs four new engine mounts
A new exhaust elbow with the ss insert
A new fuel filter mount (as bleed screw is stripped)

I've narrowed my main thoughts down to these two engines as well.

How are you both travelling now two years down the track? Both engines are available to me locally in my island state.

Costs of both I don't know as yet.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 05:30   #43

My 3JH Yanmar has had no issues in 7 years since I installed it. I have put about 800 hours on it, so I am not doing long passages, but there have been no issues whatsoever. I am probably going to inspect the elbow for the first time as I commission it this year, but there is no indication that flow has been reduced and I am in saltwater. I have not done anything to the engine besides change the oil and filters religiously.
Castine, Maine
Old 28-04-2016, 11:00   #44

Boat: Rival 36

I've sold the boat with our Beta 38, but the new buyer, who was a yacht electrician was delighted he had a Beta.

Never gave us any trouble and a joy to maintain! We did about 600 hours before it was sold.

Our new boat has a Yanmar 56 and while a lovely engine it in nowhere near as easy to get at the bits you need. If I was replacing it I'd go Beta.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:19   #45

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread. BUT my Volvo Penta 2003T has now failed me AGAIN. This time the fuel injector pump needs servicing. It leaks like a prep kid with a cold. It's noisey and smelly. I'm not prepared to spend the roughly $4000 I'd need to spend to do what needs doing and then take the risk of it failing when I'm miles out.

It drips raw water
The water pump needs replacement
It needs four new engine mounts
A new exhaust elbow with the ss insert
A new fuel filter mount (as bleed screw is stripped)

I've narrowed my main thoughts down to these two engines as well.

How are you both travelling now two years down the track? Both engines are available to me locally in my island state.

Costs of both I don't know as yet.
I know it's not on your list, but you could consider a Volvo Penta D2-40. It's super smooth compared to a 2003T or it's successor the MD 2040. Runs same RPM as 2003T and has 4 cylinders. Having made the change myself recently, that is a super upgrade. Size is just a few cm longer, all other sizes are smaller. VP has special kits available to swap the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ralentir_D2-40.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	123319  
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar