Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 05:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Best Fuel for a Two-Stroke

I have an ancient Tohatsu 2 stroke. In addition to the obvious stuff, oil, ethanol treatment, I was just wondering what type of fuel is best to use?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Gasoline.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:29   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Gasoline.
You beat me too it.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Gasoline.
LOL! Oops. I'm noticing more and more that you have to choose your words wisely around here. I was referring to octane. Is there a preference to Super vs. the el cheapo stuff?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:33   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
The only reason to use high octane is when you have a high performance high compression engine. Your tohatsu outboard has neither. Buy the cheapest gasoline you can and mix the oil in.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:39   #6

Octane is less of an issue than ethanol. Ethanol enhanced fuels tend to absorb moisture out of atmosphere in a vented fuel systems.

Most outboards mid 70’s and newer were designed to live on a maximum of 10%. The problem arises when the suspended ethanol has absorbed somewhere around 2% by volume water and separates, ending up in the bottom of the fuel tank. (Google “Phase separation marine”) To be noted – this is the where the fuel pickup is. Depending on humidity can take as little as 3 weeks.

With that we now have a real good solvent that loves to eat everything from fuel lines to fiberglass, corrodes aluminum and can affect various other engine parts.

Keeping the fuel fresh and in an un-vented container is the best way to prevent it.

Hope this helps

Rick
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 16:05   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The new "corn alcohol" mixed gasoline blends have been a major source of problems with motors not built to use the stuff. If you can find the old fashioned "straight stuff" gasoline that is what you should use. If you cannot then you will have to search for some additive or something to counteract the alcohol blended into the new ecologically correct-gasoline. If not then buy a new outboard or move to someplace that has "real" gasoline.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:41   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The only reason to use high octane is when you have a high performance high compression engine. Your tohatsu outboard has neither. Buy the cheapest gasoline you can and mix the oil in.
That's what I figured, but I did just have a dive compressor manufacturer recommend I use I high octane in that engine, so it did get me questioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If you can find the old fashioned "straight stuff" gasoline that is what you should use. If you cannot then you will have to search for some additive or something to counteract the alcohol blended into the new ecologically correct-gasoline. If not then buy a new outboard or move to someplace that has "real" gasoline.
That much I knew. Been using an addative. Really, the new outboards are designed to use the ethanol gas? Where exactly should I move to? I thought it was next to impossible to find non ethanol gas these days. Maybe to an island that has their own refinery...Aruba perhaps?
Old 07-08-2010, 19:34   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
The Key is to use the fuel....quickly as it doesn't do well in long term storage........

I doubt you could go to a general aviation airport and get a few gallons of avgas.......The trip would be cost prohibitive?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 19:38   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Go easy on the additives.....I fix a lot of carburetors and fuel sytems that have a real witches brew in them....acetone, alcohol, paint thinner, Marvel Mystery Oil, Trans fluid (it's red too), gumout, stabilizer........

I recently had a guy ask me at a Marine Store how many quarts of acetone he should put in his fuel tank......My tongue in cheek comment was...."The same ratio you put in your car" (He "got" it)
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 20:11   #11

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Quote:
Most outboards mid 70’s and newer were designed to live on a maximum of 10%. The problem arises when the suspended ethanol has absorbed somewhere around 2% by volume water and separates, ending up in the bottom of the fuel tank. (Google “Phase separation marine”) To be noted – this is the where the fuel pickup is. Depending on humidity can take as little as 3 weeks.
I read through my manual for my 1990 Johnson 4 hp and it said it is designed for 10% ethanol. That surprised me because I know of several fishermen that have had their newer outboards fouled by the stuff.

The info about it separating and building up makes sense then since they generally have much bigger tanks and never run them dry.

Makes me feel a little better about not being able to find 100% stuff. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2010, 21:46   #12

Offroad fuel gas isn't required to have ethanol, you may be able to get it at the jobber fuel distibutor, the same one the farms and such use, a little bit of a pain but works so much better and a lot less problems.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:20   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
"Where exactly should I move to? I thought it was next to impossible to find non ethanol gas these days. Maybe to an island that has their own refinery...Aruba perhaps?"
Answer: Anywhere outside the territories of the USA. IMHO from research into the real costs of making corn alcohol gasoline shows that it is a strictly "political" product and actually costs more in "oil" consumed to make it than it replaces.
- - But anyway all the other countries of the western hemisphere use good old fashioned gasoline and 2-cycle outboards. I just loaded up my jerry cans with gasoline in Trinidad before sailing back to Grenada - the price per gallon US$0.43
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:37   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Go easy on the additives.....I fix a lot of carburetors and fuel sytems that have a real witches brew in them....acetone, alcohol, paint thinner, Marvel Mystery Oil, Trans fluid (it's red too), gumout, stabilizer........
Paint thinner! All I'm adding is a little bit of ethanol treatment (the stuff you get from West, Defender, etc.)...and I mean a little bit. Maybe some Sta-bil if the fuel isn't going to be used right away. Tough to avoid unless you're putting a lot of miles on the dink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Offroad fuel gas isn't required to have ethanol, you may be able to get it at the jobber fuel distibutor, the same one the farms and such use, a little bit of a pain but works so much better and a lot less problems.
That's going to be a little tough to manage while cruising. Do they list those places on Active Captain?

I like osirissail's answer the best. Move out of the US. And I also agree about it being at least partially politically motivated.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
. And I also agree about it being at least partially politically motivated.
You bet. The ethanol lobby is huge. In fact there is a move afoot to increase the amount from 10% to 15%.
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, fuel