Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 10:01   #1

Boat: Crown 34
Best Gas for Outboards

All,

I recently picked up my 4-stroke outboard from the shop where it received its annual servicing.
By chance I overheard the mechanic talking to someone about gasoline and when he finished up I asked if he was making a recommendation to someone.
What he told me was REALLY interesting:
In British Columbia, the only places where you should get gas for an outboard is Esso or Petro-Canada. He said that everyone else had either additives or contained ethanol that was not good for these motors. He even went on to say that the pink coloured gas we buy from the dock pumps (the stuff that is 'supposed' to be cheaper since there is no road tax applied) actually has a small amount of DIESEL added to give it the colour. While this was fine in the short term, the continued use of dock gas would also cause build-up and reduce efficiency in your motor.
A friend has also told me that ethanol-based gas will start to go bad much faster than non-ethanol. Regardless of the fuel I use, I have always used a stabiliser. The marine environment is so harsh that it just seemed like a good idea.
Thoughts on these???
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 10:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Best gas for outboards

Try to get gas without ethanol. Fuel injected engines are more resistant to the problems associated with ethanol than are carbureted engines.

Other than biocides for killing fuel digesting bacteria, I don't think additives do much at all. This of course applies to Diesel and not gasoline.

The pink coloration is a dye only. It may also be true that an additive might be added, but the additive is not pink. Biocide is added to some diesel now. Alcohol is added to most gasoline now.

At work for our small boats we are gradually changing over to fuel injected outboards because we cannot get gasoline without alcohol at any of the local fuel docks.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 10:22   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i used a filter in line between the tank and engine with great results-- didnt have to keep rebuilding the carb... beware of ethanol.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 10:27   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Filters will not work for removing ethanol. Dissolved Ethanol is at the molecular level and there is no fuel filter with a small enough mesh to filter at that level. A good outboard will have a filter for removing solid particles...as small as 2 microns, or whatever the manufacturer installed.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 10:31   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I found that after running out of US fuel with the ethanol the outboard was a friendlier beast when consuming mexican, belezian, and guatemalan gasoline.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 10:37   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

filters do not work for ethanol, but they do rid the fuel of particulate stuff called dirt that is in the refueling station tanks..... makes a difference- and watch out for the ethanol in fuels---as i stated...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 12:58   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
The issues with ethanol are many. First off in older fuel lines that are not ethanol resistant, ethanol will dry out and deteriorate the insides of the lines and clog filters carbs etc. Then ethanol starts phase separation. Very quickly. Its typically "bad" after 3-4 months. Most fuels are supposed to be less than 10% or E10. For our friends with fiberglass fuel tanks hattys etc you cannot use fuel with any ethanol in it. It will destroy the tanks and clog the fuel system. Then another overlooked factor is if your E10 has even a tiny bit of moisture in it when it combusts, it causes formic acid that is extremely hard on oil and internal engine parts especially if you have a fourstroke. Don't think its a huge issue in other countries but sucks here
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 13:41   #8
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
At work for our small boats we are gradually changing over to fuel injected outboards because we cannot get gasoline without alcohol at any of the local fuel docks.

There's small fuel injected outboards? What brands?
Old 21-03-2012, 13:51   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Now there are propane OB's. >>> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rds-77039.html
Old 21-03-2012, 16:18   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don, Im pretty sure that all Suzukie 4 strokes are EFI at least my 50 and my 15 are. I still don't run any alcohol added gas !
Old 21-03-2012, 16:40   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I'm talking 5-10 HP
Old 21-03-2012, 17:54   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im not sure how small they make efi in ! but Im sure you can find out on line ! Google maybe?? the one I was thinking of may have been a 10 horse! is hondas new 9.9 efi ??I don't know?
Old 21-03-2012, 19:22   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Dulcesuenos said it best. If you use ethanol then run your engine's carb dry each time you use it. If you have fiberglass tanks then find a fuel source that has no ethanol. We've suffered here in Hawaii a lot because of this and the state who declared we must use ethanol doesn't care because their cars don't have fiberglass tanks.
The pink dye and diesel won't harm your engine.
kind regards,
Old 22-03-2012, 06:10   #14

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Don, Im pretty sure that all Suzukie 4 strokes are EFI at least my 50 and my 15 are. I still don't run any alcohol added gas !
Suzuki is listing everything 25hp and below as Fuel Delivery System = Carburetor.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote