Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 07:29   #1
wal

Boat: Morgan OI 415
Best way to remove engine and genset from a Morgan OI 41?

Anybody knows what is the best way to remove the Perkins 4.108 and the Onan 7.5KW genset from the 415? I'm repowering the boat and could disassemble the engine in situ, like removing the ancillaries, transmission and the head and slide it out sideways somehow, but the genset is huge, I have no idea how to remove that thing.
wal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:33   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Best way to remove engine and genset from a Morgan OI 41?

Dynamite
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:09   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Your boat yard should be able to work with you on that.
Some boat yards are pretty crafty like that, using fork trucks or a crane
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:09   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If you're going to re-power, and clean up the space, etc.... your best bet is to cut out the cockpit sole. It seems daunting at first, but when the benefits are weighed against the trouble of going out any other way it's really not that big of a deal. Remember it's only fiberglass and is easy to patch back up.
As an aside, it really easy to clean, paint, and re-wire while the top is off!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:15   #5
wal

Boat: Morgan OI 415

Cutting the cockpit sole is what popped into my mind too. I have an inch of discoloration too due to the rainwater and a clogged drain so I need to paint it anyways. I would do the wires too while I'm there.
Thanks for the replies guys!
wal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 09:34   #6

Believe it or not you can pull the head and all other parts that would get in your way and dissconnecting from the trany of course. Then lift it with blocks to get it up high enough to do a full rebuild with it right in the engine bay. I know this sounds difficult as space is limited but it can be done and with the use of many foul words to abuse it while beating it with a large rubber hammer......in the end it's doable. send the head off while rebuilding the bottom end. expect a month or so to retrieve it. if your on a budget then dong the head yourself is possible but check it for cracks you will need magnification. a jewlers loop is always a good way and look between the valves as this is where the problems are. My honest opinion about doing all this work. Pull the motor and ship it to a builder. replace all valves, guides, springs and every other part you can cause you never ever wanna do this rebuild again. Also run the engine for at least an several hours before putting the motor back in. Sometimes leaks will appear as well as many other problems. And don't take the shops word for it that they ran it. If they are to run the engine then be there when they do and step up to control the run time. show up with plenty of diesel for the amount of time your going to run it. not going to write book here so i'll relieve you of this. Best wishes
txflyguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 09:35   #7

I just re read your post, you are re powering the boat.. What are you planing on doing with old motor?
txflyguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 21:40   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I have a Perkins 4-154 on my Morgan 462. I would not bother to do a major rebuild as I've been told those engine parts have been out of production for many years and getting replacements for some parts (the heat exchanger comes to mind) could be near impossible. Check with a Perkins dealer to see if my info is correct. If so, it may be best to replace with a newer model engine if it can be afforded.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, morgan