Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 04:49   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Best way to transfer fuel from Jerry Jugs to fuel tank?

we do it mexican style--put a hose into a jug, make a seal and blow into jug. all the liquid exits jug and enters tank. havent lost a drop yet and no swigging diesel.. yukkkkk
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:28   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesherpa View Post
I now use a small battery-operated hand pump like this
Amazon.com: Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB5684: Home Improvement

Very convenient, no spilling, reasonably fast fuel transfer.
I used to use the snake siphon, but it was more difficult with a moving boat or in rough seas to pump out all fuel from the jerry jugs.
During summer in crowed Med marinas, I now almost always refill using jerry jugs using that small pump.

I have one also, useful for outboard fuel tank top up and Honda generator too, surprisingly good for the low cost.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:36   #18

Boat: Islander 36

Some at-sea refueling tips and ideas here (starting on slide 13):

http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Jef...ReturnTrip.pdf
hodgmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:42   #19

In France little pumps are used to fill paraffin heaters from bidon (20 ltr. container). You pump the bulb of the hand one a couple of times, then the natural syphon action kicks in. You can buy a battery driven one for about €10
nebeluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:07   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I second this ........ very useful and affordable. Buy several; water, diesel, petrol etc. and identify them by putting coloured cable ties on them (we use green for water, black for diesel and blue for petrol). We have also added a wrap round weight to the diesel and petrol lines to keep them at the bottom and not curling upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A cheap, shake siphon
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:21   #21

Boat: Young 42

The shaker syphons usually work well enough, but at anchor or in calm waters, I prefer to use my Baja filter. It keeps the flow at a slow, controlled pace, and has the added advantage of filtering out any condensation and debris.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:25   #22

Boat: Hunter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I use a 3/8" fuel hose and a squeeze bulb to siphon with. It's slow, but I get every last drop out of the jerry jug. I also tip the jug to make the narrow corner of the bottom the low spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I do the same but added a copper tube about 18 inches long with a small angle cut on the end that goes to the bottom. The tube is long enough to go through the spout opening and reach to the opposite lower corner of the jug. Works fine.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 08:43   #23

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Thumbs up Re: Best way to transfer fuel from Jerry Jugs to fuel tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
My onboard fuel polisher has a small electric pump and is built around a Raycor 900 filter. I have installed two little brass valves, one on the intake hose and one on the output. This allows me to divert suction from either the main fuel tank or an auxiliary intake hose, and to divert output to either the main fuel tank or an auxiliary output hose.

To transfer fuel from any of my six 5-gallon plastic jerry jugs, I simply take the auxiliary intake hose and insert it into the bottom of the jug, setting the valve to use that hose, and leave the output valve in position to transfer directly to the main fuel tank.

It takes about 5 minutes to transfer most of the fuel in a jug to the main fuel tank, after which I can either pour the remainder into the fuel opening atop the tank if it's calm enough or wait to do it later.

With this system I can add the contents of three jugs (15 gals) in less than 30 minutes, including setup and cleanup.

The system works for me in both calm conditions and in pretty rough seas.

BTW, the fuel goes thru the Racor 900 filter on its way to the fuel tank.

Bill

Brilliant....
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:07   #24

I may be missing something here, but for 20 years I used a large sized Baha funnel with fine mesh to strain out water to fill a 130 gallon tank, Water in fuel is not uncommon.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:19   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

due to the frequent if not constant appearance of water and filth in diesel fuel, perhaps the last few ounces in the jug are better off left inside that jug.
ever consider this option, that the siphons were designed with your boat in mind.
or something like that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:42   #26

Uhhh... simply use the can spout and pour it in? Faster, less exposure of the fill cap being open.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:48   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Uhhh... simply use the can spout and pour it in? Faster, less exposure of the fill cap being open.
And usually a big mess getting close to an environmental disaster when done at sea
Old 21-02-2016, 09:52   #28

Yeah, maybe. But then a cheap stiff siphon hose stuck in the fill with the can sitting on deck, cabin, cockpit somewhere nearby is also... and for a lot longer time!
prethink it, do it when the waters best case scenario... not when you are almost out of fuel and the winds blowing! :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:59   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, maybe. But then a cheap stiff siphon hose stuck in the fill with the can sitting on deck, cabin, cockpit somewhere nearby is also... and for a lot longer time!
prethink it, do it when the waters best case scenario... not when you are almost out of fuel and the winds blowing! :>)
Have you tried the shaker siphons? They are cheap , easy to use and work plus you don't need to blow or suck into anything. Not sure that saying you should transfer fuel in calm seas is any help to someone on passage and needing to add some fuel to safely finish.
Old 21-02-2016, 10:00   #30

Boat: Islander 36

This can be way more simple than you think.

Zero pumps involved. And no shaker valve.

The problem is in how you see starting the siphon process. But since you are transferring part with the siphon valve and then you loose the siphon, start with why you loose the siphon.

Do you have something rigid attached to the hose to keep the hose from curling up and off of the bottom?

Even if you do, the shaker valve is likely working against you.

So if you remove the shaker valve, you're worried about how to start the siphon without sucking on the line.

None of that. Don't even go there.

You need 2 hoses. One about as long as you can stand it. The other about 8 inches long.

The lone one has a piece of pvc pipe that it will fit inside of the hold it rigid. Make it long enough to go to the bottom of your jerry jug and have enough outside so it can't go all of the way in. This is your control handle.

Put the long hose with it's pipe in the jerry jug. Put the other end as deep into the fill neck as works for you.

Put the short hose into the Jerry jug. Do NOT put it in so deep that it is submerged in the fuel.

With only your hand you should now be able to make enough of a seal around both hoses to facilitate getting a siphon started by blowing into the short hose. This will create enough pressure in the can to drive the fuel up and out of the long hose.

Siphon started.

If you're trying to start a siphon from a can that is not full, it of course takes more lung volume. But not so much.

I have done this on the high seas. I have also seen this done with 55 gallon drums. So it should work with your your Jerry cans.

Hope that helps.

Tags
fuel, fuel tank