Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2012, 08:27   #1

Boat: Ericson 26
Best Water Separator / Fuel Filter for a Yanmar 1gm

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to replace the old and non-working filter/separator that my e26 has in it with something a bit more useful and easy to service. In looking at all the various options for Filter/Separators I am a little overwhelmed.

Can anyone recommend which one I should install for my Yanmar 1gm? Its a small engine with 2-3gpm draw on the fuel pump and not a lot of room for installation. Many people like the Racor but with all the options and price differences I am not sure which way to go... I am planning on putting an electric pump in front of the filter as well to aide in bleeding.

Do I want one of the cheaper ones with cartriges or should I go for the more expensive ones with the filter elements. People say the cartridges are a nightmare to find replacements for since there are so many sizes....

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Adam
SteppingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 08:34   #2

Re: Best water separator / fuel filter for a Yanmar 1gm

The cheapest and smallest turbine style filter you can probably pick up is a Griffin GTB228. It is 5" in diameter and 11.5" tall and costs around 130-150 bucks. If that won't fit you'll probably need a cartridge. I'd put the GTB228 in if you can fit it.

As a side note, I'd put the pump behind the filter to protect it. Since "in front" and "behind" are ambiguous, what I'm really saying is the fuel system would go like this:

Tank -> GTB228 -> Pump/Bulb -> Engine

On a system as small as yours, you could also just use a bulb instead of an electric pump to prime and bleed.
Old 21-02-2012, 09:03   #3

Re: Best water separator / fuel filter for a Yanmar 1gm

The spin on cartridge option with the see thru bowl on the bottom wouldnt be bad in your application. Many pumps dont suck well... I would put the pump before the filter so it's pushing through not trying to suck through the filter resistance...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, water, yanmar