Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 07:22   #1

Best Location For Raw Water Strainer?

Above, at, or below waterline? Seems like I have seen all of the above installations. Which is best and why?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 07:33   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Best Location For Raw Water Strainer?

It depends on what system the raw water strainer is feeding. Some pumps just after the raw water strainer do not create a vacuum and must be placed below the waterline as well as the raw water strainer located before it or it will not prime. Other systems can draw great vacuum and the raw water strainer can be located above the waterline.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 07:51   #3

Ideally above the waterline so that you can clean the strainer without having to close the thru-hull. But that depends on the ability of the raw water pump to draw.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 08:25   #4

Boat: csy 37

Mine is 9 inches tall. The top 3 or 4 inches is above the WL so I can unscrew the cover, pull out the screen, and clean it without closing the thruhull. Its also low enough that the engine raw water pump doesnt do much lifting.

OTOH, its good to open and close the thruhull valves periodically to keep them from freezing up.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 08:41   #5

I vote below or as far down as possible. Self priming. You should be able to close that seacock anyway... and usually the strainer is right there.

However on caveat; if it's one of those plastic housing strainers "Above!"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 04:43   #6

The strainer is a bronze Perko, the water pump on the engine can lift 2M. Can dismount strainer from the bulkhead with a single screw to drop it below the water line to prime it easily so think I will hang it above the waterline.

Agreed about using seacocks to prevent from seizing, in this case seacock is brand new.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 05:15   #7

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

I am surprised that not one of the many experts on this forum that could do a lot better job of explaining this than I have responded but I will give it a go. Neither the pump nor the strainer should be at or above the waterline to ensure that there is some head pressure to push the water into the pump. As well it is always critical to make sure that there is an upward incline from the thruhull to the strainer and if possible onward to the pump. Not so critical and mostly not possible with engines and generators but with aircon, toilet, washdown, reefer it is essential for them to maintain their prime and serious damage to the pumps and compressors, etc can occur otherwise.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:37   #8

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I have two strainers on my boat and they are both below the waterline. I could not put these above the waterline if I wanted, there just is no space available. We have deep draft and the floorboards are about 8" below the waterline. Yes, I have to close a seacock when cleaning the strainer, but that's just the way it is.

Are you considering relocating a strainer?

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 05:37   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
I am surprised that not one of the many experts on this forum that could do a lot better job of explaining this than I have responded but I will give it a go. Neither the pump nor the strainer should be at or above the waterline to ensure that there is some head pressure to push the water into the pump. As well it is always critical to make sure that there is an upward incline from the thruhull to the strainer and if possible onward to the pump. Not so critical and mostly not possible with engines and generators but with aircon, toilet, washdown, reefer it is essential for them to maintain their prime and serious damage to the pumps and compressors, etc can occur otherwise.
Onestep37 explained this well - you can have the best of both worlds by choosing a strainer design in which the top of it can be installed above waterline, while still maintaining full flow and head pressure to the pump.

Most pumps installed on auxiliary equipment are either self-priming impeller or run-dry centrifugal types. Neither of these will be damaged by losing prime and most compressors will shut themselves down very quickly if cooling is lost.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 08:13   #10

Boat: csy 37

Mark, I wish I could take credit for that, but it came that way from the factory. It still amazes me how many little things were well thought out by the original designer/builder of these boats.

For instance, every one of the seven bronze seacocks can be accessed in less than ten seconds.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 08:20   #11

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

How about the little 2GM20 s? I would expect they could lift a foot or two wo a problem. Once the cover is back on, and seacock open, there should only be as much head as the tubing and fittings contribute if the pump is below the WL is most if not all 2GM20 installations.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 08:39   #12

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Below the waterline.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 08:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
The strainer is a bronze Perko, the water pump on the engine can lift 2M. Can dismount strainer from the bulkhead with a single screw to drop it below the water line to prime it easily so think I will hang it above the waterline.

Agreed about using seacocks to prevent from seizing, in this case seacock is brand new.
I'm not sure it will lift at all when the pump and strainer are full of air only. In that situation you will likely have to fill the strainer with water manually with the seacock closed until you start right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:04   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Most strainers are air-tight (a side function of them being water-tight), and most impellers can pull this small amount of air away without damage on initial start up.

The biggest issue would be a small air leak that allowed the strainer to empty every time the engine shut down. This would wear out impellers much quicker.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 12:07   #15

Boat: Columbia 36

Mine are below the water line and right next to the through hull feeding them. What's so hard about throwing the seacock lever?
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water