Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-06-2015, 09:14   #16

Boat: No boat right now
Re: Beta 20 (Kubota) will not idle (? Injectors)

Is there a secondary fuel filter on the engine...if so, it may be clogged and need to be replaced as well. You only discuss the primary fuel filter so far.

It sounds like you have some crud somewhere in the fuel system.

ALSO...if you just changed the fuel tank....make sure you have a VENT, and its clear...especially at the hull where the spiders live.

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 17:21   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I second a partially blocked fuel tank vent.

seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:26   #18

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger, (last boat: BoB 1964 'Bobcat')
Beta 20 (Kubota) will not idle (? Injectors)

Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Hi Folks - any ideas?

Beta 20hp only runs at high RPM and cuts out above the idle speed (at about 950rpm indicated but gauge may be faulty). This following a 6 month layup ashore installed in the boat and just after fitting a new fuel hose, cleaned fuel filter/water trap and bleeding the system. This happened even when the engine was hot.

It initially started at the first attempt but then cut out after about 30 secs. For the initial 30 secs it ran perfectly. Re bled the whole fuel system and checked for air locks and fuel flow up to and including the fuel pump and injectors. It is rough running but on all 3 cylinders. After the engine warmed up it was possible to reduce from the very high rpm gradually but not to the idling rpm or smooth running.

I should also mention that when it was test run last season in the boat laid up ashore, it was without a fuel filter but with a new (clean) fuel tank and marine diesel.

RPM gauge is only reading up to 1000rpm even when revved up well beyond and it doesn't always return to zero (but this maybe a separate issue). Before removing the injectors for testing and/or the fuel pump any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Could this be caused by blocked injector/s from sediment in the fuel pump or elsewhere? Many thanks for any help.
Share a piece of my humble pie ...

Many thanks to you all for your inputs. I have the answer now and hang my head in shame - it was on my out of season to do list! I forgot to replace the air filter or check it earlier, since I thought I had already replaced it! Yes, you've guessed - it was in a terrible mess and had given up following the delivery passage.

Not sure what lessons I have learned from this - a lot of wasted time and effort because I did not revisit my maintenance list from a long while back. Don't just log it ... Check it!

Thanks again to you all - happy sailing. Now I must get on with fabricating those two new rudders for my old cat (separate thread) ...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 17:10   #19
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Thanks for update, great to see it resolved even if the solution came complete with a small serve of umble pie

Oh and note I am using umble pie as opposed to your humble pie ( see google )
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:50   #20

Boat: Bill O'Brien 1975 'Amazon' 8m Cat & Wharram 'Melanesia' 5m Outrigger, (last boat: BoB 1964 'Bobcat')

Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Below are some checks suggested by Tech Support which might be of interest to others or worthy of further discussion.

1. Check Stop Solenoid is OK ie lever free and button/key working (no need to start engine).

2. Check Loop in the hose up to the fuel lift pump which prevents 'drain down'.

(Drain Down necessitates bleeding fuel each time if engine left unused for long time)

3. If Fuel Contamination suspected take supply direct from a clean container to lift pump.

4. Re Bleed from fuel tank to injector pump and injectors if necessary and try again.

5. Check if Injector Pump Spring has broken possibly due to corrosion eg water in system.
Seems I have been a bit unlucky or not learned the lessons of last year! Similar problem this year after long period of not running the engine and I hope to get the boat back in the water soon. No pressure/resistance when hand priming the lift pump, possibly due to lack of a 'loop' to ensure the lift pump is kept well primed when not in use! Maybe even the cam is in the wrong position and engine must be turned.

However, (more humble pie required here) it could be the secondary fuel filter which was cleverly disguised with red paint (like the rest of the engine) and in a different position to any picture or drawing I have seen so far. Maybe that is because the engine is older (Sept 2004) and the filter has been moved to a different position on the newer models.

Since the secondary filter cannot have been changed since new (still painted red) that could well be the problem. Although only about 100hrs on the clock, it is such a long time that it is going to be very difficult to get that filter off without breaking something. Any ideas very welcome. In the meantime, I shall check the loop in the fuel hose is high enough and consider an outboard type finger pump between the two filters to make bleeding the system quicker and easier.

Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: